Hedgehog spotting

Edita_BrychtaEdita_Brychta Posts: 30
Forum Member
Do you like the idea of hedgehog spotting? After posting my contribution to this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14345003 I thought it might make a nice thing to discuss, considering how rare it is to see a hedgehog in broad daylight. :)

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a while since I've seen a hedgehog. I saw one not far from where I live going across the road at night.

Edit: The last time I saw a hedgehog in the daytime was back in the '90s.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have 2 or 3 in the garden every night - in the summer we'd put out water for them (in an inverted frisbee) and they headed to that before the food, so water must be important to them when it's dry weather. They are very noisy eaters, we often stay up late to watch them - they are so cute! :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've not heard or seen them for a long time.
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was little there was a Hedgehog in our garden.
    The neighbours got there hands on it. God knows what they did to the poor thing. :(

Apart from that I have never seen a wild hedgehog. Oh wait I think I may have seen one a couple of years back. It was 10 at night I spotted something moving out of the corner of my eye, by the time I turned my head to see it, it was gone. It was so dark as there wasn't any street lamps, so it was hard to find the hedgehog.
  • Edita_BrychtaEdita_Brychta Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    When I was little there was a Hedgehog in our garden.
    The neighbours got there hands on it. God knows what they did to the poor thing. :(

Apart from that I have never seen a wild hedgehog.
    I've seen worst, I've seen a squashed hedgehog out in the middle of a road which evidently got run over! :cry:
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We leave food for hedgehogs in the garden every night (luckily they like cat food). They'll stop coming soon as they go off to hibernate, but they'll be back in the spring. Used to be they wouldn't stay around if we went outside, but now they just ignore us and keep on eating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen worst, I've seen a squashed hedgehog out in the middle of a road which evidently got run over! :cry:
    Aw poor thing. :(
    My mum saw a squashed Squirrel in the road once :(

I could never run over an animal. I don't care what the law say's I will stop to let an animal cross the road.
  • Edita_BrychtaEdita_Brychta Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I also once saw one stuck down a drain, although I don't know if it was dead or alive! :(
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw one for the first time in years just wandering down the street away few weeks back. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also once saw one stuck down a drain, although I don't know if it was dead or alive! :(
    Didn't you check to see if it was alive. You could have saved it if it was alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    Didn't you check to see if it was alive. You could have saved it if it was alive.

As someone else already said in another thread Why why why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See them in the garden occasionally. Lovely things. And if you roll them around, they're marvellous at collecting autumn leaves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »

:confused: Are you asking why anyone would bother to save an animal that was trapped and otherwise facing a slow, nasty death?
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw my sister get hit in the head with a dead hedgehog (true story).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    :confused: Are you asking why anyone would bother to save an animal that was trapped and otherwise facing a slow, nasty death?

:o:D :D No Wonkey. It wasn't about the alleged hedgehog down the drain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    :confused:
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the woman in black was reincarnated as a hedgehog :p
  • open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Just over a year ago, I was in the garden during the day and a hedgehog came over and started sniffing my foot, it was a baby one, I managed to capture a video of it. I occasionally spot them when I look out the window at night, they move quite fast. Anyway here is a video of the one in my garden:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNa6MsJULbM
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    My mate and I saw one wandering across a main road a few years ago. Fortunately there was no traffic. We picked the poor thing up and put it somewhere more hedgehog-friendly.
  • padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    Do you like the idea of hedgehog spotting? After posting my contribution to this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14345003 I thought it might make a nice thing to discuss, considering how rare it is to see a hedgehog in broad daylight. :)

Latest estimates are that the hedgehog population has fallen from about 30 million to around 1 million so they are becoming increasingly rare.

You really shouldn't see hedgehogs in broad daylight thought. They are nocturnal animals and the advice from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society is if you see a hedgehog in daylight then there is probably something wrong and they need help. If they are carrying leaves or grass and seem to have purpose then they may be alright but if they seem lethargic or if they are unsteady on their feet you should contact the BHPS and find a local carer who can care for it.

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/posters/Hedgehogs-in-need-of-help.pdf

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are really cute. Hence my username.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's rare because hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures. If you see a hedgehog in the daytime it is usually because it's ill or dying.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A hedgehog made it's way into my house a few weeks ago, and attacked my foot while making grunting type noises, probably because my cat had been attacking it!! I hadn't been aware they made sounds til then!:eek::D
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    A hedgehog made it's way into my house a few weeks ago, and attacked my foot while making grunting type noises, probably because my cat had been attacking it!! I hadn't been aware they made sounds til then!:eek::D

Only you could manage to get attacked by a hedgehog! :D:p

(A mad professor at my uni once got bitten by a rabid bat, in Holland. That was odd.)