Options

Asexuality

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I thought you were a lesbian, or is that someone else?

You're thinking of that Claire Balding.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    it's stupid that people think they know you better then you do
    it's also patronising that they assume you just need to meet someone for it to be OK
  • Options
    jimmyworzeljimmyworzel Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they say MJ was asexual
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chewy Duck wrote: »
    Have you had your hormone levels checked?

I haven't, but I've never felt any sort of sexual attraction, and asexuality is a normal orientation. If I had once felt sexual attraction and it suddenly ceased, I'd start to worry.
    jules1000 wrote: »
    I see and understand...:) Interesting I have learned something new today.:cool:

Does that mean you have to meet other Biromantics like yourself for the relationship to work?

It depends whether the other person was willing to not have sex, haha. :)
  • Options
    snickerdoodlesnickerdoodle Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ignore the haters! :p
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ignore the haters! :p

....or have sex with them!:D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It all sounds very complicated. Sexuality should be a private matter untill an individual decides otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can one be bi sexual if you don't want to partake in sex?

How do you know you are bisexual if you don't have sex to confirm this?

I can understand the idea of being Asexual in that you don't have the desire for sex with another human being

I think he/she means they wouldn't mind cuddling up to either the same/opposing sex but isn't interested in intercourse :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foonk wrote: »
    ....or have sex with them!:D

:D

• Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm asexual too, but I haven't really told anyone because I've only recently come to terms with it. I can't believe people would say such things!! It's so ignorant, and I've got the rest of my life to look forward to those comments I guess >.>
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't everyone have varying sex drives? Some people have high sex drives and some people have low sex drives. On one end of the scale, you get nymphomaniacs, who can't seem to get enough. I assume asexuality is just the other end of the scale, where the sex drive is so low its practically non-existant.

Technnically, I suppose it would be classed as a disorder, as a sex drive is a necessity for the survival of the species. But then any number of mental or physical disorders are - by definition! - disorders, but we don't look down on such people because of it. I have Bipolar disorder, but prefer to think of it as an extreme personality state. Yes, it is outside of the norm - but who wants to be part of the mean average, anyway? ;)

Not having a rampant sex drive is probably a good thing, anyway. If it's not hurting anyone else, I don't really see what the problem is, so long as you are happy with yourself. It's not really anyone else's business to tell you how to live your life.
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Sadly there are always going to be people whose whole existence is defined by chasing, getting and having sex and then they judge everyone else according to their own views.

If you are not with the opposite sex 24/7 then you are gay.
    If you are just not interested in sex at any given time, it's just because you can't get any.
    If you do something nice for someone or buy them a drink then you must be after them as they would never buy anyone a drink unless they were trying to get off with them.

I've heard them all!
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. What do people think? Do people think there should be more education about it?

There probably should be more education on sexuality and attraction in general, and less freaking out over what the next generation is up to.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There probably should be more education on sexuality and attraction in general, and less freaking out over what the next generation is up to.

Fine once they have learnt the 3 Rs
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see and understand...:) Interesting I have learned something new today.:cool:

Does that mean you have to meet other Biromantics like yourself for the relationship to work?

Agree and thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

I'm somewhere in all the terms that have been mentioned so far but will need to read up this weekend as, of all the terms mentioned in this thread, I've only heard of asexual.

BTW. I seem to remember that Cliff Richard has had a long term relationship with a business partner which is well known but never been "splashed" on the Sun.

Leave the man alone!

He seems to be a good guy so why go into an area that he prefers to keep private?
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I was really just wondering what people's opinions on this were. I was having a debate the other day with a friend, and she said something along the lines of 'there's no such thing as asexuals, they're just scared'. As an asexual, I did rather take umbrage with that.

For the uninformed, asexuality does not mean being unattracted to either gender; it means a general lack of physical attraction. Some asexuals form romantic (but not sexual) attractions to people - you can be heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic etc - and some never form romantic attractions, being aromantic.

There are lots of grey areas too, for example, demisexuality, whereby you only form sexual attractions after a lengthy emotional connection with a person.

As an asexual, I personally am a bit fed up of the discrimination I suffer from other people. It's a pain in the bum being told that you're just 'waiting to meet the right person'. To me, it's the same as telling a gay person that they're waiting for the right person to make them straight.

I don't know. What do people think? Do people think there should be more education about it?

I must be demisexual as I do feel physical attraction but I have no interest in acting on it without a deep emotional connection. My friends just think I am weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Life would so less complicated if you never had feelings towards another

Not feeling sexual attraction doesn't stop it from being an issue, trust me.:p
    Chewy Duck wrote: »
    Have you had your hormone levels checked?

People are always saying things like this, but... no.

You know the feeling of just feeling different somehow as kids that gay people sometimes talk about? I can relate. The other girls talked about boys and had crushes. I didn't care and found it boring. Once or twice I actually tried to make myself fancy a celebrity because I thought I ought to have crushes, but it never really felt real.

I first applied the term 'asexual' to myself when I was about thirteen. I was told I was too young to be sure, grudgingly agreed, and let the matter drop for a while, in which I assumed myself to be straight.

Five years later, and it turns out my initial assumption was right.

Definitely. Human sexuality is an incredibly complex thing, and all too often it doesn't fit into the categories that get presented. However, at the moment gay, lesbian and bisexual students aren't catered for, never mind anyone with a more obscure or complex orientation. It's not on.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=SheepSheepBa;I don't know. What do people think? Do people think there should be more education about it?[/QUOTE]

Would be the most bioring lessons in the world.

If you are driven to take umbrage by people's reaction to you, why do you go about telling them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Would be the most bioring lessons in the world.

If you are driven to take umbrage by people's reaction to you, why do you go about telling them?

Haha, I don't mean actual lessons in school. I just mean raising awareness somehow; you hardly ever see asexual characters on TV or in films and it's just not really mentioned, so it's not very well known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be demisexual as I do feel physical attraction but I have no interest in acting on it without a deep emotional connection. My friends just think I am weird.

Definitely not weird! :)
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought a biromantic was someone who could tell the future using ballpoint pens.....
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought a biromantic was someone who could tell the future using ballpoint pens.....

It is. Your future's red btw.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I don't mean actual lessons in school. I just mean raising awareness somehow; you hardly ever see asexual characters on TV or in films and it's just not really mentioned, so it's not very well known.

The last thing the world needs is an influx of people jumping on a bandwagon and rushing to identify themselves as "biromantic" "demisexual" or whatever the rest of these labels are. Your sex drive can vary dramatically, as can the gender of who you are attracted to throughout your life (although that is less common). By labelling yourself you are causing yourself more confusion than is necessary, and you could find you have ten different names for your own sexuality throughout your lifetime. Sexuality is fluid and fluxuating.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Asexuality isn't about sex drive! Some Asexuals have high sex drives, they just don't want to act on them as they don't feel attraction like sexual people do.
    I agree that kids at school should be told about Asexuality when they are told about other sexualities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    The last thing the world needs is an influx of people jumping on a bandwagon and rushing to identify themselves as "biromantic" "demisexual" or whatever the rest of these labels are. Your sex drive can vary dramatically, as can the gender of who you are attracted to throughout your life (although that is less common). By labelling yourself you are causing yourself more confusion than is necessary, and you could find you have ten different names for your own sexuality throughout your lifetime. Sexuality is fluid and fluxuating.

It shouldn't be about labelling; it should just be about the reassurance that what you're feeling is OK and perfectly natural.