Please don't get drunk tonight

Comments

• Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And on the door. From past experience its always the most violent night of the year!

You're right. The perception of what a night like this is is very different for those who have to work among it.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    I can only assume you've not been in an A & E Dept on such a night.

Well disrespectful or threatening behavior is another matter, but I've also seen staff be very rude and dismissive to an innocent victim of assault just because they'd had a drink.>:(

Bit heavy for this thread though perhaps ;-)
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I am an NHS employee. I work in A&E but I'm off shift tonight, I seriously pity all of my colleagues who are in work tonight because those people who are drunk and violent / abusive make it SO much harder to do our jobs and provide the best care that we can.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a bloke on the news just said, these messages are ultimately pointless because they'll only have any effect on the people who are generally responsible anyway.

The problem drinkers and the antisocial nutters won't care one bit and will carry on as usual.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    We have to have doormen on my little hotel on this night every year because it's mental. A couple of years ago we had to call the police twice because people were fighting (we normally call police maybe twice a year normally)

All these people who only go to pub once a year and just can't handle their booze. There was a really rant tongue in cheek post from the Stoke Inn, Plymouth on Facebook which had me in tears! Look it up if you get a chance
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    And on the door. From past experience its always the most violent night of the year!

That's why it's called Black Eye Friday up here. Though in my past experience of being out on this night, we've always been nothing but happy festive drunks :) some people just turn Into arseholes when they can't handle their drink.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our work Christmas do is today. Went out for a meal this afternoon then onto a pub. I don't drink so I bowed out when they moved on to the second pub.

I'm now sat at home watching the telly!
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I'm not drinking tonight....

I'm getting totally trollied tomorrow instead.....
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Of course I'm not drinking tonight....

I'm getting totally trollied tomorrow instead.....
    I'm doing both. A bottle of wine for the Graham Norton show.
    Also just got the advocaat and Irish cream in :cool:
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm doing both. A bottle of wine for the Graham Norton show.
    Also just got the advocaat and Irish cream in :cool:

I've been saving up my alcoholic for these past few weeks so I can splash out tomorrow :kitty:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got drunk because it's a day, but I did it early because I have work tomorrow, and also the work Christmas do with free booze. And I don't want to feel too bad and tired after work to avail myself of as much of that shit as possible, so it's an early night for me.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I won't be getting drunk. I'm sitting at home typing up an essay for college.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to bed to watch Star Trek

Rock n roll
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    All I've heard on the radio all day is that millions of Brits are gonna get so sozzled tonight, all emergency services are on standby.:o

Hang on, are they trying to brain wash us??

It never entered my head to get sloshed tonight. In fact, I'm staying in to watch a Santa Claws horror film. :D:o

So, don't let the media telling you what you're going to do. Stay in tonight and prove them all wrong. :p:p:D

The shift I've just had, I'm justified in downing a few cans of Special Brew.
    I've just spent from half five till twenty past ten working with sheeple who haven't questioned the 'nessecity' of opening on boxing day, new years eve and news years day and the two bank holidays because their masters at head office tell them that the shop HAS to open on those days The place is open most of the year so a few days' closure won't cause the Co-op to go bust.
    Question: What do you call a supemarrket shelf stacker/till operator with a mind and brain of their own?
    Answer: Overqualified.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Sorry Gusto, I've read your thread too late...Hic! 😜🍸
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am normally out on a Friday night but I'm still feeling rough after our work Xmas party yesterday and I thought there would be too many idiots out tonight so I'm having a nice quiet (and sober) evening in and catching up with recordings on my telly box.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. The perception of what a night like this is is very different for those who have to work among it.
    But isn't that just because there's more people out? Pro-rata I'd imagine there's a similar number of problems as any other Friday or Saturday night.

Although obviously to those who need to deal with it it's a real terms increase.

The biggest problem seems to be the "one night a year" drinkers who have no idea how to behave, even when sober.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Just a reminder. If you know of or see a drunk getting into a car to drive - report them. Also, if you have a suspicion someone driving in front of you or behind is over the limit - again report them to the police asap. We need these criminals and potential killers off the road and hopefully into prison.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I'm getting drunk tonight, that is to say Saturday night. Can't wait. Love christmas nights out in the bars and clubs.

Start off with the mojitos then very quickly to the double vodbulls
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Alternatively, get as drunk as you like, but don't expect an ambulance to come running!

That's my take on it but why anyone would get so knowingly bladdered that they end up in an ambulance wasting precious A & E/ NHS time is beyond me. Even worse, the idiots who get so drunk that they become violent and abusive to the very people trying to help them. Call me stuck up if you like but I've seen enough of it. Nowt wrong with getting merry but just be prepared to suck up the consequences.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have already seen a few lunatics shouting on the street. It really seems to be the night for the 'once a year drinkers'.

Bracing myself for a mad night!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Just been out in the city centre and their are far more obviously drunk people around than normal on a Saturday at 6am. One guy in a t shirt was trying to get money from an ATM but didn't have a card with him
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The biggest problem seems to be the "one night a year" drinkers who have no idea how to behave, even when sober.

^this^

It's like New Year's Eve or St Patrick's Day- amateur night.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've supplies bought for the week and I'm not venturing out unless necessary. I don't have the heart to stand in a packed bar with a load of tossers anymore. During the day the roads and streets are jam packed with shoppers. Crazy. Go back to your homes!
  • DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how my head feels today I should have taken this advice.

Good fun though.