Options

Big Finish- New series license?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what if all the remaining classic series Doctors died on the same day?

Oh Dalekbuster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Technically it is. Captain Jack Harkness started out in Doctor Who, and Martha Jones who was in Doctor Who in 2007, featured in Torchwood's second series.

Plus, the Cardiff branch of Torchwood was featured in the DW two part story The Stolen Earth/Journey's End.

:)

It crossed over into Doctor Who (and briefly vice versa), but Torchwood The TV Show / Franchise its own beast and, for the most part, has been since day one.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Given there are six plays with each supposedly focusing on a different member of the Torchwood team it would suggest that either it's set post MD and they've recruited 2 or 3 new members or it's set back around Series 1 or 2 and it's the old team (with the 6th play not focused on any one individual).

Actually, it's set pre-series one and excluding Jack, pre Susie, Tosh and Owen. Which makes sense if they're launching a new franchise. Oddly Big Finish's Facebook page gave more details then the promo page on their website.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Nowhere does it say that.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-conspiracy-1294

Nowhere in the cast list is there any suggestion anyone from the original show but Barrowman is involved. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but bits and pieces from other fans and press releases suggest this is the direction they're headed in. I think the prequel information came from the podcast Nicholas Briggs did, which can also be found at Big Finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    The first releases each focus on a particular main cast member. Seems to be an extended pilot before they try stories with the full cast. There's no reason why the upcoming Captain Jack one couldn't be a prequel but they've not said it is anywhere yet.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nowhere in the cast list is there any suggestion anyone from the original show but Barrowman is involved.

From the Press release
    Additional cast members for the series will be revealed later.

So the few people listed on the actual audio play page are not the whole cast (certainly not for the whole series).

And has been said each play focuses on a different Torchwood member so it may be that Jack is the only Torchwood agent in the first play.

Plus making it a prequel set a few years before the TV series with new Agents means we know every agent apart from Jack will be dying sooner rather than later to make room for the TV series agents as it would have to take place between 2000 and 2003.

If they wanted to introduce a whole new team of agents it would make more sense IMO to set it after MD.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I don't think they have much choice but to make it work. The older Doctors aren't getting any younger and if Big Finish is to continue for years to come then they need to be able to continue around the deaths of the actors. The only way they can do that is by getting the new series license and in doing so having the use of the new series Doctors. Otherwise the entire range will consist of Companion Chronicles.

Having said that, let's not forget they're able to use Kate Stewart; arguably the biggest hint that they have the new series license.

There are people called voice actors. They can become other people - in voice at the very least - and have been used on many a recording before. It can be easily dealt with before any need of a new series licence comes up.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    There are people called voice actors. They can become other people - in voice at the very least - and have been used on many a recording before. It can be easily dealt with before any need of a new series licence comes up.

The classic series Doctors (bar Tom Baker) are irreplacable.

I said 'bar Tom Baker' because Jon Culshaw would do a fantastic job of replacing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I said 'bar Tom Baker' because Jon Culshaw would do a fantastic job of replacing him.

You're not a fan of the chap playing the Third Doctor in the new audios then, I take it?

Also, you can't say they're "irreplacable" and then undermine your point by saying "except this one cos he'd be fantastic." With that logic, they're all replaceable if they find fantastic voice actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet Doctor's 1 - 3 have already been voiced by others on Big Finish plays so you can hardly say they are irreplacable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yet Doctor's 1 - 3 have already been voiced by others on Big Finish plays so you can hardly say they are irreplacable.

I didn't think they had yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think they had yet.

Then do your research first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then do your research first.

The last I read was in a recent issue of DWM that they were considering it. Not that they had already released the plays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last I read was in a recent issue of DWM that they were considering it. Not that they had already released the plays.

Do you even listen to BF?

(Also, you must really hate The Five Doctors and a bit of Day of the Doctor.)
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

I already said they had been used on many a recording before. I gave you the clue that it had happened in my initial response! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you even listen to BF?

(Also, you must really hate The Five Doctors and a bit of Day of the Doctor.)

I like The Five Doctors. Richard Hurdnall does a good job. Overall, I do feel it would work better if it was a actor playing the actor who played that incarnation playing his Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nowhere in the cast list is there any suggestion anyone from the original show but Barrowman is involved. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but bits and pieces from other fans and press releases suggest this is the direction they're headed in. I think the prequel information came from the podcast Nicholas Briggs did, which can also be found at Big Finish.

Ianto is the main character in the next release.