Options

Whats the deal with the new Terminator film?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
does anybody actually know?
is it a reboot or what?

digitalspy keeps reporting it as a 'reboot', but other sources on the internet actually say it is simply another terminator film but 'messing with the timeline' type thing. just with different actors playing each part. (as the others are too old)

then ofcourse the original rumour which digitalspy reported was that the arnie terminator goes back in time to the 1940s to protect the connors ancesters (i quite liked that idea)

Comments

• Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    does anybody actually know?
    is it a reboot or what?

digitalspy keeps reporting it as a 'reboot', but other sources on the internet actually say it is simply another terminator film but 'messing with the timeline' type thing. just with different actors playing each part. (as the others are too old)

then ofcourse the original rumour which digitalspy reported was that the arnie terminator goes back in time to the 1940s to protect the connors ancesters (i quite liked that idea)

I haven't a clue! :blush:

Is anyone out there genuinely excited about this project? :confused:

Nobody involved (from top 2 bottom) gives me any hope whatsoever that they'll produce summit worth watching! :(
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea..but hopefully it will be an improvement on the last 3.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »

T2 is one of the best sci fi films ever made, certainly in the top 10 sequels of all time.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    T2 is one of the best sci fi films ever made, certainly in the top 10 sequels of all time.:confused:

Maybe for you, just found it over long and dull for the most part, like most of Cameron films (Aliens, Abyss, Titanic, Avatar & True Lies). T2 certainly wasn't as bad as 3 or salvation though, but nowhere near a patch on the original.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Only T1 and T2 exist

Nothing else.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T1 is my favourite movie of all time! ... i quite like T3 aswell! :)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »

A kick in the head would be better than 3. Clare Danes SERIOUSLY annoys me in that film. Thank god her acting has improved on Homeland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing horribly wrong with T3 and T4, in fact good solid movies in their own right, but just don't compare to the greatness of the first two.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there were plans to make it partly a reboot and partly a remake of Terminator 1? Well, not a remake or reboot. Rather, a new story set in the T1 setting.

I think it was to reveal how the antics in T1 accidentally gave birth to a new division in Cyberdyne Systems (the people behind Skynet). I think the idea was that someone found fragments of the Terminator, and used those to create a new type of A.I. machine. As Cyberdyne Systems became bigger and serious, someone inside was alarmed enough to spread the word, which gave birth to the Resistance.

Has that plan been dropped?
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I thought there were plans to make it partly a reboot and partly a remake of Terminator 1? Well, not a remake or reboot. Rather, a new story set in the T1 setting.

I think it was to reveal how the antics in T1 accidentally gave birth to a new division in Cyberdyne Systems (the people behind Skynet). I think the idea was that someone found fragments of the Terminator, and used those to create a new type of A.I. machine. As Cyberdyne Systems became bigger and serious, someone inside was alarmed enough to spread the word, which gave birth to the Resistance.

Has that plan been dropped?

depends, how old is the John Conor which has been cast ?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    depends, how old is the John Conor which has been cast ?

Fun question. According to his IMDB profile, Jason Clarke is 43. In Terminator Salvation, Connor is what, 31?

Jai Courtney (awful choice) - appearing as Kyle - is 27. In Terminator Salvation, Kyle's around 17. In Terminator 1, he's between 26 and 29.

This suggests T5 may take place ten years after T4 and that there will be a visit to Sarah's time.

Sounds like T5 will be a sequel? Possibly, a bridge between T4 and T1?
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I wouldn't have thought Salvation will have any bearing on this film, being so awful I'd imagine they'll ignore it completely. Just my hunch though.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    salvation was far from great ,,,,, but t3 was just awful
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Difficult one this.

T1 is brilliant sci-fi horror, T2 is brilliant sci-fi thriller.

T3 was complete garbage and T4 was too removed from the originals and concentrated too much on a irrelevant sub plot (Marcus' story arc).

Future Terminator movies also have the problem of being associated with an over the hill Arnie. He is totally unsuited to be cast as a Terminator now, but he is still mentioned and seemingly involved in new Terminator projects.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I thought there was some scope for the films to continue to be in the actual machine war era they were going in.

Pity they seem to have dropped (or he left them) Christian Bale.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T1: Phenomenal
    T2: Superb
    T3: Disappointing
    T4: Ordinary

So expectations for the next are not particularly high.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Terminator movies. ♡

Two is amazing and my fave (watching it right now in fact) but I also love three and four. Part one is my least fave.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its sound like more of an alternate continuation of the franchise.

I'm kinda looking forward to it. Never been a big fan really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Difficult one this.

T1 is brilliant sci-fi horror, T2 is brilliant sci-fi thriller.

T3 was complete garbage and T4 was too removed from the originals and concentrated too much on a irrelevant sub plot (Marcus' story arc).

Future Terminator movies also have the problem of being associated with an over the hill Arnie. He is totally unsuited to be cast as a Terminator now, but he is still mentioned and seemingly involved in new Terminator projects.

I disagree. An old man, or woman terminator, would be a perfect infiltrator, or even a child. They would elicit sympathy, and would be welcomed into a group, whereas some hulking great, physically perfect specimen would arouse suspicion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably be a 12A anyway, so that would immediately squash any excitement that there maybe for it.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Love the Terminator movies. ♡

Two is amazing and my fave (watching it right now in fact) but I also love three and four. Part one is my least fave.

Interesting, I've never heard a fan of the Terminator franchise saying their least favourite is the original. What is it you don't like about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emilia Clarke? i think we've all seen what she has to offer already.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    should have carried on with bale and a sequel to salvation, i liked it.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Last I had heard about this was their plan to do a new trilogy with a new timeline, and tie a tv series into it. Emilia Clarke's name has been attached to the casting (though I don't know if confirmed). Can't say I can see her as Sarah though, however I only know her currently from one role, would be ... interesting to see her take to the role of Sarah, no doubt with her natural hair too.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    should have carried on with bale and a sequel to salvation, i liked it.
    Would Bale want to do it though?

He didn't half lose his rag last time, remember.