Panasonic TH37PE30B and Digital Sat.

I was very close to ordering a Panasonic TH37PE30B Plasma screen when I started reading about its poor performance using Digital Satellite and the RGB input. I have heard the picture described as "Acceptable" and "Poor". Why should this be?
My present set up is Sky + V1 and Sony 32" Wega, which is five years old. Using RGB I get an excellent picture, every bit as good as DVD.
Can anyone with the Panasonic offer any thoughts?
Richard Howard.

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I was very close to ordering a Panasonic TH37PE30B Plasma screen when I started reading about its poor performance using Digital Satellite and the RGB input. I have heard the picture described as "Acceptable" and "Poor". Why should this be?
    My present set up is Sky + V1 and Sony 32" Wega, which is five years old. Using RGB I get an excellent picture, every bit as good as DVD.
    Can anyone with the Panasonic offer any thoughts?
    Richard Howard.

Well, if a review says the RGB input is only "Acceptable" or "Poor"; I personally would not be interested in buying the Plasma set!

BTW: I can't find an on-line review of this model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth remembering that many Dsat channels are run at less than optimal bitrates and even via RGB will look s**t on a high end flat panel display be it Plasma or LCD.
    Also worth noting that most users seem to prefer the RGB to VGA route to feed a Plasma from SKY D.

Pop over to the Plasma forum over at avforums, you'll find some info there:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Hi Richard,
    I've got a Panny plasma (different model) and the picture from RGB is fine.

The problems occur when SKY broadcast some programs at a lower bitrate...but this would give a bad picture on any tv using any connection.

Good point about VGA, Jarrak - I tried going down the VGA route and the picture was horrendous - sharp when the bitrate was high but horrible jagged edges when it dropped off.