The Widower...Thanks for the Spoiler

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the first bit. At end of last prog he was setting the house on fire. I caught it tonight where the 2nd wife was telling her Dad something about cotton wool. Anybody explain please?
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Missed the first bit. At end of last prog he was setting the house on fire. I caught it tonight where the 2nd wife was telling her Dad something about cotton wool. Anybody explain please?

They were living with second wife's family whilst their house purchase was going through. He had transferred all her money to his account, then drugged her (again) and set the chair on fire. He was in the process of taking the baby, when his wife and father in law smelled smoke and put the fire out. The wife thought she had left a cotton wool ball with nail varnish remover on the chair and a spark from the fire had ignited it.
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone asked earlier in this thread was it being portrayed as true to life, it really pretty much is, obviously some scenes are for dramatic purposes but it is following the real life case quite accurately.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently only this month has he dropped his appeal against conviction!
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is more un nerving is that this mad man is probably watching this in prison as we speak ....and feeling pretty good about himself because he has manipulated women and the system for so long. Let's hope the authorities who have him under lock and key ...DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO SEE THIS DRAMA.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Clatty beggar Sheridan and Archie, both rather fit IMO.

I don't know anything about this case and am avoiding finding out until I've finished watching all of this, then I can find out what's real and what's artistic license.
    He's a shonky beggar, some people do have that 'skill' though of worming their way in and twisting minds.
    How's he planning to exploit Archie's character though, he can't get married, hang on was he married to the 2nd wife in NZ or the UK, I can't remember now.
    Common law wife/husband thing, as I understand it doesn't exist in law anymore, does it?
    This Blokey is out and about, apparently.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    What is more un nerving is that this mad man is probably watching this in prison as we speak ....and feeling pretty good about himself because he has manipulated women and the system for so long. Let's hope the authorities who have him under lock and key ...DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO SEE THIS DRAMA.

Why are you shouting?
    Wouldn't it be more important that the blokes banged up, rather than how much joy or not he'd be getting out of watching this?
    I think your priorities are a bit screwy there.
    I think it's on too late for prison TV, I think they turn them off quite early.
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only vaguely recall hearing about Malcolm Webster's crimes on the news, so I've had to go on what Reece Shearsmith has said about the case in interviews when discussing the role, and from what I gather, Webster is a psychopath and still doesn't think he has done anything wrong, which is really chilling :(

I thought this second episode was better paced than the first, and it does sometimes bear the hallmarks of slightly lightweight ITV drama (despite the horrific subject matter).. .. but to be fair I've really enjoyed all of it. The acting has been great, and Reece is superb. I'm a long time fan of his work and have always rated him as an actor - and not "just" a comedy actor - and am really pleased he seems to be getting a lot of mainstream praise and recognition for his performance here.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really does make you loathe and despise the slimy turd, so I suppose that counts as good acting.
  • EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That's Reece Shearsmith - one of the brilliant League of Gentleman and recently a writer and star of "Inside Number 9". This is the first non-comedic role I've seen him play. I was worried I'd keep seeing Judee Levinson! Of course, his comedy roles have all been rather dark so I know he can pull off "creepy" fantastically well.

Not forgetting the scary Geoff Tipps and his hilarious jokes and the wonderful Stella.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Apparently only this month has he dropped his appeal against conviction!

No, he dropped his appeal against the sentence. His rationale is that it might imply that he accepts guilt, but not the severity of the punishment. He still maintains he is completely innocent.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were living with second wife's family whilst their house purchase was going through. He had transferred all her money to his account, then drugged her (again) and set the chair on fire. He was in the process of taking the baby, when his wife and father in law smelled smoke and put the fire out. The wife thought she had left a cotton wool ball with nail varnish remover on the chair and a spark from the fire had ignited it.

Thanks so much:). Looking forward to next week now.

I was wondering how he got back to the uk from New Zealand because he just grabbed his jacket from the car and ran. What about money and passport? It is amazing that he then walked straight back into a job in the NHS.
  • EvannahEvannah Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme is so brilliant. Very very creepy. The depths he goes too OMG. Can't wait till they catch him!!! Bring on next week!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I have already got the book about this from my library. I didn't want it yet tho :( I will try to hold off reading until next week.

Such chilling acting from RS. He is outstanding and will look into the films some of the posters have mentioned.

Looking forward to next weeks episode.
  • EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Thanks so much:). Looking forward to next week now.

I was wondering how he got back to the uk from New Zealand because he just grabbed his jacket from the car and ran. What about money and passport? It is amazing that he then walked straight back into a job in the NHS.

He just ran off to think for a while, he then went back to try and talk her round.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I'd settle in to this yesterday not realising I'd already missed an episode.>:( Hope it's repeated soon as I can't even catch it on itvplayer as laptop isn't working properly...
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    I too caught this without watching the first episode. Great acting by Reece Shearsmith, it was quite chilling when he was staring at himself in the mirror after shaving his head, particularly the little smirk before cutting away. The 'Next Time' clip seems to indicate the John Hannah character has his work cut out to get him, can't wait. I do find it amazing someone can pitch up in the NHS after what went on in New Zealand.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Hannah's character said something about how it was amazing that Malcolm could just walk into a job in the NHS. Then again he also said while Malcolm had no convictions for anything, he had form for lying on his cv and there had been accusations against him for inventing references and had been a known firebug as a youngster.
    You can be accused of all sorts and if you're found innocent or no case was ever brought, then there are no convictions against you to be found in checks that employers can do.
    Suppose that stuff Hannah's character came up with was as a reult of investigations by the first police force when the Claire, the first wife died. I doubt it would be available to the NHS, seeing as without any actual convictions, what is it apart from gossip?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that everyone looks different when they've had their head shaved, but was anyone like me shocked at how different Reece Shearsmith looks with a shaved head?
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting til next week to watch all three together
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that everyone looks different when they've had their head shaved, but was anyone like me shocked at how different Reece Shearsmith looks with a shaved head?

I thought he looked much better :D

Nice to see John Hannah in this. Also Trevor from EE - but his accent is so strong I can hardly make out what he is saying!!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But his new conquest didn't have any trouble recognising him!

And an iPhone piece of kit in 2004???? :confused:
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And an iPhone piece of kit in 2004???? :confused:

It was an iPod
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    How many more episodes of this are there? I have to say I am enjoying this drama.

This is a true story. Not sure if you knew :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I find this Malcom Webster creepy.

Intrigued to watch Monday's finale however.