Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, was anyone listening to Five Live last night? Thought somebody might make a note of it, especially given the strike was on. I didn't hear it, natch.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,534
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live
    Manchester United v Reading Darren Fletcher and Kevin Kilbane (commentary) with Alistair Yeomans
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT

Presented by Mark Saggers

Champions League - Last 16 First Leg
    Arsenal v Bayern Munich - Mike Bovill and Ray Houghton

Championship
    Barnsley v Wolves - Dave Rowe
    Birmingham v Sheffield Wednesday - Ian Danter
    Burnley v Middlesbrough - Simon Humphreys
    Cardiff v Brighton - Roger Hughes
    Crystal Palace v Bristol City - Ian Abrahams
    Hull v Blackburn - Graham Courtney
    Ipswich v Watford - Grahame Lloyd
    Leicester v Charlton - Geoff Peters
    Nottingham Forest v Huddersfield - Tony Incenzo
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT will also broadcast live commentary Lyon v Tottenham (18:00) in addition to Chelsea v Sparta Prague (20:00) in the Europa League on Thursday.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Mike Bovill?!
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Who is Mike Bovill?!

He's a long-serving talkSPORT football reporter who is based in the London area and has been with the station for over 10 years. He also presented their rugby union programme Full Contact for the first few years of its run and was one of their hosts at the 2011 Rugby World Cup. I'm surprised he's escaped your attention given that he frequently reports on talkSPORT's football coverage, albeit slightly less often at weekends this season, and will often cover Arsenal and Tottenham home games. He and Ray Houghton are just doing updates on the game tonight rather than commentary.

talkSPORT Live carried talkSPORT UK's commentary on Manchester United v Reading in the FA Cup Fifth Round last night, with Tom Rennie hosting their coverage.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 19th February

BBC WM

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Barnsley v Wolves(Live commentary on FM and DAB)
    Tom Marlow: Blues v Sheff Wednesday(updates)
    Presenter: Mark Regan

Dan Freeman off sky sports was doing sport updates in the day

Free Radio 80s

Championship
    Tom Ross and Andy Thompson: Barnsley v Wolves(Live commentary in the Black Country
    Chris Coles and Kevin Broadhurst: Blues v Sheff Wednesday(Live commentary in Birmingham)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 19th February - Talk Radio Europe and Global Radio Networks (Costa Del Sol)

Dom Aldworth presenting from the studio

UEFA Champions League Round of 16 First Leg
    FC Porto v Malaga - Paul Breen-Turner and Chris Williams (7.45pm commentary)

PBT will be back on talkSPORT during Extra Time to review this match.

Over on BBC WM, Mel Eves - who has worked as Free Radio 80s' Wolves co-commentator on a number of occasions this season - co-hosted tonight's Football Phone-In with Paul Franks.
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Presented by John Sinclair from the King Power Stadium

Championship
    Leicester City v Charlton - Ian Stringer and Alan Young (commentary)

Kevin Hand and James Scowcroft are the BBC London 94.9 commentary team.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was commentating, I wouldn't recognise any TS reporters if I'm honest
  • Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday 19th February

BBC WM

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Barnsley v Wolves(Live commentary on FM and DAB)
    Tom Marlow: Blues v Sheff Wednesday(updates)
    Presenter: Mark Regan

Dan Freeman off sky sports was doing sport updates in the day

Free Radio 80s

Championship
    Tom Ross and Andy Thompson: Barnsley v Wolves(Live commentary in the Black Country
    Chris Coles and Kevin Broadhurst: Blues v Sheff Wednesday(Live commentary in Birmingham)

To note, Salty made a hero's dash across Birmingham with an emergency ISDN kit and set up just in time for the Blues comms. Top effort.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC Radio Five Live
    Manchester United v Reading Darren Fletcher and Kevin Kilbane (commentary) with Alistair Yeomans

Thanks. So not really affected at all, then. Normally strikes at the Beeb in recent years have been on days without major football matches, apart from that Saturday in November 2010. Seemingly the football team aren't massively stretched, of course Ian Payne is a regular voice on strike days, but on one strike day they had to simulcast Australian coverage of a rugby match, didn't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 19 February

BBC Radio Cumbria Sport Presented by James Phillips (studio)

Barrow v Woking Andy Wood and John Goodwin (commentary)
    Workington Reds v Chester John Walsh
    AFC Fylde v Kendal Town Garry Woodworth
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 19.2.13

With Mark Pougatch at The Emirates

Arsenal v Bayern Munich - Mike Ingham, Danny Mills + Alan Green

Cardiff v Brighton - Steve May (Ian Brown + Steve Claridge on SE)
    Crystal Palace v Bristol City - Jonathan Legard
    Hull v Blackburn - Alistair Yeomans
    Ipswich v Watford - Russell Fuller

St Johnstone v Celtic - Roddy Forsyth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I thought he was commentating, I wouldn't recognise any TS reporters if I'm honest

Fair enough, I thought you may have assumed that. I take it you only read the posts about Radio 5 Live on here then? I can't remember the last time when I tuned in to 5 Live Sport on a Saturday but thanks to threads like this, I'm aware of who reporters like Chris Dennis are, never mind mainstays like Peter Slater and Pat Murphy.
    To note, Salty made a hero's dash across Birmingham with an emergency ISDN kit and set up just in time for the Blues comms. Top effort.

Thanks for that and to Connor for posting both the WM and Free Radio 80s details. He just beat me to posting WM but The Goalzone's details are difficult to find out when you are outside of the Midlands unless they are tweeted by someone involved in their coverage. Just to confirm that it is Mark Regan and Tom Ross presenting tonight's coverage on their respective stations.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Simon Davies (studio host)

(Club removed as they are now dead to me) V Brighton and Hove Albion - John Hardy and Jason Perry (SE FM / SW FM)
    Gateshead V Wrexham - Mark Poyser and Andy Legg (North FM / Online)

**slow handclaps those who turned up at CCS tonight and will happily wear the Red scarves on offer and have just rolled over simply at the chance to get a season ticket for next season**

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Tim McSweeney (studio host)

Crystal Palace V Bristol City - Richard Hoskin and Adam Baker (94.9FM / 95.5FM / 104.6FM)
    Bristol Rovers V Rotherham - Andy Howard and Keith Brookman (DAB)
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 19/2/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from McDiarmid Park on 810MW

St Johnstone v Celtic - Liam McLeod, Murdo MacLeod and Billy Dodds (commentary) with Jim Spence pitchside
    Motherwell v Dundee Utd - Chick Young
    Falkirk v Livingston - Allan Preston
    Partick Thistle v Hamilton - Paul Barnes
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official Huddersfield Town website
    host: Nick Hatton
    Nottingham Forest versus Huddersfield Town
    commentator: Paul Ogden
    summariser: Kieran O'Regan

BBC Radio Sheffield
    host: Rob Staton
    Bristol Rovers versus Rotherham United (AM and DAB)
    commentator: Murray Burnell

(FM)
    Birmingham City versus Sheffield Wednesday
    commentator: Rob Staton
    summariser: Darren Purse
    Barnsley versus Wolverhampton Wanderers
    reporter: Adam Oxley

BBC Radio Humberside
    studio: Tim Steer
    host: Matt Dean at Ewood Park
    Blackburn Rovers versus Hull City
    commentator: David Burns*
    summariser: Peter Swan
    Braintree Town versus Grimsby Town
    commentator: John Tondeur

*David Burns discussed plans by West Yorkshire Police that affect Hull City fans traveling to their match against Huddersfield Town next month during his morning show. I don't think a presenter who didn't have a background in sport would do that.
  • GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Derby County v Bolton Wanderers - Jack Dearden and Phil Brown - commentary
    Stevenage v Oldham Athletic - Graham Miller - reports
  • clubfoot fcclubfoot fc Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    BBC Radio Humberside
    studio: Tim Steer
    host: Matt Dean at Ewood Park
    Blackburn Rovers versus Hull City
    commentator: David Burns*
    summariser: Peter Swan
    Braintree Town versus Grimsby Town
    commentator: John Tondeur

*David Burns discussed plans by West Yorkshire Police that affect Hull City fans traveling to their match against Huddersfield Town next month during his morning show. I don't think a presenter who didn't have a background in sport would do that.

Hull City v Blackburn was at the KC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 20th February - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside Jason Burt from The Sunday Telegraph

Championship
    Leeds United v Blackpool - Graham Courtney

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire

Stuart Linnell presenting BBC Coventry & Warwickshire Sport from the Alexandra Stadium

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Area Final Second Leg
    Crewe Alexandra v Coventry City - Clive Eakin and Geoff Foster (7.30pm commentary)

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from the Alexandra Stadium

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Area Final Second Leg
    Crewe Alexandra v Coventry City - Tom Ross and Dave Bennett (7.30pm commentary in Coventry & Warwickshire)
  • digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Lancashire - Wednesday 20th February 2013.

Scott Reid presenting.

Leeds v Blackpool - Ian Chisnall and William Watt (commentary on all frequencies).
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed that neither Five Live or talkSPORT did commentary on AC Milan v FC Barcelona tonight, Surely one of them could have provided commentary, even if it was off-tube. Five Live had Leeds v Blackpool on Sports Extra, but surely there would have been more interest in the game at the San Siro, so wouldn't they have been better off covering that?

I was out this evening so unable to watch the game on TV, but was able to listen to the radio on the way home (I have digital) and would have loved to have been able to listen to second-half commentary.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmylad wrote: »
    Disappointed that neither Five Live or talkSPORT did commentary on AC Milan v FC Barcelona tonight, Surely one of them could have provided commentary, even if it was off-tube. Five Live had Leeds v Blackpool on Sports Extra, but surely there would have been more interest in the game at the San Siro, so wouldn't they have been better off covering that?

I was out this evening so unable to watch the game on TV, but was able to listen to the radio on the way home (I have digital) and would have loved to have been able to listen to second-half commentary.

it is pretty standard for 5Live and TS not to provide commentary of a champions league game with no British interest except for finals and the ocasional semi final. 5Live in particular would struggle to justify the expense of picking up the rights I think.
    I do agree though would have liked to hear it-- but understand why we didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those contributors to/readers of this thread mulling over what newspaper they should pick up today, may I recommend The Times. With it being the 20th anniversary of Bobby Moore's death this week, Jonathan Pearce has written a long article in today's Times about his memories of working with Bobby on Capital Radio during the late 1980s and early 1990s, with them working together right up until the week of Bobby's untimely death.

It is a moving and heartfelt tribute containing some lovely little stories from Jonathan and Bobby's work at Italia 90 and Euro 92 so it is well worth a read. It is also an antidote to the lazy comments you hear/read about Bobby's stint as a co-commentator on Sportstime in his final years, as if a job which going by JP's recollections he clearly enjoyed was some kind of hardship for him (while I agree the football authorities should have done more to honour him in his later years, it irks me when people write negatively about his radio work as if working on commercial radio was somehow beneath him).