Options

Peak flow meter

chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Could use some advice if anyone has experience with these. ive been told to use one as i get out of breath a lot. ive just taken mine for the first time.
The three readings i got were:
I am a 22 year old female im about 4ft 3

Is this good or bad? i cant find any useful info on the net

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I have asthma so measure my peak flow a lot at the doctors.
    I did it this week and it was 450 which they though was really good.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't say for sure but those numbers seem a bit low to me TBH.

Now I am a man so I should have more lung capacity than you... my numbers are between 450 and 500.

Who advised you to use the meter? Was it a Dr? Nurse?

They should have given you an idea of what a healthy reading should be?

Have a look here -> http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/outpatientmanual/PeakFlowTables.htm

I think you should be closer to 320 / 350
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marleyme wrote: »
    I have asthma so measure my peak flow a lot at the doctors.
    I did it this week and it was 450 which they though was really good.

Hope that helps

So mine must be quite low
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I couldn't say for sure but those numbers seem a bit low to me TBH.

Now I am a man so I should have more lung capacity than you... my numbers are between 450 and 500.

Who advised you to use the meter? Was it a Dr? Nurse?

They should have given you an idea of what a healthy reading should be?

Have a look here -> http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/outpatientmanual/PeakFlowTables.htm

I think you should be closer to 320 / 350

It was my GP. Was never given any info just told to use it and record.
  • Options
    simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you doing it correctly?
    Really deep breath and seal lips around tube and blow has hard as you can.
    Your reading seem a bit low but i'm sure Doctor will give you an inhaler which will improve things after you have got a few days worth of readings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could use some advice if anyone has experience with these. ive been told to use one as i get out of breath a lot. ive just taken mine for the first time.

For your age and height a normal would be in the 430 - 490 range.

Were you instructed how to use this properly?
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP if you type PEF chart into a search engine, you will be shown some good charts. The people on here saying 'you should be at about 450' etc. are about right I reckon. However my little gadget seems to me a bit dodgy and I am not sure it's accurate - I'd love to have your readings.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For your age and height a normal would be in the 430 - 490 range.

Nah, not at 4 ft 3... I think Justabloke's estimate is more likely...
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP have you been diagnosed with a condition affecting your breathing such as asthma? If you are just feeling breathless for an unknown reason, the GP would normally test your peak flow at the surgery. Once they have diagnosed you, or need to to keep an eye on things, they may prescribe a monitor, but not without showing you what to do. They should also tell you what results they'd had, and make sure you know and understand the results mean.

Has your GP made sure your technique is right? I know when I first had a peak flow test, the GP got me to do it several times, because I wasn't blowing hard and sharp enough. She also told me off for leaning forward when I exhaled. There's a knack to it!

Is it mini-Wright? There should be a chart inside, for you to monitor your results, and a table showing what values are considered normal for your height, weight, and gender.

Ultimately, if you are concerned, you need to speak to your GP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I have asthma and blow 700 on a peak flow meter.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    It was my GP. Was never given any info just told to use it and record.

That seems very poor practice - the practice nurse should have shown you how to use it.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi, I was told the 200 is the danger level.......280 is only slightly better. I suggest you see your GP at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just done it several times today it still coming up around the 250 mark. even when ive woken up and when i came back from having my daily walk. I followed the instructions on the leaflet and its still 250ish. it is a mini-wright. im going to do it for two weeks then make an appointment with the doctor
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just done it several times today it still coming up around the 250 mark. even when ive woken up and when i came back from having my daily walk. I followed the instructions on the leaflet and its still 250ish. it is a mini-wright. im going to do it for two weeks then make an appointment with the doctor

Hi Chris...don`t leave it for 2 weeks, try to see the GP or the Asthma Nurse this coming week cors 250 peak flow is not good.

Try having a black coffee...I find this helps a lot, but you really should get to the drs asap!

Have you looked up Asthma and peak flow on tinterweb?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I have asthma and my peak flow is around 350 - 400. My pulmonary consultant told me if it went below 250 to go to A&E!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah have looked it up. Does anyone think it could be linked to a potential heart condition if it is that low?
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah have looked it up. Does anyone think it could be linked to a potential heart condition if it is that low?

Op if your GP prescribed you the monitor, he or she must have told you what they were monitoring for. Did they mention a heart condition?

Did they even do a test at the surgery? If so, what reading did they get?

It really would be unheard of for a GP not to do a peak flow test at the surgery, and yet ask you to monitor things yourself. With you saying you'd followed the instructions in the pack, it seems like they haven't shown you what to do.

I just can't see it happening, but if it has, it sounds like bad practice from your GP. Did the GP say how long to monitor for, and when to come back with the results?

The results may not even be accurate, if you haven't been shown properly. When I first did one, the GP had to keep telling me to blow harder and sharper than I thought I needed to, until I gave a proper reading.

Did you buy it yourself from the pharmacy? If so, then you will only scare yourself. You really need to go to your GP or A&E if you are really worried.

Edit - sorry if my post seems harsh OP. Do you have general anxiety about your health?