Films the majority of people love, but you absolutely hate

1235»

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I absolutely loathe It's A Wonderful Life. Despise the cloying sentimentality.

And while I don't hate it, I find Vertigo one of Hitchcock's weakest. Hell, I actually think the underrated Frenzy is better.

I agree with everything you say, and interestingly enough, they were both critical office flops at the time, and didn't exactly break box office records when they were first released.
    Forum Member
    Interesting. You beat me by 10 years at least. I was going to say that with some of the older movies, you probably had to be there at the time to appreciate the impact certain films made at the time..but you were there ! :)
    But a lot of films made their reputation out of the actors starring in them, I would say Casablanca was definitely one of those. As a movie it's just a pile of schmaltz, but the collection of great character actors of the day, and the numerous quotable lines, have made it a collectors piece.

I guess the reason that I dislike Casablanca is Bergman, I know everyone loved her, but she leaves me cold, although I saw all of her films when I was young.

I loved all of the character actors much better than the stars, particularly Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, and S.Z. Sakall.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    What amazes me is the fact so many people sit through a whole film they are supposedly hating, surely you would know at least by half way that its not your cup of tea & give up on it, I suspect many of these films people are " hating " are watched on TV rather than the cinema, if its that bad why bother continuing, that is surely the case for Shawshank Redemption, I have yet to speak to anyone who saw it at the cinema so everyone who disliked this film had ample opportunity to switch off but I sure you all gritted your teeth to the bitter end to watch the whole film :eek: :D

That's the case with me and Shawshank Redemption. I've never been able to sit through the whole thing.

Films at the cinema that bored me were

Titanic
    American Beauty
    Top Gun (even though I quite like Tom Cruise)

Kill Bill 1 - just didn't like all the bloody gore

Films on TV that I sat through to the bitter end and then wondered why:
    Mamma Mia (Didn't make me feel good)
    Forrest Gump

Films I've turned off becauser they are too violent and depressing

Reservoir Dogs

No Country For Old Men (which I'd been looking forward to as I generally like the Cohen Brothers and I love Javier Badim usually)

Films I just don't want to see having watched a few clips

All the Harry Potter ones
    Most magical fantasy LOTR style movies
    Moulin Rouge
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I absolutely loathe It's A Wonderful Life. Despise the cloying sentimentality.

And while I don't hate it, I find Vertigo one of Hitchcock's weakest. Hell, I actually think the underrated Frenzy is better.

You've just reminded me that Frenzy is one of my all time most disliked movies along with Rope. The only Hitchcock movie that was any good was Psycho IMO.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I congratulate this thread for its ruthless exposure of some of the people with the most dreadful taste. Obviously some are merely trolling though, so feel sorry for them.

And I feel sorry for you, not being able to process the fact that different opinions exist and are equally as valid must be a frustrating way to live. :(

I assume you expect all discussion on forums to echo your own sentiments? Good luck with that one. :)
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Lost Boys. Seen so much hype for it. Watched it, thought it was terrible.
    Forum Member
    You've just reminded me that Frenzy is one of my all time most disliked movies along with Rope. The only Hitchcock movie that was any good was Psycho IMO.

I guess that you haven't seen The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca, Stage Fright, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, and North by Northwest.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 5 'Twilight' movies. I might think differently if a more appealing lead than Robert was casted.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Far from a majority loves the Twilight films. They don't have a single redeeming quality between them.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that a majority likes them according to box office figures on wiki. That many teenagers in the world?
  • squirtlesquirtle Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was channel hopping once and caught a few minutes of Slumdog Millionaire. I saw a little child having his eyes burned out. It was billed as a great, feelgood movie, an oscar winning film no less. I still feel upset when I think about it.
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely I can't be the only one who hated In Bruges?
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I've never seen any of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars or Star Trek movies? Or Avatar for that matter. I just can't bring myself to watch any of them.
    And I can't stand The Sound of Music. Drivel of the highest degree.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Potter movies
    Grease
    Mamma Mia
    The Bodyguard
    Disney's Cinderella
    Requiem for a Dream
    Toy Story
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squirtle wrote: »
    I was channel hopping once and caught a few minutes of Slumdog Millionaire. I saw a little child having his eyes burned out. It was billed as a great, feelgood movie, an oscar winning film no less. I still feel upset when I think about it.

I was like that with Slumdog Millionaire. It was awful. Another Oscar winning film I was like :confused: at was Dances with Wolves. I'll never get those 3 hours at the cinema back and I was asleep for 90 minutes of them. Lost in Translation was another that baffled me.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Fargo. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about this film. It was too jokey and the characters seemed like stereotypes. The Coen Brothers do seem a bit hit-and-miss with me. I liked No Country For Old Men, The Big Lebrowski and The Man Who Wasn't There. Things like Intolerable Cruelty didn't work for me.
  • TempletonTempleton Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that the recent musical version of 'Les Miserables' hasn't come up. Found it interminable, although nothing tops 'The Twlight Saga: Breaking Dawn-Part 2' in that respect. However, the latter did not receive the same level of accolades as LM appears to have.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anchorman. Watched it once the first time around as my sister wanted to see it and, much like all of Will Ferrell's films, it just did nothing for me and i forgot all about it.

She rather excitedly asked me over the weekend when we were going to see part 2 and I told her i'd forgotten all about the first one so she said I should watch it again.

Watched it this afternoon and laughed probably twice. I knew there was a good reason I avoided Will Ferrell films.
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Star Wars (all of them, apart from Ep 5 which is just meh)

Alien

Gravity

Not a Sci-Fi hater, I just hate bad Sci-Fi. All of those are bad Sci-Fi IMO.

Now an adaptation of The Culture novels by Iain M Banks, that I'd like to see
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very interesting that some people of put films they hate and have no intention of watching??

How can you hate a film without even watching the whole thing?

Doesn't make sense to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Lord of the Rings - HATE plain and simple
    Pirates of the Caribbean - don't hate but just don't get the hype
    Anchorman and practically anything else with Will Ferrel
    Nearly every live action musical in existence

There are more but can't think.
    Dar W wrote: »
    I don't get the love for The Lion King.Seen it 2/3 times because there is a lot of love out there for it and thought im missing something but i just dont get it.There's a lot more better Disney films out there than that

I am in a agreement with this. Give me Jungle Book and Tarzan over this any day. I don't hate the film but I find it hugely overrated. I find it pretty average in comparison to other Disney films.
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Hangover. Simply unfunny, with terrible acting, a terrible script and with no characters who I could have cared less about.

Could not agree more!!! I was told repeatedly how 'hilarious' this film was by family and friends. Seriously what was funny!??? The characters were incredibly dull, stupid and dislikeable doing dumb things. There was no imagination no originality. Didn't laugh once. I found it a complete embarrassment more than anything else and I enjoy low brow humour. I just do not get it!!!!!
    Takae wrote: »
    Lost in Translation
    Audition
    Battle Royale
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I don't hate them, though. They just simply didn't work for me. Enough to irritate me deeply when people recommend them to me.

I would be one of those people. I loved all three of those films.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Miserables. 15 minutes of this crap seemd like an eternity. Embarrassingly awful.

Also anything with creepy Vince Vaughan and the inexplicably popular Owen Wilson.