HD newbie

Hi all,

Been reading the HDTV forum for a couple of days and have a few questions...

When I look at ads for HDTVs, they mainly all say 1366x768 or something similar, now I read somewhere else that in order to be "true HD" and future-proof, both "numbers" had to be higher than 1000 (for 1080i or something).
I doubt this is true and the explanation is probably wrong, but I've seen that there's 720p and 1080i but am kind of unsure what these 1366x768 TVs can display....and what the differences really are...

Also, what's better, an LCD or Plasma?

My main interests for buying one are:
- World Cup & sport in general
- US shows (24 and the like on Sky)
- Other US shows like Lost, that you can "get in HD"

I think I'll go back and hide in the Sky forum as I'm sure you'll agree that I'm :confused: !

gaffer

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I've seen a lot of ads for 'HD ready' TVs, and I feel somewhat skeptical that they really are 'ready for high definition'.

For one thing, there's the resolution of the set. Just because you can put HD signals into it doesn't necessarily mean it can display them at their native resolution.

Secondly, nobody seems to be saying anything about HDCP compliance. HDCP is going to be very important for Sky's HD STB, but how many people are in for a big shock? Oh how I'll laugh.

And.. what format are these HDTV channels going to be delivered in? Will it spell the end of a free ride for those of us who use PCs as PVRs? MPEG2 HDTV is hard enough for even high-spec PCs, let alone MPEG4!
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_gaffer wrote:
    Hi all,

When I look at ads for HDTVs, they mainly all say 1366x768 or something similar, now I read somewhere else that in order to be "true HD" and future-proof, both "numbers" had to be higher than 1000 (for 1080i or something).
    I doubt this is true and the explanation is probably wrong, but I've seen that there's 720p and 1080i but am kind of unsure what these 1366x768 TVs can display....and what the differences really are...

I think I'll go back and hide in the Sky forum as I'm sure you'll agree that I'm :confused: !

gaffer

Basically a 768 line set, which is pretty common will downscale 1080i to fill the screen, and upscale 720p. Chances are that most sport will be broadcast in 720p, other shows could be in either format - in the states it tends to be 1080i, but it looks more likely to be 720P here.

If the screen size is lower than 42" then IMO 768 lines will be plenty, above that then 1080 is worht looking out for. However 720p will look better on a 768 line set than a 1080 line set as there is less upscaling, but you'll see 1080i content to it's true potential.

I'm quite new to this HD business too, so if there are any errors I apologise in advance.

As for LCD Vs Plasma, I'd be tempted to say Plasma, but there are many arguments for both. Just Google it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    juski wrote:
    I've seen a lot of ads for 'HD ready' TVs, and I feel somewhat skeptical that they really are 'ready for high definition'.

For one thing, there's the resolution of the set. Just because you can put HD signals into it doesn't necessarily mean it can display them at their native resolution.

Secondly, nobody seems to be saying anything about HDCP compliance. HDCP is going to be very important for Sky's HD STB, but how many people are in for a big shock? Oh how I'll laugh.

And.. what format are these HDTV channels going to be delivered in? Will it spell the end of a free ride for those of us who use PCs as PVRs? MPEG2 HDTV is hard enough for even high-spec PCs, let alone MPEG4!

A set bearing the EICTA HD Ready Logo must have an HDCP compliant input. All HDMIs are HDCP compliant, some DVI in is too. The odds are in favour of MPEG4 delivery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,

So basically, once Sky has released the details (Jan-Feb '06), and I was to buy ANY 1366x768 (=720p?), it would look BETTER than a 1080i if the screen was smaller than 42''?

gaffer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_gaffer wrote:
    Thanks,

So basically, once Sky has released the details (Jan-Feb '06), and I was to buy ANY 1366x768 (=720p?), it would look BETTER than a 1080i if the screen was smaller than 42''?

gaffer

That's my understanding, yes IF Sky broadcast at 720P - that's what we don't know for sure yet.

768 lines doesn't = 720 lines, however it's pretty close. There aren't many 720 line sets out there.

As I say, I'm a bit new to this too, so please wait for someone 100% sure to confirm :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments anyway. :)

I won't be buying before the details are out...so won't be till next year...

However, I'd appreciate comments from others... ;)

gaffer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are very few 1080 native sets available, and those that are are fiercely expensive, so it's a bit of a moot point for most of us.
  • PowershotPowershot Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    the_gaffer wrote:
    Hi all,

gaffer

You need a display that can with a minimum of 1280x720 resolution to see the 720P the minimum HD resolution.

1366x768 displays will resize up 720P to fit it on the display and resize down 1080i to fit the display. 1080i will look better on such a screen.

Most American shows are shown in 1080i but two of our networks, FOX and ABC show their shows in 720P.

You can't really go wrong with a 1366x768 display whether as LCD or Plasma. The latter is more expensive and are bigger screens for that particular resolution. 50" and up.
    Forum Member
    juski wrote:

The HD Ready label is actually wrong in one aspect because it only says 720 vertical lines are required. Consequently you then see 1024x720 screens with the HD Ready label but yet 720, the smaller HD resolution, is actually 1280x720.

The rest of the specifications for the HD Ready label are correct.

I would look for a TV with at least 1280x720 resolution.
    Forum Member
    Basically a 768 line set, which is pretty common will downscale 1080i to fill the screen, and upscale 720p. Chances are that most sport will be broadcast in 720p, other shows could be in either format - in the states it tends to be 1080i, but it looks more likely to be 720P here.

If the screen size is lower than 42" then IMO 768 lines will be plenty, above that then 1080 is worht looking out for. However 720p will look better on a 768 line set than a 1080 line set as there is less upscaling, but you'll see 1080i content to it's true potential.

I'm quite new to this HD business too, so if there are any errors I apologise in advance.

As for LCD Vs Plasma, I'd be tempted to say Plasma, but there are many arguments for both. Just Google it.

I agree with everthing you wrote except the emphasis you place on screen size.

It doesn't matter the screen size you have to see the difference between 1080 and 720 since viewing distances are always adjusted for different size screens. 1080 compared to 720 is a doubling of resolution and believe me it shows.
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't get why people persist in mentioning screen size! There's a myth that on smaller screens resolution can't be percieved. Sadly my VHS tapes still look like VHS on my 14" TV

1080i is where it's at although apparently it doesn't handle fast moving images well. 1080p is the ideal, a combernation of 1080i's resolution and 720p's ability to handle motion
    Forum Member
    camaj wrote:
    I still don't get why people persist in mentioning screen size! There's a myth that on smaller screens resolution can't be percieved. Sadly my VHS tapes still look like VHS on my 14" TV

1080i is where it's at although apparently it doesn't handle fast moving images well. 1080p is the ideal, a combernation of 1080i's resolution and 720p's ability to handle motion

Exactly, once 1080P is feasible then there wouldn't be a question of taking the progressive approach.

Between 1080i and 720P I always prefer the former.

I also posted on another thread that medium format still film (IMAX size) shows a difference even down to small sized prints compared to 35mm so as long as a display can actually show extremely high resolutions you will see the difference. Where that cutoff point is where the difference isn't noticed is not anywhere near where we are today with HDTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powershot wrote:
    It doesn't matter the screen size you have to see the difference between 1080 and 720 since viewing distances are always adjusted for different size screens.

In New York loft apartments maybe, in real people's homes the TV is in the corner and the sofa is against the wall and neithe is adjustable, so screen size IS a factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camaj wrote:

If I feed my TiVo into a my 36-inch screen the MPEG artifacts are clearly visible if you look for them. If I plug it into my 14-inch portable, A-B switching from 720 x 576 source to 544 x 576 MPEG recording is indistingushable. Size does come into it.
    Forum Member
    sanderton wrote:
    In New York loft apartments maybe, in real people's homes the TV is in the corner and the sofa is against the wall and neithe is adjustable, so screen size IS a factor.

You are misunderstanding my point.

I was saying that viewing distance relative to different size displays was not important in seeing the difference with HD since viewing distance for different size displays is always adjusted accordingly.
    Forum Member
    sanderton wrote:
    If I feed my TiVo into a my 36-inch screen the MPEG artifacts are clearly visible if you look for them. If I plug it into my 14-inch portable, A-B switching from 720 x 576 source to 544 x 576 MPEG recording is indistingushable. Size does come into it.

I think you are also misunderstanding his post.

You are comparing a difference between 720 x 576 source to 544 x 576 with a difference compared to HD, what was being discussed.

HD compared to SD would be visible even with a 14" screen.
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes size does come into it at a point. The more you blow something up the more you'll notice artifacts. I'm talking about going downwards though. People sometimes say "you won't notice the HD difference on screens under xx" " But the quality doesn't decrease as you get smaller!
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_gaffer wrote:

Shows like Lost that you can "get in HD" are labelled HDTV because they are ripped from a HDTV source. They are not true HD. Just look at the file sizes. The file size would be a lot larger for true HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote:
    Shows like Lost that you can "get in HD" are labelled HDTV because they are ripped from a HDTV source. They are not true HD. Just look at the file sizes. The file size would be a lot larger for true HD.

I know, but you CAN get high res ones...

gaffer
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_gaffer wrote:
    I know, but you CAN get high res ones...

gaffer

Cool. I stand corrected. I haven't seen any true HD TV show rips in the usual places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote:
    Cool. I stand corrected. I haven't seen any true HD TV show rips in the usual places.

Usually, it has "HR" in the filename...
    The file is a lot bigger too...

gaffer