Options

Tarbuck/Freeman on Radio 2

ianfreemanianfreeman Posts: 300
Forum Member
Turgid chat carried out in a monotone, interspersed with appalling old music - please go away!

Comments

• Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Tarbuck yesterday and thought similar. Does anyone tune into Radio 2 at Christmas or bank holidays these days expecting to hear anything other than the standard procession of Z-listers pretending they're radio presenters? What really gets on my nerves about them is the way a lot of shows seem to be presented in this cod-ironic way, bumbling and stumbling through links in a guffawing, "radio presenting's not really my thing" manner. Go and learn the trade on Community FM and come back when you feel like doing a national radio show in an appropriate fashion.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it your not Martin Freeman's brother?:D
  • Options
    ianfreemanianfreeman Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I take it your not Martin Freeman's brother?:D

LOL. No, but if I was I'd make sure he didn't waste his talents on garbage like this!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it on in the car and was quite enjoying their rather dry style of humour, until they wheeled out Neil Spencer and his astrological mumbo-jumbo. Interesting that Martin Freeman was prepared to say he believes in God, but not to point out the sheer gullibility of believing that the time and date of anyone's birth determine the course that their life takes.

So that's a thumbs down for Tarbuck and Freeman for promulgating such worthless nonsense. Even Mahmoud Ahmadinejad talks more sense.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianfreeman wrote: »
    Turgid chat carried out in a monotone, interspersed with appalling old music - please go away!

That was it by and large , Martin freeman sounded a bit thick, well very stupid today. The music was pretty poor too until they played Gary Numan at the end with his cheerful xmas song. ;)
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Liza Tarbuck is a classic example of someone who is a good foil to a strong lead presenter but is dull when leading herself. Radio Two should know well enough to be able to tell the difference.
  • Options
    merseydavemerseydave Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    was it my imagination or when talking about eating spiders, Lisa, who sounded as if being there had disrupted her plans ask Martin, who had just said his friend Craig ate spiders, ask

"Have you ever had Craig in your mouth?"- Martin said he was " aghast" and they played the big bopper- quick!!!

I was driving in Scotland- but sure thats what was said- and yes the show was bank holiday radio 2 drivel

The station has lost its way, needs to forget about TV personalities and that includes Jimmy Carr and pull its self back together remembering the older audience

David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Radio 2 using celebrities to present shows when the real presenters are away is an excellent model and one that should be replicated elsewhere. If Paxman takes a break from Newsnight then why not bring in Jimmy Carr or Davina or Alan Carr. Peter Allis not available for the golf? ship in Paul O'Grady or Lisa Tarbuck or...let's face it any old celeb could do it because as a celeb they have the talent to do ANYTHING. Andrew Davies not available for that Jane Austen adaptation - call for Joe Pasquale!

I'm afraid the days when broadcasters worked their way through the ranks and earned their chance to broadcast on Radio 2 is so far in the past now that it's not even on the agenda anymore. Shame, some of our best broadcasters came up that way - the ones that are now replaced by Celebs when they are away.
  • Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to listen to Paul O'Grady on Xmas day on Radio 2, and to my horror, found him quite amusing. No doubt scripted but still funny.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul O'Grady knows how to ad-lib. Incidentally today, I enjoyed the 2.05-5pm slot with Lionel Richie counting down the Jacko songs. A much better alternative to Tarbuck!
  • Options
    pettawpettaw Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul O'Grady used to work on the radio years before he got famous in telly. That's probably why he was/is so good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    After the radio gold that was Danny Baker and Zoe Ball, the Tarbuck/Freeman show was boring. Bring back Danny and Zoe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    mb@2day wrote: »
    That was it by and large , Martin freeman sounded a bit thick, well very stupid today. The music was pretty poor too until they played Gary Numan at the end with his cheerful xmas song. ;)

Its always amazes me when people are surprised that actors - which is what these two are - are often revealed to be a bit thick. Especially when they have to think of the words they speak themselves. Tricky that.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite enjoying these two today...
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its always amazes me when people are surprised that actors - which is what these two are - are often revealed to be a bit thick. Especially when they have to think of the words they speak themselves. Tricky that.

It also doesn't help that Martin Freeman's primary skill - staring at the camera in the manner of Oliver Hardy - isn't very useful on radio.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellibin wrote: »
    After the radio gold that was Danny Baker and Zoe Ball, the Tarbuck/Freeman show was boring. Bring back Danny and Zoe!

Completely disagree. Love Liza and Martin and can't stand Danny Baker or Zoe Ball.

Please atomise the latter two.

G