UKIP banned from London Gay Pride

Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although many other parties allowed to join.

Not a political decision apparently but practical due to health and safety due to alleged sit ins and protests against them.

http://prideinlondon.org/news/2015/06/statement-ukip-presence-pride-london/

I'm gay and not a UKIP voter but find this worrying due to free speech implications. Especially since it seems threatening behaviour against them has worked

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm straight and hate UKIP, but still think they should be allowed to attend
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do all gays love the EU then?
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is that its unfortunate for gay UKIP members who are trying to move the party round. What next the Tories banned?
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    The thing is that its unfortunate for gay UKIP members who are trying to move the party round. What next the Tories banned?

What do you mean by "trying to move the party round"?

You do realise that UKIP has gay memebers and a gay MEP, don't you?

Please stop believing in the biased media regarding this party and actually do some research on UKIP itself.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Although many other parties allowed to join.

Not a political decision apparently but practical due to health and safety due to alleged sit ins and protests against them.

http://prideinlondon.org/news/2015/06/statement-ukip-presence-pride-london/

I'm gay and not a UKIP voter but find this worrying due to free speech implications. Especially since it seems threatening behaviour against them has worked

The far left doesn't believe in democracy. That much is true.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unbelievable bullcrap, NOTHING in this whatsoever
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gay, don't vote UKIP and also don't agree with this. They should be allowed to march and if anyone has a problem with that, they should be told that any aggression or violence won't be acceptable. It amounts to giving in to intimidation.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't quite get it. There are homophobes in every party most likely, the worst I have heard is from older land owner type Tories or younger, working class Labour supporters. I can see them banning the EDL or BNP but I don't see the kippers as particularly homophobic.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A wrong decision though they won't be missed.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I said on the UKIP watch thread that i think this is a mistake.
  • _Call_Me_Dave__Call_Me_Dave_ Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Don't quite get it. There are homophobes in every party most likely, the worst I have heard is from older land owner type Tories or younger, working class Labour supporters. I can see them banning the EDL or BNP but I don't see the kippers as particularly homophobic.
    The Conservative Monday Club, Swinton Circle, Traditional Britain, the list goes on. Every party has its extremists and their behaviour should not be used to tarnish all members.
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What hypocrisy. A march about inclusion and tolerance that's excluding a group because the organisers are intolerant of their opinions.
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    What hypocrisy. A march about inclusion and tolerance that's excluding a group because the organisers are intolerant of their opinions.

...................even though they (UKIP) include LBGT members / supporters.

LBGT community has had to achieve a lot to overcome precisely that which a section now wishes to practice, intolerance.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The "tolerance" of the leftie loopers is a one-way street.

But which opinions are they intolerant of here?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I share the disappointment and scepticism about this decision. It seems short sighted, counterproductive and needlessly declining an olive branch.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I share the disappointment and scepticism about this decision. It seems short sighted, counterproductive and needlessly declining an olive branch.

That is how i see it as well, this could have built bridges and shown real tolerance,inclusion and unity but now it's a lost opportunity. The wrong decision has been made due to an organised campaign to boycott or cause trouble if they were allowed to attend.

Sad at at the reaction by some Ukippers on breitbart though, the usual hate came out like comparing paedophiles with gay people. One member even put a link up of a guy being beheaded in a muslim country and joked it's a muslim gay pride. They don't see this will only make people feel justified in banning them in the first place.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member

If you read the article, you'll see that is not the case. No hypocrisy involved.
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    If you read the article, you'll see that is not the case. No hypocrisy involved.

I think you are missing the point. Some fluff about protection and safety is a smoke screen.

The event preaches tolerance and inclusion. Neither of these are being exhibited.

Seemingly the organisers are saying that to participate you have to be the right kind of gay.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very poor decision and the reason given is one you would least expect from the gay community who have been subject to this sort of thing themselves. Whatever the organisers say it will envitably leave them open to accusations of political bias.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since none of us are organisers of Gay Pride (and if you are please step forward) we have no idea what kind of threats/abuse they may have received on this.

That in NO WAY is acceptable but they would be idiots (and potentially liable) to ignore such things, let it go ahead without proper consideration and maybe consultation with people like the police and then there be real trouble occur.

Should UKIP have been allowed to attend...yes...but I would have hoped it would have been possible to negotiate with them a small delegation that another group would have agreed to parade alongside to act as a buffer to the lunatic fringe.

Though I'm not sure who would step up to agree to act a shield...gay cops or firemen maybe?

And those who dislike UKIP should think a bit...the more they sort out/sift out or more likely cause to walk out some of their homophobic element...the LESS of them there will be.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member
    I think you are missing the point. Some fluff about protection and safety is a smoke screen.
    Well, you don't know that. It could be a perfectly genuine reason.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Since none of us are organisers of Gay Pride (and if you are please step forward) we have no idea what kind of threats/abuse they may have received on this.

And those who dislike UKIP should think a bit...the more they sort out/sift out or more likely cause to walk out some of their homophobic element...the LESS of them there will be.

I do find it rather odd that organisers of the Gay Pride march want to ban some gay people from the march because they might be subject to threats and abuse because they support the third largest UUK party by votes at the last election.

The people who started gay pride in the 60s and 70s had to suffer prejudice and harassment and abuse every time they organised and held the event. Surely the point of the event is to stand up and show tolerance. Seems you are allowed to be gay and proud - but only if the organisers approve of the sort of gay person you are and your beliefs.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »

I disagree, their attitude stinks of hypocrisy.

If a bigoted bunch of knuckle draggers were hassling and being violent towards transgender people, do you think the answer would be to ban transgender people ( in the interests of security) from the march ?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I do find it rather odd that organisers of the Gay Pride march want to ban some gay people from the march because they might be subject to threats and abuse because they support the third largest UUK party by votes at the last election.

Just as an issue of accuracy, no actual people have been banned. UKIP members, as far as I know, are entirely allowed to take part. The organisation itself is all that's not allowed a presence.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be amusing if a gay UKIP supporter challenged this in the courts as breaching articles 10 and 11 of the ECHR.