Options

Why do people get married 3, 4 5 times? Why not just live with your partner?

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Im interested in why people who've been through at least 2 marriages & divorces would want to marry again, given how hellish (I hear) the divorce process is?

Also- after 2 or 3 failed marriages wouldnt a person acknowledge that marriage is just something they're not good at, and just choose to live with any future partners rather than go through the rigmarole of marriage again?

I genuinely cant understand why the Liz Taylors of this word would marry 8 times.... surely by the 3rd marriage you'd think: well if this doesnt work out, Im clearly not cut out for this...

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    For the presents of course :)
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my partners mother is 4 times divorced.
    She doesn't believe in sex before marriage so thats one answer
    The other is that she is a needy cow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

Good point. The promise of a free house everytime a woman gets divorced is incentive enough to get married multiple times!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think if you are really committed to a person, and you are living like a married couple, you'd might as well get married. Actually, there was some study years ago that showed that couples who lived together without getting married didn't, on average, last any longer than married couples. I don't have a source for it. That's just what I learned in our psychology class.

I do think a lot of people hastily get married. I'm not promoting that. But if a couple is going to break up, they'll probably do so whether they are married or not.

Marriage is harder to get out of generally, but you also sometimes have benefits of marriage (like seeing relatives in the hospital) that you may not have if you are not married.

Bottom line, though, whether you are married or living together, you have to make sure the two of you are compatible. If not, it probably won't last.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Im interested in why people who've been through at least 2 marriages & divorces would want to marry again, given how hellish (I hear) the divorce process is?

Also- after 2 or 3 failed marriages wouldnt a person acknowledge that marriage is just something they're not good at, and just choose to live with any future partners rather than go through the rigmarole of marriage again?

I genuinely cant understand why the Liz Taylors of this word would marry 8 times.... surely by the 3rd marriage you'd think: well if this doesnt work out, Im clearly not cut out for this...

Some people want the commitment and the officialness. Living with your "partner" just sounds cheap.
  • Options
    SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably something to do with real love....
    If you never had it, you wouldn't understand it.

:);)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. I've got a friend who has just got divorced for the 3rd time at age 43 and is already getting engaged to his latest partner and talking about getting married next year. Each relationship has lasted less time than the previous one (10 yrs, 8 years, 4 years)

Me, I'm one of those supposed fear of commitment types who has remained unmarried but been with my partner for 22 years, double the amount of time the average marriage lasts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    They like the insides of the courtroom. I'm sure there's a name for a fetish for wigs.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess some people just like to be married?
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people really love wedding cake! :D
  • Options
    MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    Personally, I think if you are really committed to a person, and you are living like a married couple, you'd might as well get married.
    If you are really committed to a person, and are living like a married couple, aren't you already married in all the important ways that matter? Why bother with a wedding?
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sassernach wrote: »
    Probably something to do with real love....
    If you never had it, you wouldn't understand it.

:);)

Are you having a laugh? :confused:
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    If you are really committed to a person, and are living like a married couple, aren't you already married in all the important ways that matter? Why bother with a wedding?

It's all about money. You get tax advantages by getting married, plus you get inheritance tax advantages if your spouse dies, plus you will probably be entitled to your spouse's pension if he or she dies.

As that annoying song goes, what's love got to do with it?
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who invented marriage? and why?

seems to be about ownership to me

if yer committed yer committed imo
  • Options
    MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    who invented marriage? and why?

seems to be about ownership to me

if yer committed yer committed imo
    Bang on :)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i met my husband i wanted to be married to him. I wanted to share the same name as him as to be Mrs. X felt really special. I still feel like that now almost 19yrs down the line. I get a thrill when he introduces me as his wife.

I cant really explain this. We don't have children so its not like i wanted to have the same surname as him and the kids. I suppose i just wanted to be linked to him (and his whole family who i adore) by name.
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    A lady has full control over a man when married but not when living together.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    A lady has full control over a man when married but not when living together.

I wish!

If you get married and split up things are dealt with more fairly than if you live together.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    You get tax advantages by getting married

Are there any these days, other than inheritance tax?
    plus you will probably be entitled to your spouse's pension if he or she dies.

I think you can usually nominate anyone to be a beneficiary, all you're saving by being married is not having to fill in another form.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Some people love wedding receptions.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they are true optimists.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because when you get married you probably don't think that you're going to split up at some point in the future.
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    Because when you get married you probably don't think that you're going to split up at some point in the future.

Exactly.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    If they still think this after two or three marriages then they must be fairly er single minded.