50th special may never have been made

allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Interesting interview with moffat in which he says when Eccleston dropped out D Tennant expressed doubts and Matt was out of contract.. who'd be a script writer... ? How do u contend with that at all ?

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    The whole of Doctor Who's production, post 2005, seems to have been a revolving door of crisis after crisis after crisis. How they ever got a single episode made is something of a miracle, never mind whole seasons!

Still, it's worth mentioning that BBC Wales only made two episodes of Doctor Who in 2013 so - contractual issues aside - it was a bit of a holiday for the team compared with the years when they delivered 14 episodes.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    The whole of Doctor Who's production, post 2005, seems to have been a revolving door of crisis after crisis after crisis. How they ever got a single episode made is something of a miracle, never mind whole seasons!

Still, it's worth mentioning that BBC Wales only made two episodes of Doctor Who in 2013 so - contractual issues aside - it was a bit of a holiday for the team compared with the years when they delivered 14 episodes.

All fair points
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironic that some of the same issues applied to the 20th anniversary story! T Baker dropped out, they couldn't decide on a writer ...
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironic that some of the same issues applied to the 20th anniversary story! T Baker dropped out, they couldn't decide on a writer ...

Yep, and I think Uncle Terrance did a few drafts because of availability.

Funny that for a few days when only Jenna was under contract, SM thought of having to do a story with Clara in the major role. That would've gone down well with some FMs!

Don't personally think that was ever going to happen. Whatever David and Matt's reservations, it was all sorted. And I like the fact that they really bonded and when they're in touch, they sign themselves off as '10' and '11'. Nice. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, and I think Uncle Terrance did a few drafts because of availability.

Funny that for a few days when only Jenna was under contract, SM thought of having to do a story with Clara in the major role. That would've gone down well with some FMs!

Don't personally think that was ever going to happen. Whatever David and Matt's reservations, it was all sorted. And I like the fact that they really bonded and when they're in touch, they sign themselves off as '10' and '11'. Nice. :)

Is that true? that's ace :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Is that true? that's ace :-)

Apparently, according to the SM interview. As they'd both done a few years, they were wondering about their respective parts in the 50th and it was a bit 'treading on eggshells' as they didn't really know each other at the time, but they got on absolutely famously, really liked eachother and are good friends.

Which is nice. :)
  • kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    The interview sounds interesting - where is it published?
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    according to the SM interview

I wasn't aware that the private correspondence of David Tennant and Matt Smith had to go through Steven Moffat, a man never known for his rhetoric and sexing-up of Doctor Who. (More Doctor Who than ever before, every Dalek ever, etc)

Trump says that recorded 1991 phone call doesn't sound like him at all, so we'd better all believe him too. It's a beautiful narrative that makes us all feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Whether the Bushes really address each other as "41" and "43" is another matter...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    The interview sounds interesting - where is it published?

The latest DWM.

Mind, it could all be a conspiracy, Moffat is lying for devious reasons that escape me, and they all HATE EACHOTHER really! Grrrr. >:(

Better, IB? :p
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest DWM.

Mind, it could all be a conspiracy, Moffat is lying for devious reasons and they all HATE EACHOTHER really! Grrrr.

There was actually a lot of animosity between Tennant and Moffat while working on the 50th, since Moffat had fired him when taking over because his hair "wasn't floppy enough". Apparently Moffat kept changing his mind on his reasons for replacing Tennant back in 08, including having too much eyebrow, not having enough eyebrow, Tennant's insistence on telling stories in the right order, and Clara.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    There was actually a lot of animosity between Tennant and Moffat while working on the 50th, since Moffat had fired him when taking over because his hair "wasn't floppy enough". Apparently Moffat kept changing his mind on his reasons for replacing Tennant back in 08, including having too much eyebrow, not having enough eyebrow, Tennant's insistence on telling stories in the right order, and Clara.

Git! And he has invented an elaborate fake story about how Series 5 wouldve gone if David had decided to stay...just to cover his arse.

How low will this person GO?!

I have no words. (Except these ones, obviously.) Amazing that David came back really. He must put the fans first over his hatred of Moffat. That's my guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Git! And he has invented an elaborate fake story about how Series 5 wouldve gone if David had decided to stay...just to cover his arse.

How low will this person GO?!

I have no words. (Except these ones, obviously.) Amazing that David came back really. He must put the fans first over his hatred of Moffat. That's my guess.

He was supposed to have a much more prominent role in the 50th, but he wanted to get one up on Moffat, so he buggered off set in the middle of filming and said "I don't wanna go. Beat that line, losers". They had to use a bit of editing and make do with what they had.

There was even an interview where Tennant was saying that Moffat isn't even Scottish, he's just really angry all the time.
    Forum Member

No because you're resorting to a straw man argument. I never suggested they hate each other, any more than Moffat suggested every Dalek ever.

Cue all the usual cliquey, passive-aggressive, diversionary forum waffle posts. You know, the same stuff that spewed out like sick when idiots dared to suggest there'd be another gap year in 2016, etc, etc, etc...

And let's all remember - The show's ratings aren't down at all, not one bit. And it's simultaneously a good thing that they've only dropped 1.5M for the Saturday airing in one year because the show's very old now and getting on a bit, etc. Over half the age of some posters. And the fact that multiple repeats of the Saturday night episode premier throughout the year have all been axed and magazines have been axed along with spin-off TV shows is all.... LA-LA-LA-LA-LA, I can't hear you!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because you're resorting to a straw man argument. I never suggested they hate each other, any more than Moffat suggested every Dalek ever.

Cue all the usual cliquey, passive-aggressive, diversionary forum waffle posts. You know, the same stuff that spewed out like sick when idiots dared to suggest there'd be another gap year in 2016, etc, etc, etc...

You have to first be arguing before it can be classed as a strawman argument. :P
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    You have to first be arguing before it can be classed as a strawman argument. :P

Well that's definitively no-platformed me, then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And let's all remember - The show's ratings aren't down at all, not one bit. And it's simultaneously a good thing that they've only dropped 1.5M for the Saturday airing in one year because the show's very old now and getting on a bit, etc. Over half the age of some posters. And the fact that multiple repeats of the Saturday night episode premier throughout the year have all been axed and magazines have been axed along with spin-off TV shows is all.... LA-LA-LA-LA-LA, I can't hear you!!!!

Shhhh. Moffat's listening.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Literally nothing can be discussed on the DW Forums anymore without it descending into the usual crap. Shame.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Well that's definitively no-platformed me, then.

When did no-platform become a verb?!

I like Moffat's idea that Clara would take the main role but that the Doctor would be played by a heap of other famous types of the moment as she tries to track him down via various stories and bring him back to reality, but he admits it would have been very close to "The Big Bang" in terms of its ideas.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did no-platform become a verb?!

I like Moffat's idea that Clara would take the main role but that the Doctor would be played by a heap of other famous types of the moment as she tries to track him down via various stories and bring him back to reality, but he admits it would have been very close to "The Big Bang" in terms of its ideas.

But Clara was the main role in Doctor Who for at least two years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would never join a clique that would have me as a member.

Your post was dripping in sarcasm so you got sarcasm in response. No "straw men" here. That's not "passive aggressive" Isambard, that's cause and effect. I was posting in response to the OP about how Tennant and Smith got/get on famously. You were suggesting that Moffat made that up in the DWM interview, for some bizarre reason, despite him being friends with them both.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Interesting interview with moffat in which he says when Eccleston dropped out D Tennant expressed doubts and Matt was out of contract.. who'd be a script writer... ? How do u contend with that at all ?

Honestly I wish it hadent. No Peter davison, No Colin Baker, No Paul McGann in the anniversary episode who should have been there. It did piss me off at the time it was all about David Tennant, alough it seemed more to celebrate the New era who than the classics era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I wish it hadent. No Peter davison, No Colin Baker, No Paul McGann in the anniversary episode who should have been there. It did piss me off at the time it was all about David Tennant, alough it seemed more to celebrate the New era who than the classics era.

I do agree pauls minisode could have been the intro.. that would have blown our socks off.. difficult to fit others in i feel
  • FraxisFraxis Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I do agree pauls minisode could have been the intro.. that would have blown our socks off.. difficult to fit others in i feel

Although I didn't dislike The Day Of The Doctor, the old Doctors pretty much owned the anniversary, with the minisode and Davison's fabulous all-star comedy being the highlights for me. And both created and/or heavily backed by the Moff, let's not forget. But do let's forget the Afterparty though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This didn't actually bother me, oddly enough, and I'm a bit of a Classic Who snob who thinks New Who pales in comparison. I kind of liked that it was looking to the future of the show, rather than too much time looking back; like it was saying "It's here 50 years later, and it'll still be here for a long time to come yet."
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fraxis wrote: »
    Although I didn't dislike The Day Of The Doctor, the old Doctors pretty much owned the anniversary, with the minisode and Davison's fabulous all-star comedy being the highlights for me. And both created and/or heavily backed by the Moff, let's not forget. But do let's forget the Afterparty though...

I think The Five(ish) Doctors reboot was adequate compensation for the fact the Classic Doctors weren't in the main event and my personal opinion has always been that it was actually better than Day Of The Doctor!

:D