Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    As Empty Child was the best of the first and Girl in the Fireplace was the best of the second this is the best of the third (so far... :) )Hell I'd even put it the best of the reboot .
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... we've still got a Stephen Moffat episode to come this series! ... can't wait to see what he does next!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    indeed Stephen has yet to let us down :D next few weeks are looking good
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Any chance of a 'mm:ss'. I was watching out for it during the BBC3 repeat and didn't notice it. I could see a 'white area' in the background but it didn't seem to be anything in particular, maybe a house, perhaps you need an HD screen to see it? K
    If it's the bit I'm thinking of, it's around 26mins in, immediately following where the scarecrow kidnaps the little girl.

Here's a cap of the scene: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4687/who1pl1.jpg

While the van can clearly been seen in this cap, it is barely there when I watch it on my 32" W/S TV because it's so close to the top of the screen it's almost in the "overscan" area. I assume that might be why they either missed it or didn't bother about it.

The reason it's so visible in the screen-cap is, of course, that PC screens don't have an "overscan" :D

One final annoyance. I went looking for the novel the other day. It was on Amazon and Ebay at between £20-35 :eek: Also supposedly serialised here but of course it's not there now :(
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was just looking at the name of the preminiton kid ( from love actually) in the story his name is TIM LATIMER!
    Now in the book by paul cornell there is a charicter thats actualy a TIME LORD keeping an eye on the doctor i have a feeling that TIM IS A TIME LORD ALA THE FACE OF BOE "you are not alone" !!!!!!

loved this episode alot my faves of the reboot are ( the doctor dances, the empty child , girl in the fire place, the satan pit & now Human nature)

voted excellent as well first time this season :-))
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    I do like that idea, but...
    ...what would he be doing in 1913? Unless you mean he's somehow followed the Doctor there? If so, how I wonder?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    The original book was pre-Time War though, so other Time Lords could be brought in.

Plus the original was more about The Doctor learning about humanity, whereas this one he's actually hiding from the baddies.
  • EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    indeed Stephen has yet to let us down :D next few weeks are looking good
    I'm just hoping the second half of this is going to be as fab as the first! ... I have no doubts that Stephen is going to come up with some magic though! ... certainly looks like it's going to be a good couple of weeks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    kw4121 wrote: »
    i was just looking at the name of the preminiton kid ( from love actually) in the story his name is TIM LATIMER!
    It's an anagram of TIME MITRAL, which could pretty much equate to Time God. Interestingly, Mitral, is also "of the heart". Of course, this is all clutching at scarecrow straw.
  • ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Balbi85 wrote: »
    The original book was pre-Time War though, so other Time Lords could be brought in.

Plus the original was more about The Doctor learning about humanity, whereas this one he's actually hiding from the baddies.

Yes, I'm having problems reconciling the idea that the Doctor, this alien who stumbles into alien invasions, meets all kinds of nasties, outwits entire star fleets etc. has suddenly decided to run and hide and in an ineffective manner that puts himself in jeopardy as well as his companion.

Doesn't seem to ring true to his character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Probably part of the arc for the rest of the series imo.

Time techonology? Only one race has them. I'm sure noone else could master (?) it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's the bit I'm thinking of, it's around 26mins in, immediately following where the scarecrow kidnaps the little girl.

Here's a cap of the scene: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4687/who1pl1.jpg

While the van can clearly been seen in this cap, it is barely there when I watch it on my 32" W/S TV because it's so close to the top of the screen it's almost in the "overscan" area. I assume that might be why they either missed it or didn't bother about it.

The reason it's so visible in the screen-cap is, of course, that PC screens don't have an "overscan" :D

One final annoyance. I went looking for the novel the other day. It was on Amazon and Ebay at between £20-35 :eek: Also supposedly serialised here but of course it's not there now :(
    Even in that screencap - you still have to look for it - its not obvious, obvious. Your eye is drawn to the fake men rather than the white van that you can barely see especially in a clip which only last for a few seconds.
  • GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priggy wrote: »
    Even in that screencap - you still have to look for it - its not obvious, obvious. Your eye is drawn to the fake men rather than the white van that you can barely see especially in a clip which only last for a few seconds.
    It's a bit more noticeable when you watch the show due to the fact that it's moving along that road at quite a speed! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit more noticeable when you watch the show due to the fact that it's moving along that road at quite a speed! ;)

it's not that noticeable as i watched it 3 times so far and i didn't spot it. You must have incredible observational skills to have spotted it first time around.
  • MJEMJE Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Any chance of a 'mm:ss'. I was watching out for it during the BBC3 repeat and didn't notice it. I could see a 'white area' in the background but it didn't seem to be anything in particular, maybe a house, perhaps you need an HD screen to see it?

K

No mm:ss but as I said earlier it's the scene where you see 3 buckets on sticks and the kids are shooting at them with the machine gun. It's a white trailer moving on the road in the far distance. About 25mins in, after the scene where the little girl is taken by the scarecrows.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, here's a really flimsy...er...theory:
    Hugh Latimer was a Bishop in the 15-16th century. Bishops are close to God who is also known as Lord, therefore Tim Latimer = Tim(e) Lord

I shall fetch my (trench)coat.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a delivery van, circa 1913! ;)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote: »
    It's an anagram of TIME MITRAL, which could pretty much equate to Time God. Interestingly, Mitral, is also "of the heart". Of course, this is all clutching at scarecrow straw.

I don't think so. The idea sounds plausible enough.
    I thought that Tim was probably a time lord due to him being hyper intelligent.
    He knows the answers to questions that the Doctor would know.

When Tim saw the watch the first voice that we heard said 'Time Lord'

When The Doctor went to get a book with Tim there he said to Tim something about men hiding their true selves.
    It made me think that this may possibly apply equally to Tim Latimer as it did to the Doctor as they were both a part of that scene.
    I was thinking last night that Tim may also be a Time Lord hiding in a boy's body and hiding himself away in a similar manner to how the Doctor is.

Watch all the scenes with Tim Latimer....he is VERY aware.

He could be Saxon, he could be Captain Jack, he could be a Timelord, he could be the Derek Jacobi character.
    He could well be any of these.
    Not really a spoiler but I read a rumour that when Torchwood was on a young Hartnell version of The Doctor may turn up at some point.
    So at the back of my mind I've also got a feeling that he could even be an earlier version of the Doctor in the form of a boy.
    There's going to be a reason for his pre-cog abilities and I think that it's a fair guess that he's a time lord. One reason being is that when he bumped into Martha and got a future flashback of the future, when he said Martha he said it as though he recognised her as Martha and not as the maid.

The boy, Derek Jacobi, and the Face of Boe may even all be the same character. Maybe even Saxon is also an incarnation of this being. Saxon could also be the Face of Boe.

Spoiler tags just in case.....
    We know that whatever Archangel is, it is in the possession of Saxon(due to it's logo also being on the laptop of Saxon's female assistant last week), and we know that whatever Archangel is it allows Martha's mobile phone to connect to a network that spans across space and time. So Saxon may be spying on The Doctor via the eyes of Tim Latimer. A bit like remote viewing.

Why is the Face of Boe so wise and know everything?
    Maybe because he's always had access to this Archangel technology and can see everything at any point of time from wherever he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Latimer is Saxon either in body or by means of Saxon seeing things through Tim Latimer's eyes.
    Last night I was even thinking that The Doctor may have hidden his real personality in Tim latimer so he could keep an eye on things. I thought this because the plan of hiding out indefinitely would be a plan with no end. How would The Doctor and Martha get out of this plan? Would the Doctor need to hide for ever? How long did he need to hide for? There must have to be something extra to spring them out of this dead end other than just wait until the Family catch up with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balbi85 wrote: »
    Probably part of the arc for the rest of the series imo.

Time techonology? Only one race has them. I'm sure noone else could master (?) it?
    Saxon has Time Technology
    The clue has already been there on screen.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Well, bugger me!!! Have I just witnessed one of the best Dr Who's ever? I hope the second part is as sublime as this then I've a feeling I have.

Utter class from start to finish. Up there with the best of them.

IggyTheSmidge
    Yep! Still waiting for one where they make the victim scream in tune to the start of the credits, like they used to, though.

:D
    I'd forgotten about that, it used to scare me to death as as kid everytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like that idea, but...
    ...what would he be doing in 1913? Unless you mean he's somehow followed the Doctor there? If so, how I wonder?
    ...possibly by following the signal of Martha's phone
  • ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor is in fact the white van that sped past in the background
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    No it's Colin Baker.
    Somebody on 'Outpost Gallifrey' has posted the sketches from the book that match up perfectly with the features of the faces of old Doctor Who publicity photos which have been mirror reversed.

Strangely, it's the features of the Hartnell image which don't match up. The pose in the sketch does match up with the Hartnell pose from the publicity photo, but the facial features are well out, and it's as though it's another actor completely.
    Somebody might be mistaken in thinking that they may have an actor lined up to play Hartnell in some future episode in a future series. Because that's not Hartnell's face. He didn't have really fat cheeks like that.

Is it possibly a picture of Richard Hurndall, who played the part of the first Doctor in lieu of William Hartnell in the "Five Doctors" story in 1983? They might not have had official publicity photos as way back as 1963-66.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    This may have already been answered, but how close to the book is the episode?
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The Doc did not realise the significance of it - it was just his watch. And no doubt he did when anyone else would do with their pocketwatch - put it on a table, sideboard or mantlepiece.

Why didn't he give the watch to Martha and tell her to keep it safe?