Chris Martin

Comments

• elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Why is music only deemed to be worthwhile if it's innovative and original and made by daring and creative artists??

Because aiming to make something with no originality or innovation means to simply recreate what already exists - by its nature an exercise in redundancy - especially in a recorded medium where it's already possible to produce infinite copies of existing material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Why is music only deemed to be worthwhile if it's innovative and original and made by daring and creative artists??

It doesn't necessarily have to be 'original' but surely being creative is what makes an artist an artist in the first place?
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    And that's the most comically infantile post I've seen in some time.

How sad for you that being rich and plain are your only measures of success and that a veneer of wealth and fame amount in your view to a 'perfect life'.

Even if you are to assume that we're all that shallow, I'm not sure why you think we'd be 'jealous' particularly of someone who attained his fortune by playing it safe to a bunch of mediocre milk-sops rather than the great many daring and creative artists in the world who achieved their success through innovation and originality.

It does amuse me that even a defender of Martin chooses, rather than citing anything special in any of his work, to hold up his wealth and fame as his sole achievements. Truly, let's all bow down in deference to our betters. ;)

Youre jealous, end of.

I would love to know what artists you listen to though
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Yawn! ^
    Yep. I'm well jel of the curly haired bedwetter :rolleyes:

Yeah sure you aint...truth hurts
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    He's a knob

Why? :confused:
  • CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I love Coldplay and Chris Martin, sorry :o
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? :confused:
    Anyone who names their children Apple & Moses is a knob IMHO
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because aiming to make something with no originality or innovation means to simply recreate what already exists - by its nature an exercise in redundancy - especially in a recorded medium where it's already possible to produce infinite copies of existing material.

Alternatively music is worthwhile if people enjoy listening to it as it has served the purpose for which it was created

Coldplay make music and people enjoy their music. Therefore the music that Coldplay make is worthwhile
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If he wasn't successful no-one would give a toss.

He writes great songs. Not the greatest performer but he gets by.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Therefore the music that Coldplay make is worthwhile
    Yes
    As a cure for insomnia
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Does he actually like to be seen with his wife? he seems dull to me
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thing of arriving separately at events and so forth is a bit OTT.

OK, they like to keep their family life private, but the world isn't going to cave in if they are pictured together once every ten years or so. We already know they're married!!

He just seems to be a bit of a misery on a terminal student hangover while his wife is trying to play the Earth Mother.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    The solution for those who don't like him is simply to not listen to Coldplay. It's quite easily avoided
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    He's a really good songwriter, and I always thinks he comes across as a sweetheart in interviews.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    This thing of arriving separately at events and so forth is a bit OTT.

OK, they like to keep their family life private, but the world isn't going to cave in if they are pictured together once every ten years or so. We already know they're married!!

He just seems to be a bit of a misery on a terminal student hangover while his wife is trying to play the Earth Mother.

Exactly. They come accross as a pair of self entitled misery guts. Nobody is jealous of them, well I'm not anyway. I just think that they both could do a bit more in being a tad more friendly and approachable to the people that have helped put them where they are.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    They aren't miserable. They just don't conform to the Smile Police rules, which dictates that every celebrity apparently must walk around at all times with enormous Joker-like grins.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware there was a law stating that music had to be exciting or innovative

There isn't. Just like there isn't a law against disliking CM for being neither.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't be doing with the stage antics.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    They aren't miserable. They just don't conform to the Smile Police rules, which dictates that every celebrity apparently must walk around at all times with enormous Joker-like grins.

So true!

I actually quite like CM and GP. They are both harmless and I really don't understand the hate they get.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member

No offence but this reply seems a bit pretentious. Fact is there's a lot of 'preciousness' in music. If someone likes it, whether it's artistic or musically vaccuous that's their priviledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Youre jealous, end of.

I would love to know what artists you listen to though

Because somebody doesn't like the people you listen to then theyre jealous :confused:
    Bit childish
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle class, middle of the road, mild mannered purveyor of middle of the road music for other middle class, middle of the road people. The human equivalent of beige wallpaper.

How is he middle class?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike Chris Martin.

Goopy, his wife, however.........
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not trendy to like Coldplay that is what it is about and the fact that the four Coldplay lads are from Middle class backgrounds and had privileges that made it easier for them to break into music.

I have seen them live and enjoyed both their concerts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That website is awful, she constantly preaches (like her ex-friend Madonna) at others on how to live their lives, how to live healthily so as to avoid cancer like her father died of.

And then goes and ruins it all by smoking. Eejit!

Don't mind him so much though, not a massive fan but not a hater either.