Options

Milk from the Channel Islands

xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody here ever had milk from the Channel Islands? Personally, I have never had any milk from the Channel Islands, but for anybody here who has, does it taste better or worse than mainland UK milk?

Comments

• Options
    mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Has anybody here ever had milk from the Channel Islands? Personally, I have never had any milk from the Channel Islands, but for anybody here who has, does it taste better or worse than mainland UK milk?

I personally think it tastes better if you like to drink it cold. It is very creamy compared to mainland milk. I don't like it in tea.

I now use A2 semi skimmed.

Marina
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mastanlem wrote: »
    I personally think it tastes better if you like to drink it cold. It is very creamy compared to mainland milk. I don't like it in tea.

I now use A2 semi skimmed.

Marina
    Why is it more creamy than mainland milk? What do they do which we don't? :confused:
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh it's lovely on crunchy nut cornflakes!!!! :D : D

think it's due to the grazing in the Channel Islands (warmer so grass is available for longer) jersey milk is the bees knees of creamy milky goodness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    oh it's lovely on crunchy nut cornflakes!!!! :D : D

think it's due to the grazing in the Channel Islands (warmer so grass is available for longer) jersey milk is the bees knees of creamy milky goodness.
    I've heard that in warmer environments, because the grass isn't as green it isn't as good quality.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's due to the breed of cow that the milk comes from. The Jersey and Guernsey breeds produce milk that has a higher fat content than Freesians so that's why it's creamier than standard milk.

I'm now wanting to buy some to have on my cereal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's due to the breed of cow that the milk comes from. The Jersey and Guernsey breeds produce milk that has a higher fat content than Freesians so that's why it's creamier than standard milk.

Ah, I see now, that explains everything, thanks! :)
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member

That's right. Our milkman used to carry suppiles of Guernsey milk in the old days. It was called Gold Top IIRC. Very rich and creamy.

It isn't as common in the UK now as fashion dictates that we should drink very low fat milk which tastes like tap-water. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    That's right. Our milkman used to carry suppiles of Guernsey milk in the old days. It was called Gold Top IIRC. Very rich and creamy.

It isn't as common in the UK now as fashion dictates that we should drink very low fat milk which tastes like tap-water. :)

Yes, it was gold top from the milkman. I bet it's lovely in coffee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »

Otherwise known as semi-skimmed milk. Yuck! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You wants it my precious...

(damn and so do I now!) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My milkman does channel islands milk... and now I've gone and ordered myself a bottle for Monday :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My milkman does channel islands milk... and now I've gone and ordered myself a bottle for Monday :D

I've put it on next week's shopping list :D
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You can buy it in Asda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    You can buy it in Asda.

You can indeed, I got some gold top Jersey milk this morning to have on my cereal and in my coffee for the next few days :D
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will also find that now that Milk is Homogenised, so we don't get that layer of cream settled on the top, that milk tastes less creamy.
    Gold top is usually still left natural.

On the farm Milk from the bulk tank, tastes far creamier than the stuff you buy in the shops after it's been messed about with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    You can buy it in Asda.
    I'll have to pop down to my local Asda sometime this week and see if my local branch sells it. :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otherwise known as semi-skimmed milk. Yuck! :eek:

That is lightly flavoured milk. The 100% water stuff is skimmed milk.

Gold top was common when I was a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I looked for some in my big Tesco earlier today but no luck. They have it on their website but it now says 'out of stock'.

Got some other places to try though.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and mine, I just had a look online, but i will stick with Semi skimmed.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Simmered and then used in coffee it's very nice.

It's too rich to do much else with though, I find, and there's often a disconcerting globule ready and waiting to make you gag so drinking it is rather like playing a particularly creamy game of Russian roulette
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had it with fruit and nut granola for breakfast. It was lovely but it can't become a habit! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had it with fruit and nut granola for breakfast. It was lovely but it can't become a habit! :D
    I would most certainly let it become a habit! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would most certainly let it become a habit! :D

I think I've had it before. We stayed overnight at a gastro pub last month and I had some granola for breakfast but the milk was absolutely wonderful and most definitely not semi skimmed. It also tasted too good to be standard whole milk.

When eating my brekkie this morning it dawned on me that they used gold top for their cereals at that pub and that's why it tasted so lovely. It's just the best thing to have with cereal.

I also had a coffee with some in this afternoon and that was lovely too.

I normally have skimmed Cravendale :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've had it before. We stayed overnight at a gastro pub last month and I had some granola for breakfast but the milk was absolutely wonderful and most definitely not semi skimmed. It also tasted too good to be standard whole milk.

When eating my brekkie this morning it dawned on me that they used gold top for their cereals at that pub and that's why it tasted so lovely. It's just the best thing to have with cereal.

I also had a coffee with some in this afternoon and that was lovely too.

I normally have skimmed Cravendale :eek:
    I bet that must be a dieter's worst ever nightmare! :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I picked up a litre bottle of Jersey milk from Morrisons earlier. I suspect it is from Jersey cows in England somehow.

It is homogenised so no thick layer of cream on the top. Will try it on some cereal tomorrow. :)