CCTV In Schools

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
CCTV should be banned in schools as its believed they are not being used to monitor trouble etc. A report believes they are used to monitor teachers performance instead. How true is this?

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have no CCTV in classrooms (don't know if other schools do) only in corridors and on outside areas that are likely to be targeted by criminals otherwise. They were used just recently to supply footage to the police when two blokes came on site during the day and stole several bikes - cut through the locks to both the bike sheds and on the bikes themselves. They were witnessed by two of our sixth form students who thankfully didn't intervene but went straight to the deputy head who called the police. That's why we have CCTV.

It's not in classrooms because none of the rooms with high values goods are on the ground floor.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    CCTV should be banned in schools as its believed they are not being used to monitor trouble etc. A report believes they are used to monitor teachers performance instead. How true is this?

They have been in schools for years and are a good thing imo. They result in better discipline and a protection for teachers from being falsely accused and provide evidence for head teachers when dealing with complaints from parents and excluding pupils.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were in all of my schools from 1994 to 2007. No cameras were ever in the classrooms or the toilets/changing rooms but they were in the corridors, common areas, canteens, gyms, auditoriums, car parks and playgrounds. They were there as security/intruder detection devices more than anything else. I doubt they were used for disciplining pupils unless it was for a very serious incident or the police requested footage. I do recall playing with the camera system when our new middle school was built, you could zoom in on the label of someones backpack from 50 metres away and it was crystal clear. Apart from that time I didn't ever see the cameras move or anyone even on the camera controller. Like I said, they were more for identification of any thieves that might want to steal some expensive equipment after hours.
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CCTV needs to be banned period!! no more surveillance state please.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »

dont agree, cctv is good for catching criminals, it shouldntbe used for anything else though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »

Without them many crimes would never be solved as they provide evidence that otherwise would not exist
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In one of those "educating" programmes, maybe Educating Essex, a girl accused a teacher of assaulting her. With the aid of the CCTV it was pretty quickly established that he had been no where near her and she was lying. Without the CCTV he would probably have been suspended whilst an investigation was held. So for this reason alone I think its a good use of CCTV - and as others have pointed out there are other beneficial uses too ..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    dont agree, cctv is good for catching criminals, it shouldntbe used for anything else though

They've got cameras in the House of Commons, and they haven't made any difference!