Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone purchasing this game?
I'm worried that it's going to be a generic pirates game as opposed to anything resembling the creed.

Just seems like the last AC game was like a lesson in Native American history and the Revolutionary War as opposed to the Creed.

Though they added cool new features such as tree climbing and animal hunting, AC3 was missing those landmarks that gave AC2 character and I never got the sense that Connor cared about the Creed itself...

At least Ezio and Altair lived and died by the Creed, and respected everything about it. Connor, for me, was too single minded. Didn't feel like he was a part of something, a team player. I mean, his followers didn't even wear the outfits!

From what I've seen of AC4, the locations, being based in the Caribbean is too..."greeny". It's all leaves and trees and water, and is missing that structured city feel.

I do hope AC4 surprises me and brings it back to the Creed. I don't want to play a cliche pirate game with an "Assassin's Creed" title.

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^6 months dead, nothing wrong with a new thread.

I for one agree, I hope there's much more focus on being an actual Assassin instead of some revolutionary leader of armies. Even the Ezio story lost focus toward the end, the real meat of the game should be stalking and taking out targets without even being noticed, not running through huge battlefields leading war.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really on the fence with this one.
    AC3 left me with a bad taste as it wasnt really and AC game (apart form the stuff with Desmond which in itself was pretty poor story wise and felt like a way for the makers of the game to get rid of Desmond and the entire end of the world storyline!)
    Connor was/is a boring and unrelatable character which I had no interest in replaying nor buying any of the DLC.
    I am not sure on how this game will play as they have changed the concept of going into once characters past to save the future into in this game being a game player for the evil and corrupt Templar company Abstergo.
    Your job will be "as a nameless player" who is somehow delving into another of Desmonds long dead releatives (and Connors Grandfather) who was a pirate and assassin.
    This will proably explain how Connors father is a Templar.

Everything about this game screams that its one final "cash in" with not a lot else on offer.

I would suggest that this is game not to get on release but to either get discounted or trade in.

I admit to sounding negative but I love the AC games but the way the games have been treating fans is not right!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I never understood why people felt AC3 didn't feel like an actual AC game... it certainly did to me, just minus the Renaissance era that got milked so much that it became the identity of the series (three out of the five main games so far were set in that period).

That being said, AC: Black Flag is the game in the series I'm least enthused about so far. I wanted to see pirates, and pirates I've got... but for some reason I'm just really not geared up for this. I mean, I liked AC3 but it could have been so much better (especially the pitiful excuse of an ending!). I didn't rate AC: Revelations very highly before it, and so it has been a while since I was truly impressed with one of these games. I hope that Black Flag is a pleasant surprise and it turns the tide, pun not intended.

Minor aside, it bothers my OCD tendencies that this game has a numeral and a subtitle. It should either be Assassins Creed 4 or preferably just Assassins Creed: Black Flag (as part of the 3 era). It's just made things untidy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understood why people felt AC3 didn't feel like an actual AC game... it certainly did to me, just minus the Renaissance era that got milked so much that it became the identity of the series (three out of the five main games so far were set in that period).

That being said, AC: Black Flag is the game in the series I'm least enthused about so far. I wanted to see pirates, and pirates I've got... but for some reason I'm just really not geared up for this. I mean, I liked AC3 but it could have been so much better (especially the pitiful excuse of an ending!). I didn't rate AC: Revelations very highly before it, and so it has been a while since I was truly impressed with one of these games. I hope that Black Flag is a pleasant surprise and it turns the tide, pun not intended.

Minor aside, it bothers my OCD tendencies that this game has a numeral and a subtitle. It should either be Assassins Creed 4 or preferably just Assassins Creed: Black Flag (as part of the 3 era). It's just made things untidy.

It can be argued that Ubisoft were trying something new with AC3 but to me (in my own opinion) Connors only link to the Assassins was that he wanted to be the opposite of his father and gain revenge for what happened to his mother and tribe.

Yes he was trained to be an Assassin but he never truly valued the goals and ideology of what the Assassins stood for "nothing is true, everything is permitted"

What did Connor accomplish compared to Ezio or Altier?

In my eyes Connor was selfish and only out for hims own revenge and will only be remembered as a footnote in AC history as a means to gain access to the apple for Desmond.

I would have prefered to have continued in the more interesting Haytham Kenway's templar "history" and see things from the other side.

I still maintain that Black Flag is nothing more than filler (albeit very pretty filler) until next years full on next gen AC game. (with accompanying stripped down current gen versions)

Seriously what possible impact/influence could Connors pirate grandad have on the over all AC story keeping in mind how AC3 ended?
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    This will be the first AC game i will not be getting. Really didn't enjoy AC3 and hated the sailing bits so this one is a definate no no for me.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It can be argued that Ubisoft were trying something new with AC3 but to me (in my own opinion) Connors only link to the Assassins was that he wanted to be the opposite of his father and gain revenge for what happened to his mother and tribe.

Yes he was trained to be an Assassin but he never truly valued the goals and ideology of what the Assassins stood for "nothing is true, everything is permitted"

What did Connor accomplish compared to Ezio or Altier?

In my eyes Connor was selfish and only out for hims own revenge and will only be remembered as a footnote in AC history as a means to gain access to the apple for Desmond.

I would have prefered to have continued in the more interesting Haytham Kenway's templar "history" and see things from the other side.

I still maintain that Black Flag is nothing more than filler (albeit very pretty filler) until next years full on next gen AC game. (with accompanying stripped down current gen versions)

Seriously what possible impact/influence could Connors pirate grandad have on the over all AC story keeping in mind how AC3 ended?

I admire their decision to try something new. I was bored of the Renaissance, and Revelations despite moving events from Italy to what would eventually be Turkey just felt stale and tired for the most part.

I would agree that the problem with AC3 was the protagonist. While I think they did well in regards to avoiding both an anti-British and an anti-American agenda in the story, what didn't work was that Connor was just so mind-numbingly dull. His father was a much more interesting character and the game was at its best when it focused on him. But even then, at the time I was waiting for Haytham's early missions to be out the way as it was simply delaying the arrival of a main character that (again, at the time) I thought was going to be quite good. I hope that Edward is a much better leading man in Black Flag.

Black Flag feels quite like Brotherhood to me - an extension of the storyline from the last numbered game, even if this one is a prequel. I really don't know if it deserves to carry that Roman-numeral "4" in its title.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the thing about Assassin's Creed - it's a game where the main characterisation is soooo important that if the Assassin doesn't give a damn about the Creed then it doesn't feel like an AC game.

There was that speech Haytham gave to Conor about how the Templars will defeat the Assassins in the end because all they need is for the world to be as it is, and it felt really unearned. Haytham's speech had to remind me that Conor is, ultimately, part of the Creed and not just some random Native American trying to fight a war all by himself for his own selfish reasons. Haytham was much more dedicated to his cause and the code of his Order than Conor was to his. That's why many people preferred playing him.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Anyone purchasing this game?
    I'm worried that it's going to be a generic pirates game as opposed to anything resembling the creed.

Just seems like the last AC game was like a lesson in Native American history and the Revolutionary War as opposed to the Creed.

Though they added cool new features such as tree climbing and animal hunting, AC3 was missing those landmarks that gave AC2 character and I never got the sense that Connor cared about the Creed itself...

At least Ezio and Altair lived and died by the Creed, and respected everything about it. Connor, for me, was too single minded. Didn't feel like he was a part of something, a team player. I mean, his followers didn't even wear the outfits!

From what I've seen of AC4, the locations, being based in the Caribbean is too..."greeny". It's all leaves and trees and water, and is missing that structured city feel.

I do hope AC4 surprises me and brings it back to the Creed. I don't want to play a cliche pirate game with an "Assassin's Creed" title.

i will be getting my copy from Arrrgos. I hope their isnt a ..Patch to download when i get it home. I was on the fence about it but in reality i think im on the Plank..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing about Assassin's Creed - it's a game where the main characterisation is soooo important that if the Assassin doesn't give a damn about the Creed then it doesn't feel like an AC game.

There was that speech Haytham gave to Conor about how the Templars will defeat the Assassins in the end because all they need is for the world to be as it is, and it felt really unearned. Haytham's speech had to remind me that Conor is, ultimately, part of the Creed and not just some random Native American trying to fight a war all by himself for his own selfish reasons. Haytham was much more dedicated to his cause and the code of his Order than Conor was to his. That's why many people preferred playing him.

I think that this speech was the developers way to justify Conners existance.
    Haythem was always the much more interesting character but when the "final battle" between the two took place, Haytham appears to have lost all his fighting ability/training/cunning and decended into growling and whining about how he was right to be a Templar and Connor was a moron. (he has a point in some regards)
    Huge missed oppertunity to have had that battle take place over the map/city and even a sea battle between the two.

I will continue to refuse to class Connor as an true Assassin, this was nothing more than a revenge mission for Connor to protect his tribe and avenge his mothers death. (Yes Ezio had sort of the same mission in AC2 but he grew out of that role and continued to fight against the Templars even after gaining his "vengence")
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will continue to refuse to class Connor as an true Assassin, this was nothing more than a revenge mission for Connor to protect his tribe and avenge his mothers death. (Yes Ezio had sort of the same mission in AC2 but he grew out of that role and continued to fight against the Templars even after gaining his "vengence")

That's what I love about Ezio's story. When he first becomes an assassin he does it because it provides a way into getting back at all the people who destroyed his family. Then when his uncle tells him they're all assassin's you can see his respect for the Creed developing and his decision not kill Rodrigo Borgias makes sense. By Brotherhood, Ezio is so dedicated to the Creed he recruits his own members. I would have liked to see that realisation for Conor but it never came.

And now they've gone and killed Desmond...
    I remember being quite angry that they killed Lucy and basically retcon her reasons for working with Desmond. Making out that she was secretly a Templar was stupid.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard nothing but good things about the AC series but it's one series I have never tried. Perhaps it's time I did to see what all the fuss is about.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard nothing but good things about the AC series but it's one series I have never tried. Perhaps it's time I did to see what all the fuss is about.

You really should, start out with the very first one and then Brotherhood, great games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I love about Ezio's story. When he first becomes an assassin he does it because it provides a way into getting back at all the people who destroyed his family. Then when his uncle tells him they're all assassin's you can see his respect for the Creed developing and his decision not kill Rodrigo Borgias makes sense. By Brotherhood, Ezio is so dedicated to the Creed he recruits his own members. I would have liked to see that realisation for Conor but it never came.

And now they've gone and killed Desmond...
    I remember being quite angry that they killed Lucy and basically retcon her reasons for working with Desmond. Making out that she was secretly a Templar was stupid.

There were clues that something was wrong with Lucy in AC2/Brotherhood by the way she would disappear and if memory serves me some of her e-mails dropped hints that you could access as well.
    Didnt like that they killed Lucy as she added something of a mentor to Desmond.
    Personally I would have kept her alive and used her as a nemesis to Desmond who he could have fought in AC3 instead of wasting Daniel.
    Lucy was supposed to have been brain washed by the Templars so it could have been something subtle like touching the apple that awakened the "real Lucy" rather than just killing her out of the blue (its not a spoiler, game has been out for years!)

They ruined Desmond by getting rid of him like that, just when he was becoming a much more interesting character (even though there are theories that Desmond lived...arnt there always!) who deserved his own AC game set in the present/future.

So in Black flag the main character is Conners Grandfather and the person taking over Desmonds place in the annimus is you! (big woop!) you will get to explore Absertgo building in between breaks in the main story as you are acting as a game player...playing a game...while actually playing a game.

Sorry but all this is screaming absolute "filler" material that in the end will have no bearing on the future games of AC next gen!

The only thing that is interesting me is that how could Absertgo have access to this memory as it must have come from the Haytham / Connor / Desmond / blood line? did a part of Desmond survive in the Annimus?(again) or is this from a seperate blood line that diverged from Connor? (hard to think that guy got his end away, no offence)
    More importantly why are Absertgo interested in reliving this paticular blood line?

Personally I would have though that following in the footsteps of a new Assassin would be the way to go, possibly someone who would have connections to Desmond (brother/cousin) or some other link/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really should, start out with the very first one and then Brotherhood, great games.

Loved the first one, AC2 is still a favorite.

If you wanted to get to all the good stuff and not miss out on all the story then I suppose AC revelations fills in the story of both AC1 & 2 & Brotherhood (mostly) and brings you up to speed for AC3.(not that you will miss much by skipping AC3)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do.
    Start from the beginning, that's the best way but bear in mind most people think AC1 is poor. It's the AC2 series that is the golden era. ;)
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do.
    Start from the beginning, that's the best way but bear in mind most people think AC1 is poor. It's the AC2 series that is the golden era. ;)

I think the storyline in AC1 and the main character, Altair, are very good. It's the repetitive gameplay that most people got annoyed with.

I also had to replay a large chunk of the game as I missed the 2 missable achievements which annoyed me even more!!
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Release date for 360 & PS3 versions have been brought forward to 29th October
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to buy it, but they've announced Wii U won't be getting DLC, so I'll be holding out until I pick up a PS4.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard nothing but good things about the AC series...

Really? Don't get me wrong, I have all the AC series up to now, the story is compelling but the gameplay is a GRIND! No-one can deny that... sometimes it's a fun grind, other times it's a laborious mess.

AC1 was worse for grinding and the series took a significant leap in gameplay with AC2 and then Brotherhood. The daft thing is that in the 'development' of the title they sometimes axe, or make worse, gameplay devices that were initially pretty darn good.

AC3, though, just bored me. Best bits were the naval stuff, admittedly, but I won't be rushing out to get Black Flag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Really? Don't get me wrong, I have all the AC series up to now, the story is compelling but the gameplay is a GRIND! No-one can deny that... sometimes it's a fun grind, other times it's a laborious mess.

AC1 was worse for grinding and the series took a significant leap in gameplay with AC2 and then Brotherhood. The daft thing is that in the 'development' of the title they sometimes axe, or make worse, gameplay devices that were initially pretty darn good.

AC3, though, just bored me. Best bits were the naval stuff, admittedly, but I won't be rushing out to get Black Flag.

I agree, I think that the way they develop AC which involves seperate dev teams each working on a seperate game so that there would always be a yearly release but that does mean that the little things that are work in one game wont appear in the next one. (the hook blade for instance)

You would think that there should be a certain amount of "touching base" between the teams and a overall creative manager to make sure that there is "one vison" but this clearly isnt the case.

I have a feeling that the sea missions for AC3 were tacked on as an additional feature late in the game development so that it gets players ready for the new/expanded game play mechanic in AC BF rather than dropping it on them out of the blue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Release date for 360 & PS3 versions have been brought forward to 29th October

Fantastic news! I'm pleased. :)
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Only a couple of days away and reports of some people receiving it early. Anyone buying it on Tuesday? I'm interested in hearing people's opinions after a couple of weeks play
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine, Its a pirate game not bad if you want a pirate game, but it's not assasins creed.