Options

Apple iPhone 6 appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like there's going to be a 6c phone as well.

Interesting, although this site makes the point we haven't seen any leaked plastic chassis yet.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/3532223/iphone-6c-release-date-rumours/
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Interesting, although this site makes the point we haven't seen any leaked plastic chassis yet.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/3532223/iphone-6c-release-date-rumours/

A company is taking orders for the 6C 5.5 inch covers :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a586212/apple-iphone-6c-cases-listed-by-retailer.html#~oKWOHUsjhsnfc1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We have companies do this every time. It doesn't mean they have seen a 6C yet.

Until there are photos of a 6C body, I remain sceptical.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Going back to the glass for a minute, I don't think it will be sapphire either. it would be too expensive/difficult to produce. If someone has scratched it then it's not sapphire.
    The only thing that can scratch Sapphire is diamond or possibly another sapphire.
    I have a Rolex Explorer (I hasten to add, bought with some money left to me by my Grandmother, I couldn't bloody afford one myself : )
    It has a sapphire crystal, I have worn it everyday for 8 years. In this time it has been bumped, scratched, accidentally scraped against all manner of stone and concrete walls (Did I mention I live on a farm?), been swimming countess times in pools and the sea, strimming, wood cutting, etc, etc.....
    Not a single hairline scratch on it. Not one. Still crystal clear as the day it was bought.
    It would be lovely to have a phone with the same glass (although it's not technically glass of course) but I don;t think it's happening.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have companies do this every time. It doesn't mean they have seen a 6C yet.

Until there are photos of a 6C body, I remain sceptical.

I think a 6C will be for 2015.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Has all the 32GB versions of the top end iPhones been around the £650 mark?

Just want a ruff estimation on how much it will cost me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Has all the 32GB versions of the top end iPhones been around the £650 mark?

Just want a ruff estimation on how much it will cost me.

I think the 32GB 5s was £600 SIM free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 32GB 5s was £600 SIM free.

A quick check on the Apple UK website says the 32GB iPhone 5s is £629.

I don't think Apple would get away with a huge price hike for the 4.7 inch model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A quick check on the Apple UK website says the 32GB iPhone 5s is £629.

I don't think Apple would get away with a huge price hike for the 4.7 inch model.

Yes they can. They've been saying online for months that the 4.7 inch model will be £100 more than the 5s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they can. They've been saying online for months that the 4.7 inch model will be £100 more than the 5s.

Who has?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who has?

I've been reading online for months these "experts" and "insiders" saying it will be £100 more. I read it on here months ago and I'm sure if you Google it, you will see those in the know saying the same. Just a quick Google now and a few of the sites are saying the 64g will be £803, roughly £100 more than the current price of the 5s.

A company like Apple are hardly going to charge the same price for a larger phone with better specs, longer battery life and camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reading online for months these "experts" and "insiders" saying it will be £100 more. I read it on here months ago and I'm sure if you Google it, you will see those in the know saying the same. Just a quick Google now and a few of the sites are saying the 64g will be £803, roughly £100 more than the current price of the 5s.

A company like Apple are hardly going to charge the same price for a larger phone with better specs, longer battery life and camera.

Oh right. I thought you meant Apple had said it. Yeah, it might be more expensive, though maybe not by as much as £100.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh right. I thought you meant Apple had said it. Yeah, it might be more expensive, though maybe not by as much as £100.

I reckon it will be at least £100 more.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'm the opposite - I think it will be pretty much the same price as a 5S is now. Apple are feeling the competition now and with having the bigger screen if they can keep the price around the same then it won't be a reason for people to not want one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it will be at least £100 more.
    Uswitch seems to agree there will be a big price-hike
    Going by the usual differential between UK and US Apple pricing, that ought to equate to an asking price of about £650 on this side of The Pond for the entry-level model.

That compares to a tag of £549 for the 16GB iPhone 5S and appears to corroborate long-standing rumours that Apple will hike the price of its flagship phone this time.
    I would be nervous at splashing out that kind of cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uswitch seems to agree there will be a big price-hike

I would be nervous at splashing out that kind of cash.

It goes without saying that Apple will charge a premium for a new product because they can. People will pay it no matter what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes without saying that Apple will charge a premium for a new product because they can. People will pay it no matter what it is.

That is a very negative comment, and obviously not true.

The price of the iPhone 5s and the iPad Air were roughly the same as the previous models.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    If Apple seriously hikes the price of the new iPhone £100 above the 5S then they will lose me as a customer. I love iPhone but I am not so blind as to pay rediculous sums like those mentioned, people maybe blind as to pay a premium for iPhone but if the starting price hits £650 as rumoured then I know for a fact they will alienate a large contingent of their flock who will leave for Android or Windows Phone.

If Samsung is feeling the pinch from competition in the market then you can bet Apple will do too if it does as predicted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is a very negative comment, and obviously not true.

The price of the iPhone 5s and the iPad Air were roughly the same as the previous models.

Not a negative comment. Just a realistic one based on previous years and what experts are saying now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a negative comment. Just a realistic one based on previous years and what experts are saying now.

My point is that the launch price of the 16GB iPhone has been fairly consistent.

4 £499
    4s £500
    5 £529
    5s £539

The 'experts' now say the next phone will be a lot more expensive. They have been wrong before, especially about the 5c.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My point is that the launch price of the 16GB iPhone has been fairly consistent.

4 £499
    4s £500
    5 £529
    5s £539

The 'experts' now say the next phone will be a lot more expensive. They have been wrong before, especially about the 5c.

Yeah that was a lot more expensive than they said it would be. I thought the 5s was more expensive than £539. It certainly was when it came out. It was either £549 or £550.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that was a lot more expensive than they said it would be. I thought the 5s was more expensive than £539. It certainly was when it came out. It was either £549 or £550.

You are correct, the 5s was £549 at launch. My mistake.

That means there was a 10% increase in price in 2-3 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct, the 5s was £549 at launch. My mistake.

That means there was a 10% increase in price in 2-3 years.

It might be a $100 dollar increase so not as much as £100. I hope they don't have the cheek to charge us £100 extra when it will be $100 in the US.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It might be a $100 dollar increase so not as much as £100. I hope they don't have the cheek to charge us £100 extra when it will be $100 in the US.

For most people though the actual price of the phone doesn't matter as they will be getting it on contract so depends the price the operators will be trying to get for them and what the monthly costs are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, it looks like the announcement will be on September 9th, and hopefully shipping 10 days later.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/05/apple-to-hold-iphone-event-on-september-9/

I think we can guess some of the specs:

4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens
    Thinner, lighter chassis with an iPod-touch style design
    A8 processor
    Improved camera.
    Super tough screen glass