Options

People filming you in public.

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
Amazing how many people think "because its legal its okay".
Funnily enough people who use this excuse tend to be the ones that seem to have lots of problems with authority.

I don't like being filmed, or having my picture taken. I find it very intermediating. While I accept that you cant ask for permission from everyone when filming a crowd, most of the time permission should be sought.

I see that it is likely police will be required to film the public when speaking to them. I hope there is an option for them to turn the camera off.

Comments

• Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Funnily enough people who use this excuse tend to be the ones that seem to have lots of problems with authority.

I don't like being filmed, or having my picture taken. I find it very intermediating. While I accept that you cant ask for permission from everyone when filming a crowd, most of the time permission should be sought.

I see that it is likely police will be required to film the public when speaking to them. I hope there is an option for them to turn the camera off.

Don't go out in public then. Problem solved.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't think what option there would be to turn the camera off if filming is a requirement.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At any event, from the Olympics to a village fete, everyone's capturing it on their mobile!
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like being filmed, or having my picture taken. I find it very intermediating. While I accept that you cant ask for permission from everyone when filming a crowd, most of the time permission should be sought

Do you dart from blackspot to blackspot to avoid the near blanket CCTV coverage too?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I just think it's something we are going to have to live with.

I hate having my photo taken or getting videoed even for the family/personal use I have 100's of photos of the family but not one of myself
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have any photos featuring yourself or family on holiday in public places?
    Are there other people in any of them or do you clear the area?
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it's something we are going to have to live with.

I hate having my photo taken or getting videoed even for the family/personal use I have 100's of photos of the family but not one of myself

Is there anything you do like?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

But you are being filmed everyday you leave the house
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Well to be fair we're always being filmed in public by CCTV etc
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not necessarily.

If you were, say, in a shopping centre and you see a cameraman filming, you have to assume that the centre manager has given him permission to film any crowd on the premises of the shopping centre. This means the cameraman doesn't have to ask you for permission as it's already granted.

Likewise with public streets. In this case, you have to assume that the local council has granted the cameraman permission to film on a street where you see him filming. You can always call the council to check. It's likely that they're fine with it (providing that he's not verbally or physically harassing members of the public), even if they didn't grant permission in the first place.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't mind being caught on camera as someone's filming round their town or whatever, but I would mind a lot if they kept their camera pointed at me all the time in a sort of stalking way.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Likewise with public streets. In this case, you have to assume that the local council has granted the cameraman permission to film on a street where you see him filming.
    Do they need to get such permission?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're in a public space you have no expectation of privacy.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    OK, in town centres and almost every shop there is CCTV. Now under the DPA you can send the company that has the CCTV footage a letter (think it's called a subject access request) with £10 in it and ask them for all information they have on you including the CCTV. The company cannot refuse either. If they do they can get absolutely hammered by the ICO. That stands for every company or agency you deal with though. You can contact any of them and ask them to provide you with any details they hold on you. You can even request recordings or transcripts of all calls they hold and everything.

Secondly, I assume you have a computer and/or mobile phone. Everytime you search something on Google or whatever records are made of your IP address, cookies may be looked at to see what you've searched for previously and all manner of things. My phone, laptops, PCs and tablets are all synced up using Google Drive and Chrome. Around 3 or 4pm each afternoon I get a panel pop up with Google working out how long it will take me to drive home, offering me detours if it finds a different route to the usual one I take, and various other things. This means it knows where I am. On Chrome it knows some of my passwords, and all the websites I look at, but for added creepiness it alters my Chrome quickdial page depending on the time of day (so a site I look at during the day will appear, and then of an evening stuff like DS or wowhead appear). It actually scares me how much Google probably know about me.

If I was the OP I'd be scared about how much information about you your technology is handing over. These aren't just some photographs of you, they're your complete demographic profile as well as certain things you may look at as it's to do with your health or something private.

I won't get started on Facebook's attempts at psychological engineering either...
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Don't visit Oxford (or any tourist city) then.

I must be in the background of tens of thousands of holiday snaps and films.

Have you considered speaking to a psychotherapist about your phobia?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I can't think what option there would be to turn the camera off if filming is a requirement.

Just until the suspect falls down the stairs a few times, then they can switch it back on :D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Do they need to get such permission?

Not for the filming, although Esther Rantzen got nicked for "causing an obsruction"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    OK, in town centres and almost every shop there is CCTV. Now under the DPA you can send the company that has the CCTV footage a letter (think it's called a subject access request) with £10 in it and ask them for all information they have on you including the CCTV
    How would they know which part of CCTV footage is of you? Presumably they would not be allowed to send you any footage which included anyone else?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The CPS dropped charges against this guy but he faces losing his job:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11653164.Doctor_secretly_filmed_woman_in_York_city_centre/
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But that's your problem not anyone else's.

So long as it isn't for malign purposes, I have no objection to strangers recording my image in the public arena should they be so inclined.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    So long as it isn't for malign purposes, I have no objection to strangers recording my image in the public arena should they be so inclined.

I agree. If I see them I'm likely to stick my tongue out at them though lol :p.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I agree. If I see them I'm likely to stick my tongue out at them though lol :p.

That would probably qualify as a "quirky image" and ensure widespread distribution.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone's taking a Selfie or filming then photobomb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is intermediating?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I presume they mean "intimidating".