Options

0 hours contract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
Forum Member
After taking a four year break in employment after having children, now it's time to get back into the land of work. Looking through the job pages, most of the jobs seem to be 0 hours contract. Just looking for a wee part time job at nights. Thinking this 0 hour contract thing is a bloody disgrace, it's like going back in time isn't it. Why is this happening. There is just no security in jobs anymore. This government has a lot to answer for!

Comments

• Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow.drop wrote: »
    After taking a four year break in employment after having children, now it's time to get back into the land of work. Looking through the job pages, most of the jobs seem to be 0 hours contract. Just looking for a wee part time job at nights. Thinking this 0 hour contract thing is a bloody disgrace, it's like going back in time isn't it. Why is this happening. There is just no security in jobs anymore. This government has a lot to answer for!

Simple answer - It happens because people take those jobs. If nobody would take on a job with no definite hours, they would soon cease to exist in favour of a different arrangement.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer - It happens because people take those jobs. If nobody would take on a job with no definite hours, they would soon cease to exist in favour of a different arrangement.

They're taking on those jobs because the possibility of some hours is better than none at all, but do you think they're happy to be taking it on? I'm sure they'd prefer something more secure, they maybe just couldn't find it. Employers know this and exploit it.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People don't have a choice sadly.

It's called exploitation, something you are clearly very keen on.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    A contract is an agreement, freely entered into by two or more parties.
    Party A offers party B something, in return for party B doing something for party A.
    Neither party is obliged to sign the contract if they don't like the terms on offer.
    I don't see what more there is to be said on the subject, really.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    People don't have a choice sadly.

It's called exploitation, something you are clearly very keen on.

Where did I say I agreed with it to merit such an offensive comment?

I'm simply stating economic reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I say I agreed with it to merit such an offensive comment?

I'm simply stating economic reality.

Apologies.

'Economic reality', simply means something the government has failed to legislate against.

There would be all sorts of horrors going on in the workplace if 'economic reality' was allowed to prevail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Party A offers party B something, in return for party B doing something for party A.
    Neither party is obliged to sign the contract if they don't like the terms on offer.

So in that case there's no need for any employment laws. Who needs health and safety laws, after all contract of agreement would just sort that out.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only have to see the corporate exploitation of the third world to see the dangerous of it happening here. This country is sliding into that world as corporate controlled governments will ensure that workers will lose their rights in favour of big business.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TESCO, All new employees are on Zero Hrs contracts, no wonder there's no loyalty.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Problem is then party C (the job centre) stop party A's benefits for not entering into a contract with party B.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simply not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Simply not true.

Why? Who do you think is to blame
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    So in that case there's no need for any employment laws. Who needs health and safety laws, after all contract of agreement would just sort that out.

It's the Libertarian utopia!

I mean pipe-dream.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

One of the biggest zero hour contract employers is NHS Professionals - as set up under the Labour Government.

I have a 12 hour contract for my second job.

This means that I'm automatically paid for 1 hour per month whether I'm needed or not.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the biggest zero hour contract employers is NHS Professionals - as set up under the Labour Government.

I have a 12 hour contract for my second job.

This means that I'm automatically paid for 1 hour per month whether I'm needed or not.

We use them at work all the time, the nurses are not exploited as we would recruit most of them. They choose to work a zero hours contact so they can be off when is suits them, some are parents or some are retired and do zero hours to top up their pension and some are part time and do it to boost their salary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well after a few days applying for a part time job, have managed to get a phone call for an interview. Just a packing job at a whiskey factory. 0 hours contract, beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Nervous as I haven't worked for 4 years, having children.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    TESCO, All new employees are on Zero Hrs contracts, no wonder there's no loyalty.

Does that include the new CEO and CFO? No wonder they are in such a mess with their accounts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

No they wouldn't.

Many people have little choice unfortunately.

Zero hours contracts may well be fine for those with a support network, such as living with family but they are not very good for those who are the main breadwinner, or have bills to pay.

I think they should be outlawed, as the cons far outweigh any pros.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they offer people the flexibility they desire in the work place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No they wouldn't.

Many people have little choice unfortunately.

Zero hours contracts may well be fine for those with a support network, such as living with family but they are not very good for those who are the main breadwinner, or have bills to pay.

I think they should be outlawed, as the cons far outweigh any pros.

Totally agree, it probably suits a student looking for part time work or someone who has another wage coming in looking for a bit extra money, but not for the mail breadwinner. Or someone on there own. No security in a job is awful. Worrying if your not going to be able to pay bills, mortgage . I think it's disgusting the way it is just now.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they offer people the flexibility they desire in the work place.

For the people that want the flexibility, but they're being forced on people that want regular hours. If it was a choice then fine, but a lot of the time it isn't.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I prefer being on a zero hours contract because its so flexible. Where i work you can pretty much get enough work a week if you arent fussy. Some people there do more hours than full time staff.

I think its brilliant for people with kids as i know where i work they are flexible so you can chose to work between the hours of 9 and 3 if you wish and do as many or as little days as you like. It helps earn a little bit of extra cash without being tied to a job that you cant take time off if you need to look after sick children or having to hire a babysitter.