Was Raiders of the lost ark the first indiana jones movie

2»

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL! perhaps you missed the bit where Mola Ram plucks the still beating heart out of a man's chest and he carries on living !

He didn't "carry on living", he just didn't immediately die, which isn't as crazy as you might believe.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    It may well be. Legend has it Spielberg once said to George Lucas that he'd love to do a James Bond film. Lucas replied that he had a better idea. This gave birth to Raiders, which does roughly follow the Bond template of globe-trotting action/adventure with a dashing hero and a dash of humour.

Didn't they try to rebrand it as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, btw?
    The 1999 VHS reissue (THX Widescreen) was retitled Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark to correlate with the following movies in the franchise (marketing). The title was unchanged for the 2003 DVD release.

The original release on VHS, Betamax and Laserdisc it was simply known as Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It does actually say at the start of the movies what year they're set in.

For some reason I usually miss the start of most films. Even at the cinema, we leave it to the last minute to go in, can't bear the 30 mins of adverts! :mad:
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    For some reason I usually miss the start of most films. Even at the cinema, we leave it to the last minute to go in, can't bear the 30 mins of adverts! :mad:

There's nothing more annoying in some films where at the beginning it gives some crucial information to set up the story and some bafoon comes into the cinema late and annoys everyone else while they try to get to their seats in the dark.:mad:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He didn't "carry on living", he just didn't immediately die, which isn't as crazy as you might believe.

:D:D what the ... ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D what the ... ?

You dont think the guy would have carried on living for much longer fo you? lol. He seemed conscious enough for the few seconds after his heart was ripped out to when he was thrown into the fire, but as with many Indiana Jones scenes, they used a fair amount of creative licence.

But playing devil's advocate, let's say Indy was a sceptic as sugested in Raiders, I would sugest that someone like Indy who was familiar with rituals, superstitions and the power of sugestion would have, on reflection, dismissed what he saw as tricks and optical illusions. Certainly nothing that was substantial enough to make him a believer (from his pov).
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »
    i remember seeing a making-of documentary when Doom came out with Harrison Ford saying he got 3 years older and the character got 2 years younger.

so here's a head scratcher for you. Just before the rope bridge bit in Doom, Indiana is confronted by two swordsmen. They swing their swords and Indiana just smirks and reaches for his gun (which isn't there). This is a reference to the shooting-the-swordsman bit in Raiders. But how can he remember something that hasn't happened to him yet?:confused:

That little reference along with the musical motif from Raiders was merely for the audience, and shouldn't really be analysed as being non-chronological.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    What a :confused: comment, had it ever crossed you mind that some people may not be fan boys of the movie and not remember every single word that was said. Some of us saw these movies origionally decades ago and have had a life since.

I too have had a life since. :) I wasn't trying to offend you. But even if you are not a big fan of the films, I find it hard to believe that with access to the internet you didn't know it was the first in the series. Surely if you are curious to start a thread, you are curious enough to check somewhere like imdb?:)

Anyway, I found your question confusing. It is a standard in pretty much all fiction (flim,TV, books) that when the story starts the characters have had a life prior to it, and connections with other characters. So I wonder why you find it unusual in Raiders?

best
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont think the guy would have carried on living for much longer fo you? lol. He seemed conscious enough for the few seconds after his heart was ripped out to when he was thrown into the fire, but as with many Indiana Jones scenes, they used a fair amount of creative licence.

I'm pretty sure there was no hole in the guys chest. Mola Ram just held his had over his heart and said some magic - then suddenly he had a beating heart in his hand. The heart also caught fire as the man's body was lowered into the lava.

On top of that, Indy defeated Mola Ram (when he was attempting his heart stealing trick on Indy) by saying some magic words and making the stones glow and burn through the bag. Not only did Indy witness magic, but he made us of it himself to win the day.
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there was no hole in the guys chest. Mola Ram just held his had over his heart and said some magic - then suddenly he had a beating heart in his hand. The heart also caught fire as the man's body was lowered into the lava.
    When he pulls the heart out there is a hole which you see seal itself up.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »

Missed the hole in his chest. But then, a self-sealing hole the size of a fist would also probably fit the bill as "supernatural," too. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On top of that, Indy defeated Mola Ram (when he was attempting his heart stealing trick on Indy) by saying some magic words and making the stones glow and burn through the bag. Not only did Indy witness magic, but he made us of it himself to win the day.
    Missed the hole in his chest. But then, a self-sealing hole the size of a fist would also probably fit the bill as "supernatural," too. :p

(Still in devil's advocate mode....)

We the audience had a front row seat of what was happening but Indy and co were a fair distance away right at the back trying not be seen, so maybe he didn't see exactly what happened.

I can see a sceptic explaining away the stones burning due to materials inside overheating - though don't how they would explain how speaking some words would trigger the overheating.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the heart scene... This was censored in the UK. The uncut version seen elsewhere (and seen in the UK for the first time on the new BD) showed a lot more...

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4643
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I too have had a life since. :) I wasn't trying to offend you. But even if you are not a big fan of the films, I find it hard to believe that with access to the internet you didn't know it was the first in the series. Surely if you are curious to start a thread, you are curious enough to check somewhere like imdb?:)

Anyway, I found your question confusing. It is a standard in pretty much all fiction (flim,TV, books) that when the story starts the characters have had a life prior to it, and connections with other characters. So I wonder why you find it unusual in Raiders?
    best

No its not standard at all, not many films start in the way this one did where it indicated strongly there was something before it and even the trailer said something along the line of "they are back", it was the trailer as well as the first 15 minutes or so the film that made me wonder if somethig had come before it. The start of the movie was anything but normal for a first movie in a multi film run.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing at the start of Raiders that indicates there was something before. It's just a "start of a film".

Weird!
    Forum Member
    No its not standard at all, not many films start in the way this one did where it indicated strongly there was something before it and even the trailer said something along the line of "they are back", it was the trailer as well as the first 15 minutes or so the film that made me wonder if somethig had come before it. The start of the movie was anything but normal for a first movie in a multi film run.

I think your getting confused as the trailer your referring to is the re-issue trailer which is basically saying "It's Back To See Again".
    Here's the re-issue poster
    Forum Member

Most, if not all films, start with the assumption the characters have had some sort of life before. I watched the start of Raiders again last night, and to me there is nothing more to it than that. But I guess we all watch things in different ways, and interpret them differently.
    MissDexter wrote: »
    There's nothing at the start of Raiders that indicates there was something before. It's just a "start of a film".

Weird!

Agreed
    I think your getting confused as the trailer your referring to is the re-issue trailer which is basically saying "It's Back To See Again".
    Here's the re-issue poster

I'd like to see the original trailer when the film was first released that says "They're Back".

OP, if you can remember the trailer from way back then, you have a better knowledge of the film than me. So again I am surprised by your original post. ;)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it's just the same technique most Bond movies use (from Goldfinger on ) where the hero is already nearing the climax of the 'last story' .

I think there was a trailer that said something like "Adventure is back" , but that was a way to indicate that they were reviving a genre .

actually I think this is the trailer you're thinking of , only I can't tell when it was made , it was probably done for a re-issue .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxi7sDYmyiU
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's just the same technique most Bond movies use (from Goldfinger on ) where the hero is already nearing the climax of the 'last story' .

I think there was a trailer that said something like "Adventure is back" , but that was a way to indicate that they were reviving a genre .

actually I think this is the trailer you're thinking of , only I can't tell when it was made , it was probably done for a re-issue .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxi7sDYmyiU

Yep thats the one, its one of the trailer on the blu ray set and with lines like

"Indiana Jones is back"

And

"And some of them are enemies and some are hero's but all are returning".

Give the impression that something came before, yes fan boys might know the facts but the average person who has never seen IJ, or like me saw them decades ago its a bit hard to remember.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep thats the one, its one of the trailer on the blu ray set and with lines like

"Indiana Jones is back"

And

Give the impression that something came before, yes fan boys might know the facts but the average person who has never seen IJ, or like me saw them decades ago its a bit hard to remember.

But you would expect some with the Blu-ray set to know it contains 4 films and Raiders is the first one.
    How desperate for attention can you be?
    Forum Member

"Indiana Jones is back"

And

Oh dear, now I really do know your talking a load of old codswallop :rolleyes:
    Blu Ray you say :rolleyes:
    Surely you don't need to be a fan boy to see this and know what it means? :p
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/45CCE559-F09A-45EF-8C23-1F2086539397-1186-00000081E95F24A2.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, busted big time. No wonder she's not replied, she's probably hoping the thread quitely slips away.
    Forum Member
    Lol, busted big time. No wonder she's not replied, she's probably hoping the thread quitely slips away.

And there was me beginning to feel guilty for suspecting the OP earlier. :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand how anyone with the slightest interest in film doesn't know that Raiders was the first film. Even my Mum, certainly not a fanboy at the age of 70, knows.
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand how anyone with the slightest interest in film doesn't know that Raiders was the first film. Even my Mum, certainly not a fanboy at the age of 70, knows.

I think if you look at the last few posts its clear this thread is a wind up. The OP even states they have the blu-ray box set.

But you are right. I reckon if you ask a lot of people on the street what the first Indiana Jones film is they would answer Raiders.

This whole only a fanboy would know thing is nonsense. The films have been shown on TV loads of times, and almost yearly all 3 have been shown in order on BBC1 in a prime-time slot. Also, the dvd boxset has been out for years not to mention videos.

Now had it been a thread asking "Did any films come before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope?" that would be trickier to answer! :D;)