Help me out please! :-)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been holidaying over in the X Factor thread :-) and Simon Cowell has signed all 4 finalists....

Wasn't there something in the BBC/ALW shows that meant that the other finalists couldn't be cast as the alternate Nancy/Dorothy/Josephs after they got in trouble for giving Aoife the alternate Maria?

I can't remember and can't find any articles about it.

Thanks!

Comments

• thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    geogchick wrote: »
    I've been holidaying over in the X Factor thread :-) and Simon Cowell has signed all 4 finalists....

Wasn't there something in the BBC/ALW shows that meant that the other finalists couldn't be cast as the alternate Nancy/Dorothy/Josephs after they got in trouble for giving Aoife the alternate Maria?

I can't remember and can't find any articles about it.

Thanks!

Some people raised it here and elsewhere but not sure if it was an issue. There's internet suggestions about something in contracts but no one has shown the contracts I think.

The issue has obviously receeded as, by internet lore, Jessie was offered the Nancy understudy role, Sarah played it, almost everyone has played Joseph and Sophie is now the alternate Dorothy.

As the competition is to decide who will play the leading role as whoever I don't see its a problem. Someone will be playing the main lead and get paid accordingly so the public will get what they voted for.

The potentially big issue would be if the winner vanished rapidly and was replaced by someone else on the show - but thats not happened - either because its in the rules or no one has risked it.

Simon signing 4 acts is presumably fine because people are invited to vote for the winner of the x factor who will get a recording contract. Anyone else can just be given the recording contract even if it lasts longer.... the same thing happened on the ALW shows where people other than the winners got jobs for ALW or other judges.
  • David JamesDavid James Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Jessie was offered the understudy role but not the alternate, an Australian did that, obviously Jessie turned it down. Contractually, Jessie could not be the alternate for a number of months. This was also the case with Maria, there was supposed to be a delay before Aoife could be the alternate. ALW changed this for Dorothy such that Sophie could be the alternate, he made that point when in Cardiff telling the country about it.
    In the pop talent competitions, it seems the others can be signed but not at the expense of the winner who gets first shot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, I think the original rule about not casting a runner-up was a BBC thing, so it had no baring on what ITV shows (or shows on other channels) did (or continue to do).

Simon Cowell always has 'first refusal' when it comes to the X-factor contestants. No doubt, the others he's signed will have to wait until the winner has released his first album/single before their stuff can be released.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Jessie was offered the understudy role but not the alternate, an Australian did that, obviously Jessie turned it down. Contractually, Jessie could not be the alternate for a number of months. This was also the case with Maria, there was supposed to be a delay before Aoife could be the alternate. ALW changed this for Dorothy such that Sophie could be the alternate, he made that point when in Cardiff telling the country about it.
    In the pop talent competitions, it seems the others can be signed but not at the expense of the winner who gets first shot.

I imagine the problem is in the word. Alternative suggest equal to and different if you prefer it. Understudy has the word under in it. Aoife is only needed after Connie's voice packs up under the strain of 8 shows. With Nancy, they seem to have taken the precaution in advance - even though Nancy doesn't have much to do - and in the event they go for someone older than Jessie or Sam which makes continuity easier . With Dorothy the pool of people who were not on the show who can play the age and the character isn't that big ,and many of them are already leading elsewhere, so it makes even more sense to go with the runner up.