Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back with new shows this week:

Mo 1/28: Melissa McCarthy, David Morrissey, David Byrne & St. Vincent
    Tu 1/29: Sylvester Stallone, Al Gore
    We 1/30: Jason Bateman, Alison Brie, Shovels & Rope
    Th 1/31: Al Pacino, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Fr 2/1: Kevin Spacey, Emeli Sande

Some big name guests there - does Al Pacino usually do interviews? Sly and Kevin Spacey will be interesting. After over-taking every TV show on UK TV last year Emeli Sande is moving over to the US to do the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    When do you think a UK TV channel shall start airing Letterman, Leno, Ferguson and Kimmel? Fallon is on over here on Sky Channel 505 but it's not the full show! It's 30minutes of the full hour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Does he still go to an ad break and then when it comes back on he says goodnight and it ends.
    Ive always found that a bit odd
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got a way to watch CBS and in good quality now.
    only thing is its a live feed and I am all ways in bed by the time he comes on.
    But if any one is up late morning you may like USTV now.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PWSJohn wrote: »
    When do you think a UK TV channel shall start airing Letterman, Leno, Ferguson and Kimmel?
    Fallon is on over here on Sky Channel 505 but it's not the full show! It's 30mins of the full hour.
    Yet only about a quarter of an hours worth of the program is actuallly edited out for that particular timeslot.
    rhumble wrote: »
    Does he still go to an ad break and then when it comes back on he
    says goodnight and it ends. Ive always found that a bit odd
    It's usually if the network has no ad break between the end of one program, and the start of the next. It's a regular
    thing with all of them. As I recall, there isn't usually any adbreak between the end of an edition of The Late Show
    with David Letterman and the start of The Late Late Show Craig Ferguson immediately after on CBS.
    I have got a way to watch CBS and in good quality now. only thing is its a live feed
    and I am all ways in bed by the time he comes on. But if any one is up late
    morning you may like USTV now.
    Care to divulge this method of watching CBS? Is it over the internet, or a random live feed via an obscure satellite?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a web site its free to Sign Up you get the main channel for free to stream to.
    Or you can pay extra for DVR and more channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a web site its free to Sign Up you get the main channel for free to stream to.
    Or you can pay extra for DVR and more channels.
    Sounds like something the CBS lawyers are likely to shut down before too long, especially if it's showing the full channel.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PWSJohn wrote: »
    When do you think a UK TV channel shall start airing Letterman, Leno, Ferguson and Kimmel? Fallon is on over here on Sky Channel 505 but it's not the full show! It's 30minutes of the full hour.

Although you have to wait until the weekend, CNBC show the full episodes of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Saturdays and Sundays at 8pm and 8:45pm.
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching episode 2 of Louie this week (from FOX, formerly FX) and Eddie Brill had a nice guest appearance in it.

Late Show fans should notice the name - he's the Late Show warmup guy (and producer I think).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last weeks episode of 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' hickaed by Matt Damon was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the show that finally ends 'The Daily Show's' decade long Emmy winning streak.
    So with Kimmel potentially stealing the younger audience at 11:30pm what are CBS and NBC going to do?
    Love them or hate them, Letterman and Leno are in the final years now (or in the case of Leno, reincarnated), so how are they going to compete in the younger audience?
    As I’ve said before in this thread, NBC had it all planned out nicely with Conan at 11:30pm and Fallon at 12:30am, but they screwed that up. So what now….. will Fallon be fast tracked to Tonight Show host? I think some signs are suggesting that that plan is already in motion. And what about CBS? Ferguson has a more ‘cult’ rather than ‘young’ audience in my opinion, so what are their options…. recruit Conan from TBS, or Jon Stewart from Comedy Central? Or something completely different?

Yeah, CBS really are in the worst position. NBC have their natural successor (although, as we all know, they had Conan too :rolleyes: ) but CBS don't have any other cards to play. Craig does a nice little show but it isn't going to hold up against the 2 Jimmy's. 10 yrs ago everyone had Jon Stewart down as Letterman's eventual successor but I don't think anyone really wants that anymore. Most people agree he's much better off where he because it's the political satire driven format that makes him amazing and his interviews are often the worst part of 'The Daily Show'. As for Conan - although ratings are low he seems settled on cable. I can't think of any other established talkshow host who would fit the bill.
    Forum Member
    Would Kimmel ever move to CBS from ABC? I'm sure the audience would be bigger if he were on CBS.. Although, It looks like CBS are giving Ferguson more exposure since he's the only talk show host to do a Superbowl Special this Sunday Night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone out there? :D

Leno has confirmed he's retiring (again) and Fallon is taking The Tonight Show, and moving it to NYC.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/03/official-jimmy-fallon-to-replace-jay-leno/

Conan's TBS show has been renewed as well:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/01/conan-obrien-renewed/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone out there? :D

Leno has confirmed he's retiring (again) and Fallon is taking The Tonight Show, and moving it to NYC.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/03/official-jimmy-fallon-to-replace-jay-leno/

Conan's TBS show has been renewed as well:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/01/conan-obrien-renewed/

I’m still here! And following this story very closely.

Its been clear to me for a while that NBC were fast-tracking Jimmy Fallon’s profile so that he could take over The Tonight Show when the time was right. What with ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel now attracting a lucrative young audience at 11:30pm, NBC have decided the time for the change is now.
    Assuming Jay Leno does actually leave quietly this time, I think Jimmy Fallon could make a very successful Tonight Show host for the ’next generation’. And moving the show to New York will help it obtain that ‘edgy’ appeal I think.

The biggest question to me around this whole situation is – what will CBS do? Letterman’s contract also ends next year, are they really going to re-new it and not chase the young lucrative audience in the same way ABC and NBC are? Its now or never as trying to achieve a young audience several years after ABC and NBC have achieved it will be much more difficult to do. But if they do replace Letterman who will they go with, they have no obvious choices as far as I can see. Craig Ferguson is probably too old and too niche, Jon Stewart is also probably too old, Conan O’Brien still has a young audience over on TBS but he’s just signed a new contract through 2015 so is no longer available to them.

We’re also discussing this in the US TV forum:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1804469
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hello all, I used to post on here a while back, then lost my DS login details, anyway thought I'd re-register to post this video of Dave from last night talking about the whole Leno/Fallon thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAup2oo6og

NoEntry2k wrote: »

Assuming Jay Leno does actually leave quietly this time, I think Jimmy Fallon could make a very successful Tonight Show host for the ’next generation’. And moving the show to New York will help it obtain that ‘edgy’ appeal I think.

I think moving it to NY means that Jay's gone for good this time. I really like Fallon and agree that he could make the Tonight Show a big success. In fact, I'm wondering if NBC have brought this forward as maybe they were worried about CBS poaching him when Dave eventually retires.
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    The biggest question to me around this whole situation is – what will CBS do? Letterman’s contract also ends next year, are they really going to re-new it and not chase the young lucrative audience in the same way ABC and NBC are? Its now or never as trying to achieve a young audience several years after ABC and NBC have achieved it will be much more difficult to do. But if they do replace Letterman who will they go with, they have no obvious choices as far as I can see. Craig Ferguson is probably too old and too niche, Jon Stewart is also probably too old, Conan O’Brien still has a young audience over on TBS but he’s just signed a new contract through 2015 so is no longer available to them.

Oh I don't want to think of a TV world without Dave, but I suppose we have to face up to it sooner rather than later. I guess. I'd say Jimmy Kimmel would be the favourite to take over the Late Show eventually, he worships Letterman, and Dave seems to like him too (he gave a rare interview to Kimmel when he did his show from Brooklyn a few months back).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, and hope, that Leno does actually leave this time. Moving the New York would definitely make a return for him more difficult, but remember when Conan took over, although The Tonight Show remained in LA, a new $15 million studio was built and a whole new staff were employed – and Leno still made a come back complete with his old studio and old staff!

I don’t want my prediction of David Letterman retiring soon to be taken the wrong way, in my mind he is an absolute Late Night legend. His Late Night show in the 80’s reinvented the talk show. You’re guess that Kimmel could eventually be tempted away from ABC to replace Letterman could turn out the be right, but I’m sure Kimmel is still under contract to ABC for a while yet and I bet they’d put up a good fight for him if it came to it. But from CBS’s point of view it would be a lot less risky than a lot of other options, but would come at a considerably higher cost I suspect.
    Forum Member
    No, I think you're right, I think he may well retire when his contract comes to an end in 2014. He'll have completed over 20 years at CBS and over 30 years in Late Night, which means he'll have beaten Carson and now of course, he's outlasted Jay.

I hope not, but it'd be a good excuse to go to New York again for a taping. I've been once and would love to go again.

Looking forward to catching up with the Louis CK interview that was on last night in the US. Louis' 3rd season had a (fictional) scenario where he was up to present the Late Show as Dave's replacement, so should be interesting viewing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi John. You sound familiar... :)

To be honest I think Jimmy Kimmel is now the frontrunner for taking over from Dave next year if it happens.

Seth Meyers is rumoured to be the favourite to replace Fallon on Late Night.

If Kimmel does take over the Late Show I wouldn't expect Ferguson to stay at CBS for long - perhaps move to ABC's 11.35pm slot if Kimmel leaves for CBS?

I can't remember how long Kimmel's ABC contract is for. I assume it got renewed when he moved timeslots?
    Forum Member
    I doubt Letterman will retire next year, probably only because he doesn't want to retire at the same time as Jay.. Currently, he's the longest running host with 31 years (Conan has been in late night for 20, I think.. Jay's got 21 as well) so I doubt that he'll retire at the same time as Leno, just so he can prove that his career was more successful because he started before and retired after Leno.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csXvqJB6kpM&feature=youtu.be

Leno still has to get a little dig in at Letterman about not getting The Tonight Show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csXvqJB6kpM&feature=youtu.be

Leno still has to get a little dig in at Letterman about not getting The Tonight Show.
    Well, fair's fair I suppose, since Dave often does get plenty of digs in at Leno . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest I think Jimmy Kimmel is now the frontrunner for taking over from Dave next year if it happens.

Seth Meyers is rumoured to be the favourite to replace Fallon on Late Night.

If Kimmel does take over the Late Show I wouldn't expect Ferguson to stay at CBS for long - perhaps move to ABC's 11.35pm slot if Kimmel leaves for CBS?

I can't remember how long Kimmel's ABC contract is for. I assume it got renewed when he moved timeslots?

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Kimmel’s contract coincides with Letterman’s.
    But that might be an advantage… Letterman might want to stay around for a few more years, by which time Kimmel could be available.
    Conan would also be available if Letterman stayed around until 2015.
    To be honest I’m surprised Conan recently extended his TBS contract until 2015, but maybe that’s just me wishfully thinking he could return to 11:30pm on network television one day.
    Forum Member

Haha hi Paul, thought it was about time I made a DS return :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Letterman's contract expires 2014 at the moment.

Several sites say Kimmel's contract was extended for "two years" in articles from late 2012.

So this suggests Kimmel would stay with ABC until at least 2014, and would coincide with Letterman finishing up at CBS if Dave doesn't renew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching the Louie CK show from this week - funny interview and quite amusing seeing them bring up the clip from Louie's FX show where he pays a little visit to the outside of the Late Show theatre screaming "Letterman - f**k you". He says he meant Jimmy Letterman afterwards - a reference to Jimmy Fallon/Kimmel. :D

Some interesting bits about The Tonight Show in there too - Dave brought out his Leno impression again and wonders how long before Leno returns to The Tonight Show after he's left. :D

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned, but for a few months they have changed the opening titles to the Late Show somewhat:

Instead of "From New York - the greatest city in the world" it now opens with "From the heart of Broadway, broadcasting across the nation and around the world!" and Alan Kalter introduces himself just before the end of the titles after introducing the CBS Orchestra on the steps.

These days they seem to give a lot more of the show over to interviews, or at least that was the case on the one I just watched.
    Forum Member
    ^ The Monologues recently, from what I've seen. have been getting longer and the middle segment (Top 10 normally) isn't as long as it was.

The change at the start of the show from "The greatest city in the world" is strange.