Options

Get More Potter with Pottermore (Official Thread)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    lisa02 wrote: »
    So... Clue 6 tomorrow.... What time do you think it will be at? We'll have to see who wins this round. :p

UPDATED: So far, all the clues have appeared in the early hours of the morning in my time zone. Will this continue for the remainder of The Magical Quill challenge?
    We know that Harry Potter fans around the world are taking part in the challenge, so we will be varying the times that the clues are revealed. We can tell you that tomorrow’s clue (Day 6) will be released between 1:30pm and 4.00pm BST, and the final clue (Day 7) will be released between 12:30am and 3:00am BST on Saturday 6 August.

Crikey! Well done to Violetsummers who said, and I quote, "Hopefully there won't be some ridiculous 2am registration on day 7"

Yes it looks like there is someone on the Pottermore Staff who dislikes Violet doesn't it? :)

I will go for 2:30 - 3:00 :D
  • Options
    lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it looks like there is someone on the Pottermore Staff who dislikes Violet doesn't it? :)

I will go for 2:30 - 3:00 :D

Aaw that's what I was gonna go for. :cry:

I'll say 2 - 2:30 then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think Pottermore is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you think Pottermore is?

I think it is some kind of interactive function that your use in parallel as you read the book - although I can't imagine how this isn't going to be cumbersome - I mean you don't want to finish a chapter then switch on the computer and type in something things.

This one of the reasons I am excited as I still don't have a solid idea what this thing could be - the way JKR describes it, I feel you follow along with the book. If it is just away to add addendum to the book though I might be a little disappointed, but getting the Username was fun at least :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is some kind of interactive function that your use in parallel as you read the book - although I can't imagine how this isn't going to be cumbersome - I mean you don't want to finish a chapter then switch on the computer and type in something things.

This one of the reasons I am excited as I still don't have a solid idea what this thing could be - the way JKR describes it, I feel you follow along with the book. If it is just away to add addendum to the book though I might be a little disappointed, but getting the Username was fun at least :D

I don't have a clue what it is but I can't wait until it starts letting people into the site. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

I'll just have to keep reading HP fanfiction until then I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't have a clue what it is but I can't wait until it starts letting people into the site. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

I'll just have to keep reading HP fanfiction until then I guess.

hopefully it will be after the 7th day clues. I doubt it though, probably September (which is when I thought they would open the site - you know because that is when they go to school :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopefully it will be after the 7th day clues. I doubt it though, probably September (which is when I thought they would open the site - you know because that is when they go to school :))

They say in the emails that they aren't letting everyone in at once and that it could take a few weeks before your let in. I would guess before the last week in August at the latest.

Apparently the site is open to everyone in October.

I hope that once you get in that you don't get a set amount of time before being locked out again until October.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They say in the emails that they aren't letting everyone in at once and that it could take a few weeks before your let in. I would guess before the last week in August at the latest.

Apparently the site is open to everyone in October.

I hope that once you get in that you don't get a set amount of time before being locked out again until October.

Shouldn't get locked out - we are testing the system, so you will expect a few bugs and glitches, crashes and wrong turns. We are basically cheap labour :) they could pay testers but why not throw it to the willing potter fans who will work for potter tidbits :D

I am wondering about if they will actually let us do everything or limit us, I mean how would they avoid spoilers about the facts that are given to us (the info about the Hogwarts Express for example) if that is given to us beta testers what is stopping us sharing it to the world?? The thing that would stop me is I don't want to share it, keeping it all to myself (and the other million users :D)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just keeping a wee eye on my emails. Watching Goblet of Fire right now, which is my favourite film and book.

Also reading some fanfiction as well lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also reading some fanfiction as well lol

So am I! What's your choice of ship at the minute?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't get locked out - we are testing the system, so you will expect a few bugs and glitches, crashes and wrong turns. We are basically cheap labour :) they could pay testers but why not throw it to the willing potter fans who will work for potter tidbits :D

I am wondering about if they will actually let us do everything or limit us, I mean how would they avoid spoilers about the facts that are given to us (the info about the Hogwarts Express for example) if that is given to us beta testers what is stopping us sharing it to the world?? The thing that would stop me is I don't want to share it, keeping it all to myself (and the other million users :D)

Yeah but they also say they aren't letting everyone in at once so I thought that they would let some in first, then the next lot while blocking access for the first lot and so forth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of fanfiction, has anyone come across any really good (canon) stories? I love little0bird's work on fanfiction.net. She has lots to keep you going and it is just fantastically written. It carries on from where the books leave off and it has become headcanon for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but they also say they aren't letting everyone in at once so I thought that they would let some in first, then the next lot while blocking access for the first lot and so forth.

That could be it, the reasoning to me was because they didn't want to overload the servers by sending out all the emails at once and potentially having 1 million users try to login and mess around at the same instance.

So I thought they were essentially staggering the users so that they don't all come at once. But your thinking could be equally as valid, so we will just have to wait and see :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of fanfiction, has anyone come across any really good (canon) stories? I love little0bird's work on fanfiction.net. She has lots to keep you going and it is just fantastically written. It carries on from where the books leave off and it has become headcanon for me.

No sorry. A lot of the fanfics I read involve Snape and Hermione. That doesn't happen much in canon as she's underage so a lot of the stuff I read are after DH and Snape is still alive.

What ship are you looking for and I can ask my friend on LiveJournal for some recs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could be it, the reasoning to me was because they didn't want to overload the servers by sending out all the emails at once and potentially having 1 million users try to login and mess around at the same instance.

So I thought they were essentially staggering the users so that they don't all come at once. But your thinking could be equally as valid, so we will just have to wait and see :)

I never thought of that actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So am I! What's your choice of ship at the minute?

I'm not really a shipper as such, mainly stick to almost canon, but I do sometimes enjoy a Draco/Harry or snape/hermione. I also like time travel ones, but only if done tastefully.

I read them on my phone though as it's easier to read them in bed lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sorry. A lot of the fanfics I read involve Snape and Hermione. That doesn't happen much in canon as she's underage so a lot of the stuff I read are after DH and Snape is still alive.

What ship are you looking for and I can ask my friend on LiveJournal for some recs.

Any Harry/Ginny or Ron/Hermione stories would be wonderful thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've read a lot of her stories actually!

I have read loads of good stories about the missing years etc, but I couldnt remember them :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This one seems quite a good writer:

http://m.fanfiction.net/u/708137/

The writer is called Abraxan and I'm reading the Refiners Fire. It's cannon up until 5th book as it came out in 2004, there is 2 sequels as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really a shipper as such, mainly stick to almost canon, but I do sometimes enjoy a Draco/Harry or snape/hermione. I also like time travel ones, but only if done tastefully.

I read them on my phone though as it's easier to read them in bed lol.

This LiveJournal user has a lot of Harry/Draco fics and recs. http://faithwood.livejournal.com/58378.html#cutid1

I asked her about some canon ones for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://faithwood.livejournal.com/58378.html#cutid1 has a few Harry/Ginny fics. Other than that I don't have any recommendations. It's not a pairing I would read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This one seems quite a good writer:

http://m.fanfiction.net/u/708137/

The writer is called Abraxan and I'm reading the Refiners Fire. It's cannon up until 5th book as it came out in 2004, there is 2 sequels as well.

I just had a look at that page, there needs to be some kind of legend for beginners because although I know what ships are (barely) have have no clue who ROC is or RT? There were other examples some I can decipher others leave me perplexed :) I think RT is Remus and Tonks but I could be wrong :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look at that page, there needs to be some kind of legend for beginners because although I know what ships are (barely) have have no clue who ROC is or RT? There were other examples some I can decipher others leave me perplexed :) I think RT is Remus and Tonks but I could be wrong :)

OC means original character. So that's a character that the author has created. So ROC is either Ron/OC or Remus/OC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/docs/terms.html#r There's one but it doesn't give specifics with regards to pairings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OC means original character. So that's a character that the author has created. So ROC is either Ron/OC or Remus/OC.

Ah right, see I would not have gotten that in a million guesses :)