Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I don't think it was offside so I'll be joining Lennon in not apologising.
    It doesn't matter what you think -- it was offside.

And I'm pretty sure that if on a day when pigs started flying, Neil Lennon admitted it was offside, you'd suddenly agree.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I think Lennon could learn a lot from watching Roberto Martinez........ now there is a manager who's side is constantly on the receiving end of poor decisions. It's well known that he tells his players to respect the officials and don't go chasing them everytime they make a bad decision. He does become irate at times but he keeps his cool and understands it's just an honest mistake down to human error. He is also quick to apologise if he feels his comments are out of order or if his players behave out of line. All managers say things in the heat of the moment but I feel Lennon could have been the bigger man and just apologised for his actions at the weekend but somehow in his paranoid head he believes it's some sort of witch hunt. He fails to realise that with a few minutes to go in a cup semi final his side nearly benefitted from an offside goal.

Lennon should be in the stands next season for a lengthy ban, he is a serial offender. There are still those wearing the tinted specs who seem to think that this is good for the club, surely Lennon should shut up and just get on with it. Keep his grievances in house. A manager should be in the dugout not in the stands.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was offside so I'll be joining Lennon in not apologising.

It was offside. Hooper was never onside at any point during that move. Poor play by him. Poor play by Ki missing two point blank headers. Poor tactics/team selection by Lennon, yet it was all the refs fault.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    It was offside. Hooper was never onside at any point during that move. Poor play by him. Poor play by Ki missing two point blank headers. Poor tactics/team selection by Lennon, yet it was all the refs fault.

Poor team selection, making one change from the team that the previous weekend won 6-0 - what was he thinking?

We can't win every game 6-0 but is it wrong to expect the referee to keep his mistakes to a minimum? We were on the wrong end of at least two on Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lennon should be in the stands next season for a lengthy ban, he is a serial offender. There are still those wearing the tinted specs who seem to think that this is good for the club, surely Lennon should shut up and just get on with it. Keep his grievances in house. A manager should be in the dugout not in the stands.
    Lennon will love being hit with a lengthy ban, because it'll play right into the hands of the paranoid Celtic fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't win every game 6-0 but is it wrong to expect the referee to keep his mistakes to a minimum? We were on the wrong end of at least two on Sunday.
    Boo-bloody-hoo.

I've seen Dundee on the receiving end of half a dozen or more wrong decisions in a game. Has Barry Smith decided it's "personal" and ranted in referee's faces like a spoiled child? No.

I know this is like beating my head off a brick wall, but Celtic fans and Neil Lennon need to learn that poor decisions go against every club, not just theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Lennon will love being hit with a lengthy ban, because it'll play right into the hands of the paranoid Celtic fans.

Surely he'll need to be found guilty first?

Some doubt as to whether than will happen tomorrow - Hugh Dallas has already given Celtic a defence for any impending charge for running onto the pitch to shout at Norris in a non foul nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely he'll need to be found guilty first?

Some doubt as to whether than will happen tomorrow - Hugh Dallas has already given Celtic a defence for any impending charge for running onto the pitch to shout at Norris in a non foul nature.
    Enlighten us - what's the defence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enlighten us - what's the defence?

UEFA Official prejudicing any chance of Lennon getting a fair hearing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UEFA Official prejudicing any chance of Lennon getting a fair hearing?
    No, seriously, what's the defence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, seriously, what's the defence?

Another strand of the defence will depend on tomorrow, if it's proven that the two officials reports are different then where can Lennon expect to be able to speak to the referee knowing that anything he says will be truthfully reported?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor team selection, making one change from the team that the previous weekend won 6-0 - what was he thinking?

Poor team selection/tactics. Playing Hooper in a weird role never seen before .Despite Thompson's claims to the contrary, this was definitely not the same set-up as the previous game. It is it too much to expect the team to keep their mistakes to a minimum?
    Celtic played poorly for 80 minutes. No-one at the SFA is to blame for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Just wondering, do fans care about the SPL league split?

It does work in keeping the amount of games down to 38, but doesn't make any real difference apart from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    Just wondering, do fans care about the SPL league split?

It does work in keeping the amount of games down to 38, but doesn't make any real difference apart from that.

Keeping the number of games down is it's main purpose.
    Other than that, it can be good if the title and/or relegation is close.
    The title contenders and relegation candidates have to play the the same teams in the last 5 games so it avoids any team having a much easier run-in.
    Having said that, a bigger league would be better IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Having said that, a bigger league would be better IMO.
    I agree, with 18 team league being my prefered option, two games against each team home and away, have playoffs like the Dutch league.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I'd much prefer 18 teams aswell. More opposition rather than playing the same sides 4+ times a season. 34 games with play offs as Bhoy said.

Even a 16 team league, however 30 games isn't enough IMO.

If we were to keep the 12 teams i'd introduce a play off for 11th place v 2nd place in division 1. That is a must IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Kennedy, the man who said he would only make a bid in order to save Rangers from Liquidation, has tonight made a third bid for the financially stricken club.

....according to the BBC.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Billy McNiell was part of a celtic side which dominated but even he said 'It's been happening for 50 years. The big decisions have always gone against my club and in favour of Rangers. Nothing has changed.'

Of course not every official in scottish football is anti celtic but rangers are 'the establishment club' and the fact that for 12 years they were able to do what they have been doing while nobody seemed to notice only just proves that point.

Your posts reek of a deep-seated hatred for Rangers ... every single stinking one of them.:rolleyes:

Celtic caught a few breaks when they were winning - now they have been caught out when push came to shove (some would say bottled it) ... and Lennon has resorted to type. EVERY single neutral knows that to be the case, the only ones taken in by Lennon's antics are the Celtic faithful and that is really no surpise given his past ... blind faith and all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Your posts reek of a deep-seated hatred for Rangers ... every single stinking one of them.:rolleyes:

Celtic caught a few breaks when they were winning - now they have been caught out when push came to shove (some would say bottled it) ... and Lennon has resorted to type. EVERY single neutral knows that to be the case, the only ones taken in by Lennon's antics are the Celtic faithful and that is really no surpise given his past ... blind faith and all that.

I beg to differ, some of the refereeing decisions were just as bad - Lennon even said after the cup semi against Falkirk that the decision to rule out Hooper's goal for offside was the worst he'd seen as manager as Hooper was about 2 yards onside. Funnily enough that too featured Euan Norris.

Still SPL champions nonetheless :D
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Your posts reek of a deep-seated hatred for Rangers ... every single stinking one of them. :

Apart from .. Stoney .....on this fred !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd much prefer 18 teams aswell. More opposition rather than playing the same sides 4+ times a season. 34 games with play offs as Bhoy said.

Even a 16 team league, however 30 games isn't enough IMO.

If we were to keep the 12 teams i'd introduce a play off for 11th place v 2nd place in division 1. That is a must IMO.

I would support an 18 team league if we had enough decent teams to accommodate it, but we don't in my opinion.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    I would support an 18 team league if we had enough decent teams to accommodate it, but we don't in my opinion.

I don't understand this argument, are you trying to say that we couldn't get 6 teams as good as Dunfermline, St Mirren, Inverness etc. from Dundee, Falkirk, Partick Thistle, Hamilton Accies, Ayr, Morton, Raith Rovers, Livingston, Ross County?

It's absolute nonsense as many of those teams have already played in the top flight in the not too distant past.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Anyone looking for an illustration of how far Scotland and the SPL has fallen need only look at the short-list for player of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for an illustration of how far Scotland and the SPL has fallen need only look at the short-list for player of the year.

Steve Davis must have made the shortlist on the basis that he is captain of Rangers, because it sure isn't for his performances.
This discussion has been closed.