Options

James Corden episode

Comments

• Options
    SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well all of them really. The only people I've enjoyed watching in addition to Matt Smith are Alex Kingston as River Song and Toby Jones as the Dream Lord and he wasn't exactly a helper.

Although Rory was a good guy I felt indifferent to him and can't get excited about Amy either.

The cast seems to have shrunk considerably in this series.

I have to say I largely agree. So far I've found the Amy Pond character to be poutish, petulant, screetchy and irritating. There's no doubt that Karen Gillan is very attractive, but the character she's playing hasn't made me feel any empathy with her.

Toby Jones was fascinating as the Dream Lord.

I liked Rory but didn't feel any great sorrow for his (second) death scene.

I thought Bill Nighy was excellent in tonight's episode, he was criminally under-used.

As for James Cordon, I don't understand why so many people dislike him, and yet I've never warmed to him myself. What is it about him?
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Slane wrote: »
    I have to say I largely agree. So far I've found the Amy Pond character to be poutish, petulant, screetchy and irritating. There's no doubt that Karen Gillan is very attractive, but the character she's playing hasn't made me feel any empathy with her.

Toby Jones was fascinating as the Dream Lord.

I liked Rory but didn't feel any great sorrow for his (second) death scene.

I thought Bill Nighy was excellent in tonight's episode, he was criminally under-used.

As for James Cordon, I don't understand why so many people dislike him, and yet I've never warmed to him myself. What is it about him?

In my opinion, this is quite the contrary. It was the briefness and sincerity of his performance that made it stand out so well. I was very impressed. Haven't been impressed with Doctor Who this much since The Stolen Earth, not that I haven't loved a number of episodes this year. The Angels 2-parter, Vampires of Venice and Amy's Choice were all brill.
  • Options
    bunnydsbunnyds Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this series has been short on gory, tortured death scenes can someone please tell me that they have saved it all up for Corden's character?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunnyds wrote: »
    gory, tortured death scenes

I thought this was a family show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should make an exception and air his episode after midnight. What a complete idiot.

I saw that terrible football show promo yesterday and the anger began to build inside me very quickly, I had to let it out.

I am dreading the episode. Only have to see his face and I begin to heat up.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Corden in his comedy Gavin and Stacey....but I think that he is still very talented, History Boys spring to mind....

I think he's got a big ego, but I thought he was brilliant in Fat Friends. I remember when Ricky Whittle (ex of Hollyoaks 'fame') slagged him off and I thought exactly how many productions that you have been involved in, that won a Tony award?
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I liked him in fat friends.

I can't stand him now
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the little hook in the trailer that takes people's fears of doorstep conmen and flips them in completely the opposite direction!

I'm not really a big fan of Corden (never watched Gavin & Stacey), but this episode looks rather good IMHO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people need to seperate JC the actor from JC the person. :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think we're in for a period similar to David Tennant at Xmas, where James Corden is going to be absolutely everywhere on the telly over the next few weeks? I mean, he's in Doctor Who, got a World Cup Show, World Cup Song, he'll be doing a Beeb trailer next.........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Thank god for that! what a rubbish title "don't go up the stairs" would have been.

Sounds like a title of an old music hall number or something!

#'Ave a banana!# :D
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people need to seperate JC the actor from JC the person. :)

I agree, if he is good in the episode thats all that actually matters, and the guy is actually a decent actor in my view (saw him in History Boys and he was very impressive). That said, wasn't keen on the next time trailer, it gave off a Fear her sort of vibe and i really did not like Fear Her. But we shall see, wouldn't be the first time I've loved an episode for which I wasn't keen on the trailer.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it this is going to be the Doctor Lite episode this year. Will Amy appear in it?

As long as it is more in the line of Blink rather than Love & Monsters I will be content.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I'll be interested to see if all those who complain about series 5 and use the 'bring back RTD' argument. think of this episode. Looks like it might be more 'soapy'. ;):D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I agree, if he is good in the episode thats all that actually matters, and the guy is actually a decent actor in my view (saw him in History Boys and he was very impressive). That said, wasn't keen on the next time trailer, it gave off a Fear her sort of vibe and i really did not like Fear Her. But we shall see, wouldn't be the first time I've loved an episode for which I wasn't keen on the trailer.
    Listentome wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see if all those who complain about series 5 and use the 'bring back RTD' argument. think of this episode. Looks like it might be more 'soapy'. ;):D

RTD has nothing to do with why I'm having probs with this series(which has been improving in recent weeks) As the other post has said, I watched that trailer last night without much of The Doctor in it and I thought 'Doctor-lite' and 'Love and Monsters' immediately. It really does come across as that sort of episode and if it does, I'll be even more annoyed about it than of the other episodes so far!!!

Saying that, you can't prejudge an episode too much until you watch it so it could be what I've said above is not the case. :)
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no need for Doctor/Amy lite episode as there's no christmas episode being filmed in the series 5 filming block...

hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »
    There's no need for Doctor/Amy lite episode as there's no christmas episode being filmed in the series 5 filming block...

hmm...

?

It was the same situation with series 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ?

It was the same situation with series 1.

And there was no doc/Rose lite episode there. But by all accounts people are thinking this is Doc lite... So why the need...?

hmmm.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »
    And there was no doc/Rose lite episode there. But by all accounts people are thinking this is Doc lite... So why the need...?

hmmm.....

I don't necessarily think this will be Doctor-lite seeing he is the lodger. I just misunderstood what your hmmm..... referred to. :)
  • Options
    capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never watched Gavin and Stacey beyond more than an episode or two because it wasnt something I enjoyed, I find James Cordens ubiquity quite mystifying at times and I have seen the clip of him performing with Dizzee on BGT and did groan a bit but, and its a big but, I still have no fear about this episode bases purely on his appearing in it.

If anything I agree with Muttley in that it seems it might be a little slight and does have something of the 'Fear Hers' about it but we shall see.

As far as James Corden is concerned, he is a proven actor of quality. His 'persona' in the press and in general mean nothing to me. Can he act? Yes. Can he carry a scene convincingly? Yes. So why everyone is over reacting as if his appearing is akin to Bonnie Langford is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't necessarily think this will be Doctor-lite seeing he is the lodger. I just misunderstood what your hmmm..... referred to. :)

I don't think it'll be lite wither... just seeeing a lot of people thinking it is...

P.s. the hmmm was thoughtful

I have a whole hmm system that has different meanings for different amounts of m. Pretty useless though when you're speaking to people who don;t know your odd system! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    He is an okay actor. He's a cr&p "comedian". When he's being "himself" I find him embarrassingly hammy, arrogant and annoying.

I'll suffer through the episode, because as I've said as a straight actor he's okay and I'm not missing an episode because I don't like the bloke.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never watched Gavin and Stacey beyond more than an episode or two because it wasnt something I enjoyed, I find James Cordens ubiquity quite mystifying at times and I have seen the clip of him performing with Dizzee on BGT and did groan a bit but, and its a big but, I still have no fear about this episode bases purely on his appearing in it.

If anything I agree with Muttley in that it seems it might be a little slight and does have something of the 'Fear Hers' about it but we shall see.

As far as James Corden is concerned, he is a proven actor of quality. His 'persona' in the press and in general mean nothing to me. Can he act? Yes. Can he carry a scene convincingly? Yes. So why everyone is over reacting as if his appearing is akin to Bonnie Langford is beyond me.

Personally I'd rather see Bonnie Langford than JC given the choice.

Maybe it's because he comes across as a person who thinks he's highly amusing when he isn't. I haven't seen him act apart from one episode of Gavin and Stacey which left me underwhelmed. His sense of humour makes me feel twitchy - It takes a certain likeability to insult people and make people laugh and he doesn't have it. His monologue at the Sports person of the year awards was painful to watch. It was also painful to watch him on Big Brother's Celebrity hijack - more cringeworthy moments. As for BBBM - I just didn't bother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Please Dear God let it be Jigsaw that is in the upstairs flat and the Fat, Unfunny One...sorry...Corden...goes up to investigate a strange noise within the first 5 minutes of the episode and gets trapped in one of his "games" which involves a hideously gruesome, tortuous, prolonged (but not too prolonged) death scene...

I can only hope that its (relatively) quick, but no less merciless and then we can get on with the rest of the episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    duryea wrote: »
    I'll suffer through the episode, because as I've said as a straight actor he's okay and I'm not missing an episode because I don't like the bloke.

It was that kinda attitude that made me watch Love and Monsters.