Options

Man in ongoing standoff to prevent car parked in disabled bay from being towed

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    I think the council go overboard with the number of disabled parking spaces they create. It's disproportionate to the number of disabled people. So I don't blame the guy for parking there and in fact don't think he should of even got a ticket.

The disabled quite often get free parking so they're not going to lose a revenue stream without it being proven that its needed, but anyway a 7/10 on the troll-o-meter from me
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he is right and can sue them. If not why didn't they have him arrested for obstruction or something. All a bit strange and very silly imo
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he parked on a disabled spot by accident then I sympathise, If he did it deliberately and there was a fine he should pay it. If they tried to tow his car against regulations and there was no need because he was there, then I think he is right to sue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he is right and can sue them. If not why didn't they have him arrested for obstruction or something. All a bit strange and very silly imo

I'd imagine the bay is marked as a disabled bay but legally there is no right for it to be just for a disabled persons use a bit like disabled toilets so good manners and respect have pretty much stuff all value when you get down to the nitty gritty in a court of law.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30591166

I think he's been in his car parked on the truck for 8 hours now. Is the law the law or can some sort of temporary leniency be shown to him?

I was wondering if a friend or family member would loan him the cash just to sort it out. But I don't know if he can pay it all now and drive off or if the car does have to be impounded and then sorted out.

If he's correct about the 8 hour grace period, then he has a good point, and they should let the car go.

If he's incorrect then I've no sympathy at all.

ETA:-
    The stand-off ended at about 18:00 GMT. It was thought Mr Sanders reached an agreement with the tow company.

He said the firm, which is contracted by Birmingham City Council, had agreed not to charge him a release fee.

Was worth him sticking it out.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he did.

He was in he wrong.

Where do you get the 'disproportionate number of spaces from? :confused:

Well from my own experience when i go into town center parking or at supermarkets when it is busy the free parking bays are all disabled spaces. That to me shows they are allocating more spaces than they need to probably out of some council driven rule saying you have to have a certain % allocated and no doubt that number was pulled of thin air.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If he's correct about the 8 hour grace period, then he has a good point, and they should let the car go.

He's an arrogant idiot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I'd imagine the bay is marked as a disabled bay but legally there is no right for it to be just for a disabled persons use a bit like disabled toilets so good manners and respect have pretty much stuff all value when you get down to the nitty gritty in a court of law.
    What makes you think that? I would be very surprised as there are legal requirements in so many areas of life to make reasonable adjustments for those with disabilities. Toilets are another matter as all parking bays are equally accessible for the disabled (more or less), whilst few toilets are (proportionately). Accessible interns of being able to get into the slot. parking bays too far from where you want to go may not be of much use to the disabled and so the ones set aside for disabled need to be kept for them. Toilets just need to have some that are accessible and as long as they are not hogged for too long the disabled can access them on the same basis as everyone else, having to wait if need be. They are not for the exclusive use of the disabled. They are just accessible for the disabled as well as everyone else.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    The disabled quite often get free parking so they're not going to lose a revenue stream without it being proven that its needed, but anyway a 7/10 on the troll-o-meter from me

Actually you will find a lot of councils now charge for parking even if you have a blue badge. The spaces are simply nearer to the building/s entrance and wider.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

It's one of those 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should' things though, isn't it?
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Well from my own experience when i go into town center parking or at supermarkets when it is busy the free parking bays are all disabled spaces. That to me shows they are allocating more spaces than they need to probably out of some council driven rule saying you have to have a certain % allocated and no doubt that number was pulled of thin air.

But that's another issue for another day and another thread. He parked in a disabled space. He isn't disabled. Broke the bylaw. What's difficult to understand here?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I noted he was happy to pay the fine but not the storage. It appears that he did not notice.

As to disabled parking I have a lot of thoughts on this.

1) Should be easy for the destination and should not be taken off them for Taxis (Has in Worcester)

2) There can be way too many spots (some local shopping centres) as they are never more than half full. Also insufficient non disabled spots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

peak demand will determine whats required, when you turn up you sample the car park at that moment, 5 minutes later and half a dozen disabled drivers could turn up with wheel chairs and other essential stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

I have googled parking laws. I know sad but true.

They state councils etc., must wait for 15 minutes after a PCN as been issued before attempting to tow away a vehicle.

Not sure where this 8 hours comes from - seems an awful long time for a disabled bay to be unusable.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's another issue for another day and another thread. He parked in a disabled space. He isn't disabled. Broke the bylaw. What's difficult to understand here?

He took full responsibility for that as he had no other choice as the only spaces left were disabled ones. He is not disputing the fine . What he is disputing is the North Korean style operation which took place unfairly towing away his car in a very short and illegal space of time. The council should not only be ashamed but give him a free blue badge parking permit to compensate for what he has went through. He needs that car to see his daughter for Christmas. Did the council think of that? no.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    He's an arrogant idiot?

Well, yes........ I often see disabled spots being used by people who clearly have no disability. I saw one young guy actually run back to his car, in the disabled spot, with a bag full of shopping.

It's just rank cheating.
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I have googled parking laws. I know sad but true.

They state councils etc., must wait for 15 minutes after a PCN as been issued before attempting to tow away a vehicle.

Not sure where this 8 hours comes from - seems an awful long time for a disabled bay to be unusable.

Well researched. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your life must be difficult enough without selfish idiots like him.

Inconsiderate people do not make life any easier. I think most people have no idea how inconvenienced one can be if someone parks in a disabled space who is not disabled.

I am the main driver. In the 7 years since my husband had his stroke not once have I used his blue badge when on my own. In fact I only take the blue badge when he is with me.

I would be a total hypocrite otherwise. And unbelievably selfish:o
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, its very over the top. if people get back to their car, there is no need to take it away. Just fine them.

Problem is, a lot of people just don't pay the fines. So it ends up costing the taxpayer a fortune in chasing and court fees etc.

But he will soon cough up if he will otherwise not get his car back.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If he's knowingly illegally parked in a disabled parking space and refused to move, he's an arrogant pig. The disabled parking spaces are for those who are disabled. I don't know why he didn't just drive off instead of being unjustifiably stubborn about it.

not only that, but he`d researched it beforehand too, what a tosser.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    It's one of those 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should' things though, isn't it?

The same could be said about towing the car.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    He took full responsibility for that as he had no other choice as the only spaces left were disabled ones. He is not disputing the fine . What he is disputing is the North Korean style operation which took place unfairly towing away his car in a very short and illegal space of time. The council should not only be ashamed but give him a free blue badge parking permit to compensate for what he has went through. He needs that car to see his daughter for Christmas. Did the council think of that? no.

I honestly can't believe you are serious.

He was in the wrong.

Anything that happened after that was his responsibility.

Give him a blue badge? Now I know you're pulling my leg. :p

:D
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Precisely.

If people park in the wrong place, they should just pay up and park in the correct places, not whinge and complain.

For those who support him, how would you feel if a disabled member of your family couldn't park today because of this whinging by-law breaker?

You are confused.

No law has been broken. Parking offences were decriminalised years ago.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good one :D

Personally I would wrap his legs together and forced him to use a wheelchair and mobility car for a few months with no blue badge. That'll learn him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Inconsiderate people do not make life any easier. I think most people have no idea how inconvenienced one can be if someone parks in a disabled space who is not disabled.

I am the main driver. In the 7 years since my husband had his stroke not once have I used his blue badge when on my own. In fact I only take the blue badge when he is with me.

I would be a total hypocrite otherwise. And unbelievably selfish:o
    One of my brother's has had a stroke. It has left his walking very slow and laboured but it has taken a lot of pushing to get him to use his blue badge.

Him - "but I can drive"
    Me - "yes and lots of people who have a blue badge can drive. It isn't about driving, it's about walking and carrying stuff after you park"
    Him - "but I can walk"
    Me - yes and most people with a blue badge can walk but not very well or very easily. If you couldn't walk at all a blue badge would be of little use.

So when we were going anywhere - to doctors or to pick up prescriptions I would get him to park in the disabled bay. He was always worried that there was someone who needed it more - even though that was unlikely.

One day I was just about to get him to do this when I remembered that he wasn't actually getting out and he was driving me to the shop for something I wanted. :blush::blush::blush: I did let him park in the ordinary spot that time :)
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Honestly, you couldn't make it up!! I hope he does try to sue, the case gets thrown out and he has to pay costs.

I'm not normally vindictive, but why should he break the law and get off with it? >:(

What law has he broken ?