Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to re-read that one a few times, accusing BoM as an ABBA rip-off, then epousing that sorry band of BoM rip off losers Bucks Fizz !

I never thought I would see the words Songwriting Sophistication and Bucks Fizz in the same sentence, Servalan darling stop sniffing the Fabreze canister there's a good chap :D

Are you dissing THE LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE!!!!!?????!!!

:o
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they'd rather "jack" than "Fleetwood Mac". There's another circle of hell for you.

Trivia for you.... Pete Waterman says that the Reynolds Girls were the only one of his many acts that actually went down the charts after appearing on TOTP.

Perhaps there were a lot of the audience that cared about golden oldies and the Rolling Stones? :D
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to re-read that one a few times, accusing BoM as an ABBA rip-off, then epousing that sorry band of BoM rip off losers Bucks Fizz !

I never thought I would see the words Songwriting Sophistication and Bucks Fizz in the same sentence, Servalan darling stop sniffing the Fabreze canister there's a good chap :D

But they did have Jay Aston!

I thought My Camera Never Lies was a great song!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    But they did have Jay Aston!

I thought My Camera Never Lies was a great song!

I thought 'If you can't stand the heat' should have been a bigger hit :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they'd rather "jack" than "Fleetwood Mac". There's another circle of hell for you.

Agree Mrs Mack! Abject drivel, lyrically and production! :D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Agree Mrs Mack! Abject drivel, lyrically and production! :D;)

Hola Rich. Nice you have you back on board mate.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree on the comment about the David Castle song, which I think is a good ballad and I had wanted to see the TOTP performance for a while. The 70s had some very good emotionally poised ballads.

I agree that the editing of Mr Blue Sky was regrettable. I like the clouds in the ending to that video as well.

Yellow Dog is a nice little rock song, and I've liked the humorous ending to it too.

From what I remember Take a Chance on Me had a decent promotional video.

My favourite BoM song is probably My Sweet Rosalie, nice ending to that as well. Angelo does have a catchy chorus though so it's not bad.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    They all seem to look very good still, although the dark haired one looks really great with the short dark hair back in '78 in my view, she ought to go back to it now, with the aid of some dye possibly?

Yellow Dog, never realised the TOTP studio was so windy. That scarf. I only like that song for the amusing way it ends, and suspect it could have been a big reason that it became such a sizable hit, because without it the sound is rather middle of the road average 70's stuff, to me.

Noo! - She was much better AND younger when her hair was long! - Infact her haircut was even shorter than the 2 blokes from BHOM!!:(

And Yellow Dog can do no wrong!! I loved that song when I was little and still do today! - It is quite a catchy little number when you get into it!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I thought 'If you can't stand the heat' should have been a bigger hit :)

Preferred New Beginning (Mamba Seyra), albeit without Jay, I also preferred the follow up to Making Your Mind Up, Piece of The Action.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »

My favourite BoM song is probably My Sweet Rosalie, nice ending to that as well. Angelo does have a catchy chorus though so it's not bad.

Isn't that the key to the success of Angelo and Figaro? They may be naff etc. but they are catchy... in fact I've now got Angelo going round in my head :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason the line "at the disco bar" from Figaro never fails to crack me up. It's just so seventies. Nobody says disco bar now. :(
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bucks Fizz were obviously modelled on the Abba model BOM tried to replicate - but I stand by my comments: Bucks Fizz's post-Eurovision singles were way more sophisticated than anything BOM attempted. The music press, already raving about Trevor Horn's work for Dollar, were quick spot the similarities in Bucks Fizz's productions and rewarded them with praise - despite the group's image.

Bucks Fizz also had something going for them that BOM never managed - a never-ending soap opera of dramatic events, not least Jay Aston's affair with one of the group's main songwriters Andy Hill (his wife Nicola Martin being the group's creator ... ouch). This formed that backdrop for one of the funniest shows I have ever seen - Night Of A Thousand Jay Astons - which played up at the Edinburgh Festival some years ago. I rather doubt BOM would ever be worthy of such a hilarious but affectionate homage ... ;)
    Forum Member
    Sorry I'm not sure how to delete a duplicate message! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason the line "at the disco bar" from Figaro never fails to crack me up. It's just so seventies. Nobody says disco bar now. :(

I don't know of many discos where people play guitars now either!! :p
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Preferred New Beginning (Mamba Seyra), albeit without Jay, I also preferred the follow up to Making Your Mind Up, Piece of The Action.

Yes - I think their comeback single was really quite good! :)

And Bucks Fizz weren't too bad - considering the dross that you get from today's manufactured pop! :rolleyes:
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ditto! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a great fan of Bucks Fizz, but My Camera Never Lies was certainly good.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rate 'Now Those Days Are Gone'. Excellent pop song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_dYbvk0mOM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as Sandra treated herself to an 'Agnetha perm' on last week's TOTP, here's Nicky also with a very familiar hairstyle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLQs0w4ExY

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making Your Mind Up circa 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6f_xFa7Xs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a nice ballad. They also did the original version of What's Love Got to Do With It, but I think I prefer the Tina Turner version. Music is Britain was in great shape in the first half of the 80s anyway, the charts were strong then.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers, and Bucks Fizz, try listening to their greatest hits you other lot, they had loads and they are great pop tunes. I think people forget just how many good ones they had. I've got their greatest hits, took it to a friend for an ironic laugh and she liked it so much I had to make a copy for her! :cool:
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always thought 'Rules of the Game' and 'When We Were Young' were Bucks Fizz's best 2 songs. They were both a bit more 'gritty' than their usual 'soft pop' stuff. Neither were no where near their biggest hits though I don't think.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The exact moment in the 80's when popular chart music reached critical mass:

This lot

versus

this lot!

on Mike Read's Pop Quiz.
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Seeing as Sandra treated herself to an 'Agnetha perm' on last week's TOTP, here's Nicky also with a very familiar hairstyle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLQs0w4ExY

;)

:eek: A 1980's Frida look before 1980!!
This discussion has been closed.