Options

Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    If DW has a baby, that means the second episode spans at least 9 months. Unless it's some sort of dream/vision.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posibly the baby is the grandfather or mother of saxon? or maybe another charector. could be anyone really.

.... yes. you may be right :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i think the family of blood are working for saxon because, the events when they run away at the begining happened in 2007. (The Docotr said this)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to argue with the 'best episode yet' build up - certainly for this series though I'm not so sure it really compares to TEC.
    Don't think the 'chameleon arch' has ever been used before but being part of the Tardis does give the science that bit more leeway - also the Doctor being 'in the watch' initially seems fanciful but no more than an entire spaceship being 'inside' a police box. Actually 'becoming' human also explains how his second heart wasn't found - it's not there anymore.
    Loved the 'cameos' by past Doctors - the press releases have really pulled a fast one with their leaks :D
    Having said that the Rose reference took that one too far and minimised the overall impact.
    Supporting cast were excellent , especially Baines who captured the whole look and movements really well to portray an extremely creepy character. Not entirely certain of the relationship with the matron , a bit too Rose/Martha/MdP etc. but let's see how it develops.
    Really hope there is much more to Latimer as well , his precognition seems to be building towards something and I've no doubt he'll be a big part of the second part. I'm assuming him opening the watch allowed some of the Doctor to return thus explaining the various references to Gallifrey etc. although the dreams and books would indicate a part of the Doctor remained within Smith.
    Scarecrows were great , definite nod towards various 'classic' villains but remaining fresh and original.
    Didn't like the piano scene , just seemed too contrived and would have been better if he had simply pulled the woman away from underneath the piano.
    One big problem was with the trailer - spoilers in case anyone didn't watch it
    Why have a cliffhanger where one of two characters is apparently about to meet her death ( one of them completely expendable ) then show both in the trailer ? We know Martha's going to survive because we've seen trailers of the rest of the series but there was a possibility of Matron being sacrificed for about 10 seconds until we saw her in the trailer !
    Overall had the right balance of storytelling with sci-fi , great acting , good effects - best episode yet !
  • Options
    DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was definitely the best episode of the series in my opinion. It's the first time I've thought to myself I hope it's a two parter and I usually don't like episodes set in the past.
  • Options
    AndiCAndiC Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I okay just a guess... made it up :-)

Martha get killed

Dr gets married and has a kid (see this in next weeks preview)

may be Dr remembers more

Some how the kid travels back in time maybe finds the watch, key and tardis in that building in future, (working on that!.. but he seems to know things before they happen eg that Africa business)

and turns out to be the kid with the visions that currently has the watch at the school

stops Martha getting killed and helps to restore the doctor.

.....okay okay i did say i made it up!
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matchu wrote: »
    If DW has a baby, that means the second episode spans at least 9 months. Unless it's some sort of dream/vision.

That's what I think. I mean a 9 month span episode is a bit much lol.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably get lambasted for this, but couldnt help noticing the parallels between
    The boy with the watch and Billis from Torchwood :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There'd been about a billion spoilers saying the doctor got married, meaning it was obvious from the start the Matron was going to survive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'll probably get lambasted for this, but couldnt help noticing the parallels between

CJ is back soon...
    I doubt there's a connection though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha! That's an excellent thought
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that almost all of us in agreement for once!!!! :D

The current poll result is amazing....:eek: :D
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so is this how the doctor got a granddaughter - susan?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to delete this as I forgot to put spoiler tags,
    see next post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i think the family of blood are working for saxon because, the events when they run away at the begining happened in 2007. (The Docotr said this)
    Didn't the Doctor refer to them having a vortex manipulator during the flashback to just before he became human.
    It's rumoured that Capt Jack used one of these to return to earth and Cardiff Torchwood. Perhaps Jack leaves it behind in Cardiff Bay whilst running for the Tardis and Saxons cronies locate it. They then give it to the Family Of Blood under MS instructions to bring back the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

get your coat! true, but i think he is an ally. btw where did billis go at end of TW? (Note to self its a Dw thread!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely no one can complain about that ep!

Beautifully directed, masterfully written, acted to perfection. Set design spot on, musical score just right...

the only bad thing is that we have to wait a whole week to see part 2...

So many questions left unanswered... Latimer is definitely not of this planet... that's why Baines sniffed him out when he climbed through the window - he smelt different.

I think Latimer grows up to be CJ :D
    The flashforwards are yet to be explained... but might tie in to the line in series two were the Doctor says 'I had a son once'. Mr Saxon has got to be involved somewhere... probably employing the Family

Best episode of new Who so far :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the Doctor refer to them having a vortex manipulator during the flashback to just before he became human.
    It's rumoured that Capt Jack used one of these to return to earth and Cardiff Torchwood. Perhaps Jack leaves it behind in Cardiff Bay whilst running for the Tardis and Saxons cronies locate it. They then give it to the Family Of Blood under MS instructions to bring back the Doctor.

yeah i bagan that rumour. or helped and i stick by it. however, the spoiler i have read states
    A. Jack takes it with him to Utopia and B. it doesnt work

well thats what ive read ses!
  • Options
    nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dangerman wrote: »
    Difficult to argue with the 'best episode yet' build up - certainly for this series though I'm not so sure it really compares to TEC.
    Don't think the 'chameleon arch' has ever been used before but being part of the Tardis does give the science that bit more leeway - also the Doctor being 'in the watch' initially seems fanciful but no more than an entire spaceship being 'inside' a police box. Actually 'becoming' human also explains how his second heart wasn't found - it's not there anymore.
    Loved the 'cameos' by past Doctors - the press releases have really pulled a fast one with their leaks :D
    Having said that the Rose reference took that one too far and minimised the overall impact.
    Supporting cast were excellent , especially Baines who captured the whole look and movements really well to portray an extremely creepy character. Not entirely certain of the relationship with the matron , a bit too Rose/Martha/MdP etc. but let's see how it develops.
    Really hope there is much more to Latimer as well , his precognition seems to be building towards something and I've no doubt he'll be a big part of the second part. I'm assuming him opening the watch allowed some of the Doctor to return thus explaining the various references to Gallifrey etc. although the dreams and books would indicate a part of the Doctor remained within Smith.
    Scarecrows were great , definite nod towards various 'classic' villains but remaining fresh and original.
    Didn't like the piano scene , just seemed too contrived and would have been better if he had simply pulled the woman away from underneath the piano.
    One big problem was with the trailer - spoilers in case anyone didn't watch it
    Why have a cliffhanger where one of two characters is apparently about to meet her death ( one of them completely expendable ) then show both in the trailer ? We know Martha's going to survive because we've seen trailers of the rest of the series but there was a possibility of Matron being sacrificed for about 10 seconds until we saw her in the trailer !
    Overall had the right balance of storytelling with sci-fi , great acting , good effects - best episode yet !

Compared with S1, where we had the "next week" trailer at the beginning of the credits on 2-parters (rather than after), things have certainly improved.

Personally, I could happily live without a trailer at all... then again, it's very easy to switch over as the credits begin.

Very positive ratings on the poll, btw! And, given the rain, hopefully a few more people will have got to see this episode.

nyingy
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get your coat! true, but i think he is an ally. btw where did billis go at end of TW? (Note to self its a Dw thread!)

True, but people would end up complaining about yet another thread about the Whoniverse. To answer you're question though, we don't know!!!
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That ... was ... brilliant!!!

Mr M, who's been watching Dr Who since the first ever episode when he was six, and is a bit "Hrrrumph" about the new series, said at the end: "That was proper Dr Who!"

And it was!

Intelligent, socially aware, interesting, exciting, terrifying, tense, superbly written, brilliantly acted...

THIS is what Dr Who SHOULD BE LIKE!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely no one can complain about that ep!

Beautifully directed, masterfully written, acted to perfection. Set design spot on, musical score just right...

the only bad thing is that we have to wait a whole week to see part 2...

So many questions left unanswered... Latimer is definitely not of this planet... that's why Baines sniffed him out when he climbed through the window - he smelt different.

I think Latimer grows up to be CJ :D
    The flashforwards are yet to be explained... but might tie in to the line in series two were the Doctor says 'I had a son once'. Mr Saxon has got to be involved somewhere... probably employing the Family

Best episode of new Who so far :D
    yeah i bagan that rumour. or helped and i stick by it. however, the spoiler i have read states
    A. Jack takes it with him to Utopia and B. it doesnt work

well thats what ive read ses!
    It's a good theory ST.
    maybe Saxon somehow steals whatever makes it work. Makes some sense as we know CJ doesn't need it to get to Utopia from the clip!!
  • Options
    roberth1117roberth1117 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with what Dangerman said above in spoiler tag, what's the point in such a dramatic cliffhanger when it is then instantly revealed by the trailer?? Thought it was an abosultely amazing episode though and definately lived up to all the hype from TubeTalk.
  • Options
    SmallalSmallal Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Thought it was superb!! The only thing that jumped out as a negative was the guns.....they looked like they should be firing bubbles.

Baines was well acted - very sinister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good theory ST.
    maybe Saxon somehow steals whatever makes it work. Makes some sense as we know CJ doesn't need it to get to Utopia from the clip!!

true, but in the dialouge from the 'script extract'
    It says jack is shoeing it, on his arm to the Doctor. The doctor says his Tardis is like a posh executive car and jacks device is like a spacehopper!