Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is. :)

I'm sensing sarcasm.

So if I say:

the additional benefit becomes increasingly marginal.

And that gets interpreted as:

there is zero additional benefit.

You don't think I'm being misquoted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    That part is not a problem, the real problem is that users report the problems after using the phone normally without bending the phone as shown in the videos. Those videos just show that it can be done much easier with iPhones than other phones.

If the claim is that they bend just by putting them in your front pocket, then we need a video of someone putting it in their front pocket, and taking it out hours later, showing it bent.

Not a video of someone forcefully and deliberately bending the phone.

Again, if it turns out they do bend just by being in your front pocket, they'll be getting returned in their millions, it'll be a PR disaster for Apple and we'll hear all about it.

Anyone want to have a wager whether or not that will happen?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't going the way the OP thought.
    I knew the topic would start a wave of cynicism. I just wanted to start it off in a humourous way before it got too ugly.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    It's ridiculous how much coverage this is getting. If you apply enough force to any smartphone you can bend/break it. Shock horror. There is no issue here.
    Good point, sensibly put.
    The iPhone 6/6 Plus are still the best phones money can buy. I hope nobody is dissuaded from buying one because the haters have found an exciting new word to suffix with "gate".
    ... and then you spoiled it.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    That part is not a problem, the real problem is that users report the problems after using the phone normally without bending the phone as shown in the videos. Those videos just show that it can be done much easier with iPhones than other phones.

Well we won't need a video for that to prove it. Because if what you say is genuinely something that will happen through normal everyday use, it won't take long before there are millions of bent iPhones and people complaining of the problem. At the moment we have just a handful and those on MacRumors generally admit they either back pocketed the device, or were bumping and grinding at a wedding party all night.

I'm betting this story will soon fade away and for 99.99% of people it will never be an issue.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment we have just a handful and those on MacRumors generally admit they either back pocketed the device, or were bumping and grinding at a wedding party all night.

:o

They're bumping and grinding wrong.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If the claim is that they bend just by putting them in your front pocket, then we need a video of someone putting it in their front pocket, and taking it out hours later.

Again, if it turns out they do bend just by being in your front pocket, they'll be getting returned in their millions, it'll be a PR disaster for Apple and we'll hear all about it.

That might be quite a boring 5 days long video to watch. These videos show that the 6+ case is easier to damage. Applying a steady but lower force may or may not achieve the same.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is an issue as I remember several ipod touch 5th generation owners (iphone 6 based on this design) reporting that their ipods were bent. However I'm not a man and would never put my phone in my back pocket. I think that it's silly to put a phone on your back pocket and then sit on it and wonder why it's broken. Just like those who put it in a pocket with keys and then complain that the screen got scratched. That's what a handbag is for lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That might be quite a boring 5 days long video to watch. These videos show that the 6+ case is easier to damage. Applying a steady but lower force may or may not achieve the same.

What's that? Deliberately bending a phone might not achieve the same result as just putting it in a front pocket?

Amazing!

But we should still take the former as evidence of the later, yes?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    :o

They're bumping and grinding wrong.

Apple won't have done any tests at all for a "bumping and grinding brigade" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think there is an issue as I remember several ipod touch 5th generation owners (iphone 6 based on this design) reporting that their ipods were bent. However I'm not a man and would never put my phone in my back pocket. I think that it's silly to put a phone on your back pocket and then sit on it and wonder why it's broken. Just like those who put it in a pocket with keys and then complain that the screen got scratched. That's what a handbag is for lol

How very sexist of you Anika :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the claim is that they bend just by putting them in your front pocket, then we need a video of someone putting it in their front pocket, and taking it out hours later, showing it bent.

Or apple will say that you are "pocketing it wrong" and millions of apple fans will change the way they do things to fit in with the apple "way".... Same with antenna-gate. Even apple admitted there was an issue but rather than return their units in horror buyers instead added a case to their "oh-so-pretty" handsets and started holding them differently :p
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    If true, then Apple needs censure. However the report also points out other phones have been prone to this (I wonder why we haven't heard about those)

The iPhone 5 was susceptible too, apparently. Though I've had one that lives in my front pocket and I've not noticed any bend.

Yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Or apple will say that you are "pocketing it wrong" and millions of apple fans will change the way they do things to fit in with the apple "way".... Same with antenna-gate. Even apple admitted there was an issue but rather than return their units in horror buyers instead added a case to their "oh-so-pretty" handsets and started holding them differently :p

True story...

I had an iPhone 4. I didn't use a case. I didn't hold it in any special way. I didn't have a problem making calls with it.

Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe the issue only presented on a small minority of cases.

I guess we'll never know.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Perhaps there never was an issue and it was the press inventing apple 'hysteria' again. I wonder if that rag the Washington Post was around at the time, Woodward and Bernstein antennagate.

I find it hard to beleive that a company this perfect could make any errors, that were not the fault (upon further investigation) of either the users or apple haters. I think this thread should be closed and people buy a simple cord to hang phone around their neck and stop inventing things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True story...

I had an iPhone 4. I didn't use a case. I didn't hold it in any special way. I didn't have a problem making calls with it.

Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe the issue only presented on a small minority of cases.

I guess we'll never know.

True story ....

Apple admitted that there was an issue that caused problems for a percentage of their customers and provided a case as a fix ;)

If jaguar announce a recall for a problem with brakes and I haven't experienced it personally does that mean there is no fault ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True story ....

Apple admitted that there was an issue that caused problems for a percentage of their customers and provided a case as a fix ;)

If jaguar announce a recall for a problem with brakes and I haven't experienced it personally does that mean there is no fault ???

Is there your analogy involves a potentially life threatening issue? Other than melodrama that is?

But no, of course not, but I wouldn't assume that it affected everyone, or that people were keeping their "oh so pretty" Jaguars parked in a garage rather than return them.

The point wasn't that there was no issue, the point was that in all likelihood the majority simply didn't experience the issue, and that was the reason they weren't returning them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Perhaps there never was an issue and it was the press inventing apple 'hysteria' again. I wonder if that rag the Washington Post was around at the time, Woodward and Bernstein antennagate.

I find it hard to beleive that a company this perfect could make any errors, that were not the fault (upon further investigation) of either the users or apple haters. I think this thread should be closed and people buy a simple cord to hang phone around their neck and stop inventing things.

I find it hard to believe that the issue was as serious as some people would like to believe without literally tens of millions of people returning their faulty iPhones.

Its almost as though anecdotal examples blown out of all proportion on the internet are not actually the experiences that most people have.

The other thing I find hard to believe is that people continue to be surprised by that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there your analogy involves a potentially life threatening issue? Other than melodrama that is?

But no, of course not, but I wouldn't assume that it affected everyone, or that people were keeping their "oh so pretty" Jaguars parked in a garage rather than return them.

The point wasn't that there was no issue, the point was that in all likelihood the majority simply didn't experience the issue, and that was the reason they weren't returning them.

But continuing with the analogy ('cos I like it) if the jaguar solution was to give me a Styrofoam cover to put over my pretty car (rather than fix the issue or offer me a replacement) I'd be a jolly cross driver :D
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I find it hard to believe that the issue was as serious as some people would like to believe.

I find that very easy to believe :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that? Deliberately bending a phone might not achieve the same result as just putting it in a front pocket?

Amazing!

But we should still take the former as evidence of the later, yes?

No, it proves it's easier to damage with stronger force than other phones, so it may be more prone to damage with a weaker force over longer time. Such cases are often simulated this way. But I see I can leave another thread safely in your hands, so I stop here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But continuing with the analogy ('cos I like it) if the jaguar solution was to give me a Styrofoam cover to put over my pretty car (rather than fix the issue or offer me a replacement) I'd be a jolly cross driver :D

If your analogy involves comparing something utterly ludicrous (putting a styrofoam cover over your car) with something that a high proportion of people do as a matter of course (putting their phone in a case), then its not a very good analogy. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I find that very easy to believe :)

And I find it very easy to believe you would post something like that whilst ignoring the main point.

Which was that if it actually had been as serious an issue as I'm sure you'd like to believe, then the phones would have been returned in their millions.

As far as I am aware that did not happen, but will certainly stand corrected if it did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it proves it's easier to damage with stronger force than other phones, so it may be more prone to damage with a weaker force over longer time. Such cases are often simulated this way. But I see I can leave another thread safely in your hands, so I stop here.

The BIB being the important bit.

Charm and sarcasm aside, the point is that tests like that are far from being evidence that the phones will bend literally just from being your pocket.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I hope nobody is dissuaded from buying one because the haters have found an exciting new word to suffix with "gate".

Well I certainly am.
    Nothing to do with the haters or any new gate words, but photos and videos tell a story that is quite a concern when your preparing to part with over £600 for a new top of the range gadget.
This discussion has been closed.