BBC2 Interviews Before Execution

2»

Comments

• OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would something similar work here? Obviously we don't have executions... But something similar for the convicted criminals to express genuine remorse and reflect on the impact of their crimes on the victims or their families?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Would something similar work here? Obviously we don't have executions... But something similar for the convicted criminals to express genuine remorse and reflect on the impact of their crimes on the victims or their families?

We do, it's called The Jeremy Kyle Show :p

In all seriousness, didn't they try it as a one-off on Panorama or something a few months ago with victims of burglary?
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best quote of the show:

"I still don't see sufficient reason to burn your husband alive." :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was an excellent program. Very informative about the Chinese penal system and social mores. How terrible that people should be executed for anything other than murder. I'll leave any other opinions on the subject for another thread.
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Amazing programme, the presenter certainly gets away with voicing her own opinions direct to the interviewee - the murderer - something that wouldn't happen elsewhere.

It's also a bit rich for some on here to be all arrogant about abolishing the death penalty "decades ago" (compared to the thousands of years it's been in effect before), last year a survey was made and 52% agreed with the death penalty...

And they interviewed quite a few who murdered out of love (i.e. other half having an affair), in a nation where there are 20 million more men than women... whereas here there are more women than men, yet still men do the same and murder their partners...I would rather these people be taken away from this world than continue to live, after having deprived others of that life.

The execution process also is really sexist... men are given the death penalty automatically from killing others, women have more leeway - compensation, pleading, suspension of death penalties etc... Then they also get privately funded hostels for the comdemned to meet their children whilst they are in custody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoshuaRy wrote: »
    I didn't like Ding Yu at first, but throughout the programme my opinion totally changed. She seemed emotionally scarred and clearly affected by some of the cases. I think reflecting on them, she let out her real opinions and feelings - she claimed not to have sympathy for the people she interviewed, but I think, in some cases, she did.

Interesting to note that the programme was axed by the Chinese TV station 4 days ago, without warning.

I thought she was going to be quite hard, but she really seemed to open up and like you say have sympathy for people.

That was a really interesting documentary and I appreciated learning more about the Chinese Penal System.

It was actually quite refreshing to hear one of the High Court Judges voice a dissenting opinion on the death penalty, I was very suprised the she voiced that opinion, but it does look as if there are (admitedly very slow) moves to rethink the death penalty in China.