Options

Nicky Morgan - very dangerous views and re-defining terrorism

GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33325654

So anybody who says they have problem with homosexuality is now a terrorist. Many Christians should be worried their kids are going to dob them in to the authorities. Overtones of the Stalinist USSR and Nazi Germany.

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The move has not been prompted by the massacre in Tunisia but follows David Cameron's call for people to become "intolerant of intolerance."

That doesn't even make any sense. We all have the right to be intolerant if we feel like it. And if you're "intolerant of intolerance", aren't you also intolerant of the "intolerance of intolerance." And so on, ad infinitum.

I'll stand up for the right of anyone to have feelings of intolerance, unacceptance, dislike, whatever, just as long as they remain feelings.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't she dead set against same sex marriage at one point?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "She said attacking core British values or being extremely intolerant of homosexuality were examples of behaviour that could raise the alarm."

Why is it dangerous to look at the reasons to why a child or teenager starts saying gay people should be murdered and British democracy/laws etc. are evil?
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is unclear what she meant by homosexuality- ie a gay orientation or the practise of same sex sexual relations. If she meant the latter, it drives a coach and horses through the government's protestations that free speech would be maintained despite the passing of the Same Sex Marriage Act.

But I agree- the proposals are dangerous at every level, because what amounts to extremism is what the government of the day says it is. In other words, the government can effectively silence the voicing of opinions it does not like. It is not just Christians who have reason to be afraid here.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And people thought New Labour were Orwellian control freaks...

The standard technique, use children against their parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    "She said attacking core British values or being extremely intolerant of homosexuality were examples of behaviour that could raise the alarm."

Why is it dangerous to look at the reasons to why a child or teenager starts saying gay people should be murdered and British democracy/laws etc. are evil?

If that is what NM is driving at, I agree. But that isn't what she said- her words could have meant any criticism of same sex sexual relationships. She needs to clarify what she said.

As I said above, there is a far wider danger here. This administration is fast becoming a danger to all our freedoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1965Wolf wrote: »
    If that is what NM is driving at, I agree. But that isn't what she said- her words could have meant any criticism of same sex sexual relationships. She needs to clarify what she said.

As I said above, there is a far wider danger here. This administration is fast becoming a danger to all our freedoms.

I certainly didn't read her saying that anybody who has a "problem" with homosexuality "is now a terrorist.".
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Why promote faith schools then - hardly any religion actually really accepts homosexuality.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She herself is homophobic, voting against the gay marriage bill twice for example.

She has a child and that child is likely going to grow up to share her homophobia.

Nicky Moron, what a morgan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    She herself is homophobic, voting against the gay marriage bill twice for example.

She has a child and that child is likely going to grow up to share her homophobia.

Nicky Moron, what a morgan.

Do you think she shares ISIS's views on homosexuality? If so we'll need keep her away from high buildings. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think she shares ISIS's views on homosexuality? If so we'll need keep her away from high buildings. :o

Very good. :D
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the BBC article on this earlier, as far as I can see there is mention of views expressed like "homosexuals are evil" so not just your average religious/cultural inspired bigotry. Well I hope that's the case because as the stats show that almost all UK Muslims are homophobic without counting the various others then there's going to be an awful lot of telephone calls.

I'm fairly sure the equation homophobic=terrorist wasn't exactly meant but who can tell with politicians and their lack of in depth grasp of anything beyond their own bank account.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I hope they're going to define exactly what they mean by 'core British values'. Should any political party, whether in government or not, really have the right to tell us what those are?
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Private & Oxbridge education. Previous stance on gay marriage, now the b&b owners and cake decorators respectively 'may' have caches of Kalashnikov's in their premises and must be watched more closely. £130000 grand a year for this sound bite.

No Dicky Moron, poor / sheltered education and peers influence is far more likely the cause of homophobia.........unless your pointing the finger in a general way but actually mean a specific group? Plus, kids are kids and say and do uninformed and silly things, not good at coping or dealing with 'difference'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I read the BBC article on this earlier, as far as I can see there is mention of views expressed like "homosexuals are evil" so not just your average religious/cultural inspired bigotry. Well I hope that's the case because as the stats show that almost all UK Muslims are homophobic without counting the various others then there's going to be an awful lot of telephone calls.

I'm fairly sure the equation homophobic=terrorist wasn't exactly meant but who can tell with politicians and their lack of in depth grasp of anything beyond their own bank account.

I agree with that. Surveys have shown that British Muslims are 100% intolerant of gay people. She did say "extremely intolerant of homosexuality" and said it could be a warning sign along with other warning signs. If she didn't express herself clearly enough so that becomes "homophobia= terrorist" then she's just not very good at her job.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    I agree with that. Surveys have shown that British Muslims are 100% intolerant of gay people. She did say "extremely intolerant of homosexuality" and said it could be a warning sign along with other warning signs. If she didn't express herself clearly enough so that becomes "homophobia= terrorist" then she's just not very good at her job.

Precisely, generalisation made, but I suspect actually targeting a specific demographic (ie: calling a spade a pick)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I hope they're going to define exactly what they mean by 'core British values'. Should any political party, whether in government or not, really have the right to tell us what those are?

We are such a fragmented and diverse society, that any definition would be seen as an attempt to control the masses. Next they will be passing a law to define it!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't seem to be very different to what the law already requires schools to do.

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_school/what_the_law_says/default.asp

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/youth_crime/10236.html
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    We are such a fragmented and diverse society, that any definition would be seen as an attempt to control the masses. Next they will be passing a law to define it!

No wonder the quote in the OP says teachers feel 'nervousness and confusion' about the whole thing.

Using abusive language towards other pupils, or teachers, such as racist or homophobic insults, would already get kids into trouble. Why do the Tories have to stick their noses in and go all thought police over this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the interview and she referred to people who have problems with homosexuality, without saying what that meant, the orientation or the practise. There is a big difference. Although she wasn't saying that such people are terrorists they will be treated as such.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look it's those mystical white, middle class, English........whoops I mean "British values" again.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member

More like the media are sh*t at doing their job and reporting things accurately. She's obviously referring to Muslims who believe homosexuality is evil. Hence why she mentioned ISIS and their view of gay people when she said it.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put bluntly, she want people to do as she says, regardless of how inconsistent she is.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surveys have shown that British Muslims are 100% intolerant of gay people.
    So Gay Muslims hate themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So Gay Muslims hate themselves?

They either do, or they're such a statistically small group that they don't figure in surveys about attitudes!