Next Christmas jobs offered to Polish workers before being advertised in UK

123457»

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    The threat of freedom of movement in the EU was always going to fall on low paid workers. That is why Labour traditionally was more eurosceptic than the Tories. It is why people like Bob Crow campaigned against membership.

Then Labour have spent the last 30 years shouting down anyone who said anything against EU membership and calling them a racist or little Englander. It would make for an interesting referendum campaign if both Labour and Conservative leaderships are in favour of remaining members while some of the unions join with UKIP and the Conservative lunatic fringe in supporting withdrawal.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    What this thread is proving that anti-EU and anti-immigrant sentiment isn't just coming from disgruntled Tories on the political right wing. Most of the complaints about low paid immigrants is now coming from traditional Labour voters. It are these people that Miliband and the rest of the Labour leadership are failing to represent so it's not surprising that the so-called "working class" (even though I hate the phrase) are flocking to UKIP.
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Ah the benefits of being in the EU. Still the unemployed in Doncaster are free to move to Poland and work for £1.10 an hour.

I keep telling people on DS we should opt out of the EU, because their legislation has allowed the UK to be screwed over, as examples like this prove. 'Oh no, you can't do that' the DS 'liberals' keep telling me.

You reap what you sow. Oh yeah, UK farmers have been screwed over as well.
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Apart from moaning, what exactly are we going to do about it ?

Leave the EU and nullify all legislation, which allows this to happen.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Then Labour have spent the last 30 years shouting down anyone who said anything against EU membership and calling them a racist or little Englander. It would make for an interesting referendum campaign if both Labour and Conservative leaderships are in favour of remaining members while some of the unions join with UKIP and the Conservative lunatic fringe in supporting withdrawal.

The Labour Party doesn't really exist. It's still New Labour, although it has dropped New from its title to make us think otherwise. New Labour was the creation of people like Neil Kinnock, who entered Parliament as a strong Eurosceptic. That all changed when he was offered a job with the EU, of course. He and his family have trousered a small fortune thanks to the European Union. Kinnock will now tell you it would be a disaster to leave the EU. Disaster for who, Neil?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Presumably the British people don't want the jobs.

Next is probably looking for eager willing hard working people and know from experience that Polish workers fit the bill.

Sadly that's very true, the UK unemployed wont get out of bed for the wage offered
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Sadly that's very true, the UK unemployed wont get out of bed for the wage offered

that's a lie i would work for minimum wage as many other people would.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's certainly true that we have a problem with many people that would rather not work, but I do think that in the case of these jobs it's simply not affordable for some people to take those jobs at all.

The pay is low, the hours are going to be difficult and the cost of transport could be prohibitive. In the case of the local distribution warehouse, Arla has effectively organised for hundreds of staff to be housed locally, and are then able to save money by car sharing. And by sharing rooms, the cost of living is kept to an absolute minimum.

Someone here that didn't live almost on the doorstep might not even be able to afford the travel to/from work, especially if working shifts that would mean having to run a car or use a taxi because it's 4am and there's no public transport, or when there is pay a fortune for buses that aren't cheap/regulated outside of places like London and some other cities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in the area and worked in a neighbouring warehouse for a while as a teenager, it's been the same since 2004ish, not sure why this is only just news?

As far as I'm aware, apart from supervisory roles there are very few actual full time jobs in the Next warehouse, most of them are 4 hour shifts at odd times of day or weekends only, suited to students etc.

Immigrants also have a housing subsidy and have transport organised by the company, something that the locals don't get.

Since the mines closed in the area there is a captive audience of people who have done little else but factory work, so I don't believe for a second that they would be unable to fill the positions locally.

Although "locally" also includes a massive eastern European population too...I've not lived there for a while so couldn't say whether they are there because of the work or the preference to employ them is because they are there already ;P
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Under the new JSA rules don't they have to take any job or lose their JSA?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love sweeping statements ;-) i myself know many UK people who work for very low wages IE near minimum.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    Under the new JSA rules don't they have to take any job or lose their JSA?

Yes they do but they do not have to take zero hours contracts or maybe temporary work i believe in order to keep their JSA.