best dvd player under £50

Can anyone give me some tips, I have a cheap dvd player in my room and with some dvds it skips etc, and those dvds work fine on my computer and on the dvd player downstairs

WQas looking into the Toshiba SD1010 DVD Player, has anyone got that one?

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'd go for the Toshiba SD3010. It has HDMI output as well as the usual SCART socketry. You might not need HDMI out right now, but it can't hurt to have it. Amazon have the 3010 for £39.

Incidentally, I saw the SD1010 on the shelf at the local ASDA. They were selling it for close to £40!! For similar money the 3010 is far better value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the technika dvd105 is like?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the technika dvd105 is like?

Its a Technika, so its a cheap DVD player for Tesco.

You get what you pay for. I'm guessing its cheaper than the Toshiba, but as the Toshiba is within your budget, it's not even worth considering the cheaper one.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have an amazing little samsung dvd player in the bedrrom, its round...not sure of the model buts its pretty good, seen them in tescos 45-50 ish..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have an amazing little samsung dvd player in the bedrrom, its round...not sure of the model buts its pretty good, seen them in tescos 45-50 ish..
    That'd be the Samsung DVD-H1080. Small, round, slot loading player with HDMI output. Good for tight spaces. The only caveat is the lack of a SCART socket because of the size. It's not the end of the world, especially of you're going to use HDMI, but it does make connection a bit more complicated dealing with S-to-SCART adapters if all you have free is SCART sockets.

Currently £55 at Tesco online
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'd be the Samsung DVD-H1080. Small, round, slot loading player with HDMI output. Good for tight spaces. The only caveat is the lack of a SCART socket because of the size. It's not the end of the world, especially of you're going to use HDMI, but it does make connection a bit more complicated dealing with S-to-SCART adapters if all you have free is SCART sockets.

thats the one, it really is very good, remotes a bit small but the pq is excellent..looks a bit different as well..
    Forum Member
    alves wrote: »
    Its a Technika, so its a cheap DVD player for Tesco.

You get what you pay for. I'm guessing its cheaper than the Toshiba, but as the Toshiba is within your budget, it's not even worth considering the cheaper one.

wasn't going to buy one, my Mum gave me one but it didn't have a control but I got a universal off ebay today. The Dvd player I got at the moment keeps on freezing on dvds including brand new ones
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member

44.44 at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-DVD-H1080-DVD-Player-Black/dp/B001UEJL3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298244307&sr=8-1

Bought one for parent's bedroom and Nan's living room - both players running great. No problems whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellenpagerocks, general advice - avoid supermarket/generic named non-brands. There's no support and the quality is bottom of the heap-cheap-cheap-cheap.

Go for a brand. The price difference isn't that much now anyway, so why not have something decent.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellenpagerocks, general advice - avoid supermarket/generic named non-brands. There's no support and the quality is bottom of the heap-cheap-cheap-cheap.

Go for a brand. The price difference isn't that much now anyway, so why not have something decent.

Alternatively, with such items being sub £20, you buy it and see how long it lasts, which on personal experience can be quite a long time.

If it only lasts 5 years, then your outlay has been much smaller and you'll be replacing it with something better in 5 years time.
    Forum Member
    After considering buying a blu ray I decided dvd alone was better for me so I got a toshiba sd5010 which is a vast improvement on my last dvd player
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i bet anything works fine - just get the cheapest decent make

you can get blu ray for not much more than £50 now, and I bet you will notice the differnce on a DVD with one of those.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bet anything works fine - just get the cheapest decent make

you can get blu ray for not much more than £50 now, and I bet you will notice the differnce on a DVD with one of those.

samsung bdp 1600

£79.99

tj hughes liverpool

bargain

basic machine though
    Forum Member
    Blu Ray player isn't worth getting with the tv I got
  • FloydoidFloydoid Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Like the OP I am also looking for a basic DVD player - the current one has developed the habit of random freezing.

Currently looking at this one: http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/dvp3520_05/prd/ - which you can get for about £40-45.

Thoughts anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floydoid wrote: »
    Like the OP I am also looking for a basic DVD player - the current one has developed the habit of random freezing.

Currently looking at this one: http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/dvp3520_05/prd/ - which you can get for about £40-45.

Thoughts anyone?

DVD players are now commodity items and there really isn't a huge amount to choose between them.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/14419622/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7C14419512%7CDVD%2C+blu+ray+and+video%7C14419615/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419615%7CDVD+players%7C14419622.htm

Argos has the Philips 3580 for £35 but only worth it if you're looking to connect it using HDMI. If you're planning to use SCART then I'd either save myself a few pounds and get either the Toshiba 1010 for £31 or even buy a £20 budget unit.
    Forum Member
    My current player is a Philips one and it's served me well. My primary concern is getting another DVD that can be made region free (as I have a few R1 & R4 discs) and I know for sure that the 3580 can be easily hacked.

On a side note I've been a lover of the Philips brand since I bought my first cassette player way back in the early 70's!
    Forum Member
    AlanO wrote: »
    Argos has the Philips 3580 for £35 but only worth it if you're looking to connect it using HDMI. If you're planning to use SCART then I'd either save myself a few pounds and get either the Toshiba 1010 for £31 or even buy a £20 budget unit.

Well I don't really need HDMI capability, so presumably This One would be just about as good?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floydoid wrote: »
    Well I don't really need HDMI capability, so presumably This One would be just about as good?

Should be fine - but if I were choosing between Philips and Toshiba, I'd go for Toshiba every time. Had a couple of bad experiences with Philips kit - which judging by other threads round here, isn't uncommon.
    Forum Member
    I'll certainly take a look at the Toshiba 1010.