You win the lottery - what would you do about work?

Comments

• Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    They'd probably still try to do you on a sanction for the misappropriation of the quid you spent on your Lotto ticket :D
    I work with a bloke and he's the most miserable person I've ever encountered. He could win £100 Million and would moan about the £1 he had to spend in order for the win to happen
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this earlier, and was all "I just wouldn't turn up ever again."

But then I thought about the team I manage and wouldn't like to leave them struggling, so I'd probably work my notice out of respect for them. However, I'd enjoy indulging in pointing out some home truths to certain individuals during that period that could potentially get me sacked now.

I wouldn't given a reason for leaving either.

Depends on the amount. If I won the euromillions I'd leave if course but if I won a million or so I'd probably keep working
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on how much you like your job. In my old job I would've worked my notice to be considerate and then left because just not turning up would have seemed rude.

If I could afford not to work now I wouldn't.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd carry on working. Staying at home would bore me rigid.

Not me, I'd give up in a heartbeat if I won a very large amount.

I couldn't care less if people thought I was unproductive, I'd enjoy my life.

I'd give to those who needed help though and to friends and (close) family.

To all those who win the lottery and win a large amount of money I wish them the very best of luck and I hope they enjoy their lives.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I just don't get that.

Work is a chore that we have to do to earn money to live. If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't work. I wouldn't get bored. I have worked full-time for nearly 32 years. I think that's enough for anyone. There are so many other worthwhile things that I could be doing with my time rather than working. Travelling the world, learning new skills, spending time with friends and family.

If I won millions today, I wouldn't phone my employer in on Monday to say that I wasn't coming back. I'd be too busy sunning myself and sipping cocktails out of coconut shells on some exotic beach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I just don't get that.

Work is a chore that we have to do to earn money to live. If I didn't need the money, I wouldn't work. I wouldn't get bored. I have worked full-time for nearly 32 years. I think that's enough for anyone. There are so many other worthwhile things that I could be doing with my time rather than working. Travelling the world, learning new skills, spending time with friends and family.

If I won millions today, I wouldn't phone my employer in on Monday to say that I wasn't coming back. I'd be too busy sunning myself and sipping cocktails out of coconut shells on some exotic beach.
    If you enjoy your job, especially if it's a vocation, then it isn't a chore. If you work for yourself, letting your customers down really isn't a good thing to do and you'd really have to have no conscious to do that.

I mean, imagine if you were having a new kitchen or bathroom fitted and it had just been gutted. You'd have no running water to wash or cook and then the following day the plumber/ builder just doesn't turn up and you can't get in contact with them. Not to mention whatever you'd so far paid out to them.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm.. difficult decision. At the moment I'm half way through a qualification at work. If I won euromillions then my intention would be to set up my own company. Having the qualification that my current employer is funding me through would give me a major advantage. As I need to be at work to do the qualification then I think my plan would be to be very quiet about the win, wait until I get my certificate and then put in my notice. Might even wait a little while just to keep abreast of developments in my field before branching out on my own. Don't think that I would just jump ship without a clear plan of action for my future though and the wheels would already be in motion to start my own company before I left. So premises, contracts etc all in place before leaving work.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    I just don't get that.

Me too, I'd get my butler to tell them:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I'd get my butler to tell them:D
    Do you really think the winnings would be in your account that quickly?

People tend to think of all the stuff they can buy and how great life will be with millions in the bank but they forget about the things they can't change or fail to see any issues that my arise because of their sudden wealth.

Do people think that rich people have no problems or issues?
  • LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Assuming that I won a good amount, Not go back to work (since I am currently on maternity leave) and when the mini one is older go work full time for the charity I am a youth leader for. If I was back at work when it happened I would work my notice and not tell anyone why I was leaving, then follow the above plan
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Do you really think the winnings would be in your account that quickly?

People tend to think of all the stuff they can buy and how great life will be with millions in the bank but they forget about the things they can't change or fail to see any issues that my arise because of their sudden wealth.

Do people think that rich people have no problems or issues?

Lighten up, it was a joke. And I am aware that situations and problems could arise but having the money to deal with them would be a huge help.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I won a decent amount I would probably buy a place and rent it out via an agency to assure some form of income. I would also try and get a business of some kind set up in somewhere like Australia, I got non blood relatives over there that could manage it in the months that I am in England.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd have the money to do anything or go anywhere and all you can think of is kicking about the house?
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would quit my care job like a shot... its independent living......and have a holiday
    Then come back, invest in a company I do some part time work with and tell certain business sectors who play politics in my city to go blow it out thier arse....its a long story
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I'd quit my job like straight away.

I'd go and chase my dream job though
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Dante Ameche;76122938]Do you really think the winnings would be in your account that quickly?

Do people think that rich people have no problems or issues?[/QUOTE]

The winnings are in your account within 48-72 hours. Camelot also give you a sum of money (normally 5k) to tie you over until your account has been set up
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I'm self employed, would probably give it all up :) but honestly, I don't mind working, love being my own boss
  • LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would give my employer my contractual notice period.

So that way, when I've spent my money on women and booze then squandered the rest away, I could ask for my old job back :D
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm self employed, would probably give it all up :) but honestly, I don't mind working, love being my own boss

Because I am my own boss, I can wake up one morning and go, Oh, I don't feel like working today, can I just stay in bed? Oh, I dunno, you'd better ask the boss. "David, can I stay in bed all day?" "Yes, you can, David". Both me. I'm not. That's not me in bed with another bloke called David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lighten up, it was a joke. And I am aware that situations and problems could arise but having the money to deal with them would be a huge help.
    It's a pretty rubbish joke that I've been hearing for the last 20 years and I am light, I only weigh 8 stones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    The winnings are in your account within 48-72 hours. Camelot also give you a sum of money (normally 5k) to tie you over until your account has been set up
    Well they really must have very little going on in their lives if they blowing 5 grand on a holiday in less than 48 hours before the money hits the account and the finger prints on the winning ticket have been checked and verified
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Well they really must have very little going on in their lives if they blowing 5 grand on a holiday in less than 48 hours before the money hits the account and the finger prints on the winning ticket have been checked and verified

What? Nobody checks finger prints. The 48-72 hours is normally only for wins of over half a million, anything under that is paid in once everything is checked, ie, ticket and 2 forms of id.
    Over a mill and the delay is because Camelot line up meetings with private banks and advisors .
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I'd walk tomorrow if I could think of another realistic option, never mind if I won the lottery!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    What? Nobody checks finger prints. The 48-72 hours is normally only for wins of over half a million, anything under that is paid in once everything is checked, ie, ticket and 2 forms of id.
    Over a mill and the delay is because Camelot line up meetings with private banks and advisors .
    Really, I heard they also do DNA swabs, cos every big winner kisses their tickets
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    deleted