Four weddings US/Canada

ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone watch? They're much better than the British version. Classier weddings and girls.
US is on TLC on Wednesdays at 8 and Canada is on TLC on Thursdays at 7.

Comments

• lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch the US versions and agree that the brides are of a better quality than the UK ones. They tend to be better groomed and have better manners.

I have to say that for me the US weddings all seem a bit samey, generic almost (a theme, cocktail hour, entrance of the bride and groom with bride waving bouquet in air, bride and groom dance, bit of food then more dancing). However the brides have a wider range of opinions than the UK ones. The US brides seem to give thought to what they are saying rather than limited to "no wow factor" "the food was disgusting" etc, and there seems less blatant game playing on the US version too.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    It helps that the US/ Canadian versions stopped the game playing with the introduction of the only score the contestants give is their overall experience.....

Having to rank the others as simply 1,2 and 3 in the other categories is a much fairer way of doing the scoring.

Wish some of the other shows would follow suit eg four in a bed.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those ridiculous self penned vows are hilarious or cringy in equal measure, especially when they become too choked up to speak.
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have finally seen the Canada Four Weddings on TLC and I enjoyed it. The protocol of the weddings is very similar to the US formats, but the weddings seem less samey though with more personality in them within the structure. The brides were more critical than the US ones, but thankfully not as bad mannered as the UK ones and the opinions went beyond "that was disgusting" etc etc. I enjoyed it as it seemed a happy medium between the UK and US styles.
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch this to laugh at the arrogant mis-pronounciation of food as they criticise each other's choices.

One of my favourites is ris-oh-toh.......and this was from a third generation Italian immigrant!
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    I watch this to laugh at the arrogant mis-pronounciation of food as they criticise each other's choices.

One of my favourites is ris-oh-toh.......and this was from a third generation Italian immigrant!

Oh god, I cringed when I first heard this one!!!

But my personal favourite is .... '... most/more unique wedding ...' etc.

No. It's not 'more' or 'most' unique! It's either 'unique' or it isn't! You don't need a description in front of it!!!!!

I have to say though, that I like the US version scoring as it's much fairer and less open to abuse (some of the UK contestants blatently underscore in order to tive themselves a better chance and it's infuriating). I like the Canadian one as well, because in the first season of that one, the narrator was a little bit like our British narrator and really laid into them (our British narrator also did the first season of the US version and he was ... well 'scathing' doesn't really cover it, but his remarks about the OTTness and the fact that they complain about the food at the cocktail hour when they walk into the reception and eat vast amounts about ten minutes later made me howl with laughter!

They replaced him after first season with an anodyne US narrator who is seemingly incapable of criticising anything and even makes out that the loser scored loads of points when they didn't!

I do remember one episode when one of the brides was so horribly bitter that she came out and complained that she didn't see how the wedding that won was any better than hers and she couldn't understand how it HAD won. I'm not sure if that was also the one where the winning bride was totally unprepared for it and wanted to take all the girls with her - and said that the others deserved it above hers! And that's probably why she won. Nice person!

On the subject of 'Four Weddings', does anyone remember the UK one with the nudist wedding and the incredibly obnoxious blonde bride who yelled and screamed at the nudist bride at her wedding reception because she hadn't got up to dance in 5minutes? It made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and i was very glad she didn't win.