the nglayout setting will actually slow down page rendering
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie
    resetting the max connections wont work
    they are locked at the default anyway
    the nglayout setting will actually slow down page rendering

I'm just pasting what I found on the net radioanorak ,tho I have done them all and it does seem faster,praps others can test em and comment.....:)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is, a lot of the websites out there aren't compatible with the pipelining feature. Pipelining's great for speed, but unfortunately a lot of websites are behind the times where this feature's concerned.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    No need to speed up anything here. I have 23.1 and it's plenty fast enough, web pages are virtually instant.
    It's strange how different people get different results, this would indicate to me that it may be something else slowing it down and not just the browsers fault.
    then again I don't mess about with many of the inner magic happenings of the PC. Only fiddling if something goes wrong.;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My AVG seems to really struggle when using Firefox, but scans lightly when using Chrome. I can't understand that. Firefox crashed yesterday when AVG was scanning the webpage, but not with Chrome though. Such a shame because I think Firefox is much more secure password wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,I try all the browsers but still come back to Firefox,even had a play with the latest IE yesterday but back to Firefox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless AVG's not that compatible with Firefox perhaps. One of YouTube's videos froze for roughly half a minute with this release of Firefox. Can't understand it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Unless AVG's not that compatible with Firefox perhaps. One of YouTube's videos froze for roughly half a minute with this release of Firefox. Can't understand it.
    Yes my videos,fb and YouTube don't play that well,even set my display settings to a lesser value which I think made a slight difference.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Is that after the computer/laptop being switched off or coming out of sleep?

That's during normal use, when re-starting FF (after previous FF use and closing). When first opening FF 23 (Windows 8, 4 core desktop) after a full shutdown, power-off and restart, it takes 4 or 5 seconds from first click to displaying my home page (BBC News). Chrome and IE take 6 to 7 seconds.

None of these times are an issue after you've waited a couple of minutes for W8 fully to start up, complete with all its baggage (and Metro crusher)! But IF I start any of the browsers while W8 is still firing up its other baggage, it can take much longer - as does any other program in that situation (and I do tend to do that, impatient as I am :cool: ).
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have noticed since 23 (and 23.0.1) is that clicking "display downloads progress" arrow no longer works.

The downloads window doesn't appear in Task Manager.

If you close Firefox though the downloads window then appears, and is then visible in Task Manager.

Strange!

<edit> It was the Download Manager Add-on that was causing the problem. It looks like it doesn't work with FF23.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    Some tips to speed up Firefox...

It seems likely that the FF devs would build in the options to make it fast and then disable then for the hell of it.

I think it's fair to assume that they believe the default options are the fastest.
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    I've had the search bar removed for a long time and use keyword searches in the address bar to cater for different search engines, Wiki, and other things (many I've added). For instance, if I wanted to search Wiki for Debian, I'll just type "w debian" into the address bar (no quotes). For Google Images, I'd use "gi" as the search keyword. You can make many of these things and it's very flexible. More details here about keyword searches. You can also right-click a search field on a website and select "Add keyword for this search", then choose a letter or combination of letters for that search.

what i miss the most is not just the location of the search. it's that previously if i typed 'twitter' say, it would just go to twitter.

seemed like if the confidence level was high enough it would i'm feeling lucky it.

i have managed to add a custom search for google's i'm feeling lucky. which works but it's still not how i want it.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    So what Mac browser isn't a RAM hog then?

I didn't realise you were a Mac user my apologies, however my point still stands. I could only assume Safari is the better browser on Mac given how well Apple writes software for their home system and how poorly for Windows.

I have to stress though Chrome uses more RAM than Firefox it does it in such a way that each individual Tab and plugin/extension is sandboxed. So if there is a rogue plugin for example that is unstable it won't bring down the browser. Oddly though I do find on lower resourced systems Chrome though using more grunt actually runs better. So make of that what you will.
    Forum Member
    When I've looked I've observed that they use about the same amount of RAM as each other. (Possibly Opera pre-15+ has been the most memory efficient - I'm not sure - I do have it but use it rarely).

There seems to be a certain amount of confusion on this topic though. There are two issues.

1. High memory use.
    2. Poor memory use, e.g., leaks, failure to release memory in a timely fashion or at all.

As far as Firefox is concerned it is designed to use more memory if it can to avoid having to use virtual memory. It does this for performance reasons. So memory use can by design be quite high depending on your system. This is not a problem unless it impacts other programs.

Then there is the separate issue of 2, which Firefox has traditionally suffered from, but I've noticed that it's been much better in this area from at least about v8/9 or even earlier.
    I've noticed when it uses over 1GB it impacts on it's own performance.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Have come across an issue with v23. I'm a member of a website which uses flash in the chat rooms. The screen shows a member list, conversation window and a couple of other icons/buttons. But when I start typing in the message box, it takes ages to catch up and display what I'm actually typing - a fairly short sentence means I have to wait about 15-20 seconds for it to catch up before I can press return to send my text to the conversation.

Reverting to v22 resolves this. I am using the latest version of flash (11.8.800.94).
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    No problems at all here with FF.

A recent survey had Firefox as the most stable browser of them all.
    Safari was worst, but that might have been just the Windows version.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent survey by whom ?
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭