World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Let's play commentator bingo for the final.

One pointers (nailed on)

- Wright calling Hoddle 'gaffer'.
    - Chiles stuttering as he hears something in his earpiece
    - Chiles using some sort of slang that Cannavaro hasn't a hope of understanding.

Two pointers:

- "That's better"
    - "Not for me, Clive"
    - "If anything, he's hit that too well"
    - German efficiency
    - Pace and power, pass and move
    - "muuuuurments"

Three points:
    - "Brazilian tears"
    - "If I'm [some player], I'm saying 'go on then, [some other player], see if you can hurt me'"
    - "[some player] shouldn't be offside there, he can see right across the line"

Five points:
    - 'That' night in Munich
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigPat wrote: »
    Let's play commentator bingo for the final.

One pointers (nailed on)

- Wright calling Hoddle 'gaffer'.
    - Chiles stuttering as he hears something in his earpiece
    - Chiles using some sort of slang that Cannavaro hasn't a hope of understanding.

Two pointers:

- "That's better"
    - "Not for me, Clive"
    - "If anything, he's hit that too well"
    - German efficiency
    - Pace and power, pass and move
    - "muuuuurments"

Three points:
    - "Brazilian tears"
    - "If I'm [some player], I'm saying 'go on then, [some other player], see if you can hurt me'"
    - "[some player] shouldn't be offside there, he can see right across the line"

Five points:
    - 'That' night in Munich

For BIB - also see ruthless and clinical used instead of efficiency to mean the same thing.

Also, expect to hear 'at this level' used several times.

And Hansen to use several of the following - "Diabolical, shocking, terrible, atrocious, schoolboy defending,desire,intensity time and time again, (three adjectives following each other which all mean the same thing e.g. he's fast,he's quick,he's got pace)".
    I'm expecting Hansen and Lawrenson to mention Mascherano is ex-Liverpool a lot too.

Shearer to say 'he'll be disappointed with that' or to do 'say what you see analysis'.

On commentary expect to hear '"Anywhere else on the pitch, that's a free kick" if there's a challenge with a penalty not awarded or "I've seen them given" used.

Finally that 'he's hit that too well' cliche really bugs me (and I'm not easily annoyed by cliches).
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Perhaps you need subtitles and big font ones too lol

I'm quite fine, thanks.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,883
    Forum Member
    Maybe its already been said but read in the Mail Seedorff will be in the stadium with Jason Mohamed (spelling)
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    BBC for the match and ITV for the analysis for me I think. I don't fancy the BBC's ’say what you see’ punditry.
    I watched ITV for the Final in 2010. Clive was a good commentator back then, and Craig Burley was on co-commentary duties due to Andy Townsend being ill.

It was Townsend's illness that decided it for me.
    I bet ITV will struggle to break 2m viewers tomorrow.
    Couldn't they go uninterrupted for it, though, and give the BBC some genuine competition?
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Couldn't they go uninterrupted for it, though, and give the BBC some genuine competition?

I am sure they will not cut to ads after the anthems. If they do, they will be lucky to reach 1m.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC for the match and ITV for the analysis for me I think. I don't fancy the BBC's ’say what you see’ punditry.
    I watched ITV for the Final in 2010. Clive was a good commentator back then, and Craig Burley was on co-commentary duties due to Andy Townsend being ill.

It was Townsend's illness that decided it for me.

It was Jim Beglin who was ill in 2010.

I think ITV would rather get 2m viewers and get money from advertisers due to being the only British channel showing the final with adverts, than still probably lose to the BBC just by a narrower margin and not be able to offer anything to advertisers.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »

I think ITV would rather get 2m viewers and get money from advertisers due to being the only British channel showing the final with adverts, than still probably lose to the BBC just by a narrower margin and not be able to offer anything to advertisers.

Well I'm sure the advertisers are savvy enough to negotiate the rates based on viewer numbers rather than a flat fee regardless. I know I would.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

You're quite right. It was indeed JB who was ill. Apologies! :)

I'm sure you're 100% right re ITV and advertising during the WC Final. However, I'm sure they COULD go without it if they wanted to. If the rights aren't paid for via adverts by now, they never will be.
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Maybe its already been said but read in the Mail Seedorff will be in the stadium with Jason Mohamed (spelling)

I hope that's true - would be a pleasant surprise. I'm sure someone on here said it'd be Keown and Juninho at the stadium though.

I do miss Thierry and Seedorf from BBC's coverage - both were so much more interesting, cooler and more knowledgeable than most of the pundits we've had most of the recent World Cup games(Gullit aside).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the advertisers are savvy enough to negotiate the rates based on viewer numbers rather than a flat fee regardless. I know I would.

I'm sure they are. But football appeals to a certain demographic that advertisers are keen to attract and if they want to advertise to them during the World Cup final ITV is their best bet. Hence ITV at least gets something from it. Obviously they're going to have done better from exclusive coverage of England V Uruguay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure you're 100% right re ITV and advertising during the WC Final. However, I'm sure they COULD go without it if they wanted to. If the rights aren't paid for via adverts by now, they never will be.

I'm sure they could - but is it better for them to have 2 million viewers with adverts or maybe 4-5 million viewers without them?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could flush £200 down the toilet if you wanted, but why would you want to?
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they could - but is it better for them to have 2 million viewers with adverts or maybe 4-5 million viewers without them?

How would ITV make any money out of the latter?
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    A bit weird watching the BBC Live stream of the build up of Brazil vs Holland without the 5live audio!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    How would ITV make any money out of the latter?

Isn't that my point?!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Uh oh, sound problems!!!
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh oh, sound problems!!!

sorted now though...
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Really poor from 5live, not a mention of the play-off in their sport news at 8.30pm, ironic thing is straight after the bulletin, they played the station ident , " this is the 2014 world cup station"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh oh, sound problems!!!

One way to quieten Ian Wright!
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill really has a problem with Louis Van Gaal, despite his protestations.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the ITV comms off tube ? Sam Whatshisface just said "Clark Carlisle joins me for the final time in the capital." But the game is in Brasilia
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Was it a penalty?" "Was it a red card?"

Why not offer your opinion Clarke. It's YOUR job.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the ITV comms off tube ? Sam Whatshisface just said "Clark Carlisle joins me for the final time in the capital." But the game is in Brasilia
    Not sure if serious...
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brasilia is the capital city