Need advice on fruit and vegetable eating

Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all. Right I know this is bad. I want to change this. I don't eat fruit and the only veg I eat is potatoes. I don't know why but I have tried certain fruit and veg but never liked them. Recently I tried banana and almost vomited. I really want to change this because I want to start eating more healthily but don't know what I can do. Can anyone give any advice? Surely there are some fruit and veg I will like.

Oh I do have fruit juices like pineapple juice and orange juice. As well as having tomato soup but just not the actual fruit/veg which is odd.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a nice salad with your tea, pre packed from a supermarket...

Tesco do some nice fruit pots on the sandwich counter. Strawberries, apple, grapes etc....

Not sure why you would vomit from a banana... Lovely they are... But then again I hate tomatoes but info like cherry tomatoes...
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try a nice salad with your tea, pre packed from a supermarket...

Tesco do some nice fruit pots on the sandwich counter. Strawberries, apple, grapes etc....

Not sure why you would vomit from a banana... Lovely they are... But then again I hate tomatoes but info like cherry tomatoes...

I don't know why I would vomit either. I didn't vomit but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the pieces of banana I had cut up as soon as I put one piece in my mouth I left it there for a few seconds and then began to chew but then went to be sick. I just want to be able to eat fruit and veg. There has to be something I like.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    The only thing you can really do with fruit is to buy a small amount of it and try it, or try cooking it in a crumble or something similar (I don't like cooked fruit myself but plenty do) If you try enough types, you might find something you enjoy (or at least don't hate!)

With veg, in addition to the above experiment, you could try adding small amounts into your meals e.g. put a tomato or two into spag bol, or put some peas/carrots in a casserole. Veg is easier to disguise into main meals than fruit!

Good luck! :)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about buying a smoothie maker and you might enjoy it that way
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're Ron Swanson and I claim my £10!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8u2RNXknbQ
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make something like a spag bol and chop up onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, any veg you want really. Chop them really small (I am lazy and have a gadget when I need to finely chop as my knife skills suck) and pop them in and let it cook away. Once its cooked you will barely know they are there.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small steps at first. To be honest, although I do eat bananas to stop me eating other things, I think they are quite rich and strong and sickly at times.

So try to start with bland things, cucumber, courgette, aubergine. Also try things raw, just a little nibble of maybe cauliflower or carrot raw, then try them cooked.

As others have said, cook things up together and flavour with spices or herbs to get you into the habit of eating them.

Its about habit really, just practice with small amounts.

Do you like cauliflower cheese? Peas? Sweetcorn? People often start off liking the sweet veg first like those above or squashes or sweet potato, then graduate onto more green things.
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batter it then fry it.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    I don't know why I would vomit either. I didn't vomit but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the pieces of banana I had cut up as soon as I put one piece in my mouth I left it there for a few seconds and then began to chew but then went to be sick. I just want to be able to eat fruit and veg. There has to be something I like.
    I can understand that. Banana's aren't my favourite fruit either they can be sickly and the texture is a bit unpleasant. I eat them because they are a good source of potassium. They are a bit more palatable chopped into slices and mixed with something else.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Buy a bag of frozen fruit salad, apple slices, grapes, melon balls and pineapple chunks, and nibble at it all day. It's like eating super healthy sweets.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I'm not much of a fruit fan but I really like dried fruit. Dried mango pieces are probably my favourite. Maybe you could try something like that to start with?

I love vegetables but perhaps like others have said start with things such as peas, sweetcorn, carrots as a side to your main meal before going onto other things.

Do you like houmous? Raw carrot sticks dipped in that is nice if you like it.

Make yourself a nice salad. It doesn't even have to be a lettuce one. Google has hundreds of recipes for pasta salads, cous cous salads etc. Make yourself a dressing and it's not so "boring".
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you grew up in a household where nobody knew how to cook and prepare meals properly.

Another possibility is that you were given vegetables that were under cooked. Some people seem to like them that way but most don't. Try putting broccoli, sprouts and carrots together and cooking them until you can break them up quite easily with a fork. Purists might shake their heads, but it might help to save you from an early grave.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Make something like a spag bol and chop up onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, any veg you want really. Chop them really small (I am lazy and have a gadget when I need to finely chop as my knife skills suck) and pop them in and let it cook away. Once its cooked you will barely know they are there.

Losing most of the goodness in the process:o:confused:
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member

I think Tomatoes are the one thing which is better for you cooked than un-cooked (sure I've seen something about the cooking process releasing something which makes them better...).

And if the OP is eating none at all at the moment, then anything's better than nothing surely?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like sweet things then fruit like grapes, cherries and strawberries would be a good start.
    If you like potatoes there are a lot of soups based around potato that could be a gateway to more veg - leek & potato for example. You can also branch out into veg that is similar like sweet potato then swede/turnip.
    I think if you've never eaten veg/fruit it will take time - theres a lot of foods I didn't like first try, but grew to like - so keep trying!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You can cram a lot of vegetables into a salsa.
    Fruits plenty of good Kentish products out there. Our cherries are lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't eat them like that, but as said better than eating none at all. And as long as they aren't cooked too long you won't be losing too much goodness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the sort of comment that makes people not even want to bother. Fruit and Veg should be consumed as much as possible in as many different guises as possible. Of course theres nothing wrong with the veg in a stew, soup, roast, bolognese etc etc, it all counts as long as its in big enough quantities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat them like that, but as said better than eating none at all. And as long as they aren't cooked too long you won't be losing too much goodness.

A proper pasta ragu should be cooked for ages as with stew too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    A proper pasta ragu should be cooked for ages as with stew too.

I know that. Who says you have to cook something "Properly" if you prefer it another way?
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Man alive!
    I feel bad for younglings like yourself you have no idea about fruit, veg and general dietary health! No wonder colon cancer rates are rocketing in the UK!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that. Who says you have to cook something "Properly" if you prefer it another way?

Fair enough if they dont want to experience the flavours at their best, I just find that when someone gives a recipe for bolgonese and gives a cooking time of about 30mins I know that it wont taste right!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you eat as a rule?
    My sisters kids had a problem eating fruit and veg for years, they got over it so I hope you can too.
    Do you have a phobia about eating certain stuff please may I ask?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Hi all. Right I know this is bad. I want to change this. I don't eat fruit and the only veg I eat is potatoes. I don't know why but I have tried certain fruit and veg but never liked them. Recently I tried banana and almost vomited. I really want to change this because I want to start eating more healthily but don't know what I can do. Can anyone give any advice? Surely there are some fruit and veg I will like.

Oh I do have fruit juices like pineapple juice and orange juice. As well as having tomato soup but just not the actual fruit/veg which is odd.

This is a fantastic time of year to experiment with fruit!

Try the pre-packed fresh-fruit cocktails and slices. That way you know they should be ripe and ready to eat.

Blueberries, raspberriees, strawberries, nectarines, peaches, apricots, greengages and cherries all of my favourites.

As for bananas. I'm required to eat one a day to maintain my potassium.

I don't like bananas, I've never liked bananas and if they have any trace of black to the skin or no longer have a touch of green I really can't face them.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you eat as a rule?
    My sisters kids had a problem eating fruit and veg for years, they got over it so I hope you can too.
    Do you have a phobia about eating certain stuff please may I ask?

I am not sure it is a phobia because I am fine with juices. I am not keen on apple juice but recently I tried a new Tropicana that was blackcurrant and apple which I liked. I don't eat either fruit though. I really like orange juice but don't eat oranges. Although having said that juice is different so possibly it is a phobia? I like pineapple juice but tried pineapple chunks and almost threw up. But I really would like to start eating fruit and veg to become healthier. It is knowing how to go about it that has been the issue.

However I have read the amount of posts since I was last on these forums and I have some ideas I can try now. Thanks all.