Channel 5 HD on Freeview - whats the latest?

13»

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC has been given permission to use the capacity itself or sublet it. Subletting does not needs to be to a PSB. BBC FTV Ltd are advertising the capacity for lease now, not OFCOM.

The confusion arises because the OFCOM licence that would have been issued from the first three advertisements would have been restricted to PSBs - but we are past that now.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The confusion arises because the OFCOM licence that would have been issued from the first three advertisements would have been restricted to PSBs - but we are past that now.

Thanks for the info. So does this mean that literally any channel with the dosh will be given the slot or are the BBC expected to exercise some kind of judgement call? Any idea for how long the licence will be granted?
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which I'd prefer. One would (hopefully) go towards the current BBC channel's output and the other would (hopefully) mean another decent channel.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    This vvv:
    "Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding Channel 5 HD.

While we do not have any current plans to launch this channel on Freesat and Freeview, we are keeping the option under review for the future and your interest in seeing it made available on these platforms has been noted in our Viewer Enquiries Report. This is circulated throughout the company and seen by all relevant personnel.

Thank you for your interest in Channel 5."

The above is the current official line from Channel 5 as of yesterday. It's a case of maybe sometime but not now or in the near future and they are certainly letting their viewers down.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This vvv:

The above is the current official line from Channel 5 as of yesterday. It's a case of maybe sometime but not now or in the near future and they are certainly letting their viewers down.

not having channel5HD makes freeview abit of a joke doesnt it? :(
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »

Not really but, as a PSB, some pressure should have been put on Channel 5 to get the HD version on all platforms. I'd have thought that the PSB licence renewal would have been an ideal opportunity to do this.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not Freeview, but more like Channel 5 and/or the licence being the joke.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,243
    Forum Member

There are Freeview channels I'd much rather have in HD than Channel 5.
  • AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    There are Freeview channels I'd much rather have in HD than Channel 5.

Seconded. I would happily see the slot go to someone else.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the main problems is that Sky are making money out of upselling HD channels to their subscribers. Thus they are happy to subsidise channels to broadcast in HD as long as they are kept off Freeview (which would be a disincentive to pay their HD subs).

Whilst this money stream is there commercial broadcasters are going to continue to favour taking Skys shilling, as it's probably more money than the extra they would make from commercials from Freeview HD carriage at the moment.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably more money than the extra they would make from commercials from Freeview HD carriage at the moment.

As anyone wishing to view the content can still watch the SD channel, any additional advertising revenue from adding the HD channel would probably be quite small.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention you lose specific regional advertising with only having a single version of an HD channel too.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Does Five *have* any regional advertising?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the regional variations are what takes up a lot of the room on their satellite transponder. I think there's about five in all.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the number of channels on the transponder that causes the poor quality though, it's their out-of-date encoders. Channel 4 manage to have the same number of channels per transponder without issues.

But yes, they have 5 regional variations.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest?

It's not on Freeview, it's not coming any time soon, and probably won't be coming at all.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    It's not the number of channels on the transponder that causes the poor quality though, it's their out-of-date encoders. Channel 4 manage to have the same number of channels per transponder without issues.

But yes, they have 5 regional variations.

C4 have 6 regional variations. C5 has 5.