MOSCOW - IAAF World Championships 2013

Comments

• posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    OK, but who in the GB team got selected after not doing well at the national champs? KJT & Gemili weren't there, but they were winning at the U23 champs instead, and more than justified their selection this week. Maybe there's a case for Rutherford, but Tomlinson couldn't get the A standard so really he didn't deserve to go either. Beyond that I don't see who you are complaining about.

Furthermore, that fact is that in some events you can win our national championships with some pretty mediocre times. I'd rather selectors considered performances over the whole season against an international fields over placing too much weight on 1 weekends performance.

Nice try but I don't think you're going to win this one on tiny details like facts or common sense:D
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    The Net wrote: »
    Stunty wrote: »
    Caption ..... 'This is how the Brits identify their ex-drug cheats'.

:D:o

top posts guys :cool:
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    The hypocrisy in the way ex drugs cheats are treated (especially track and field athletes) by certain individuals really grates. I suspect Dwain would be more welcome had he served time for murder before rejoining the team :rolleyes:

What hypocrisy? I have never expressed any other kind of belief than it is wrong to cheat.

I don't like drug cheats, end of.

They should be banned for life, cheating plays no part in my kind of sport.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    We might still get some more medals. Can't help but think that some of those Russians doped up big time to try and ensure success on home soil.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    We might still get some more medals. Can't help but think that some of those Russians doped up big time to try and ensure success on home soil.
    Maybe the Russians thought that last year?
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice try but I don't think you're going to win this one on tiny details like facts or common sense:D

Oh well, it's worth a shot ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hate to say it but a) I think you're probably right but b) if they've escaped the earlier purges they're probably going to get away with it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    OK, but who in the GB team got selected after not doing well at the national champs? KJT & Gemili weren't there, but they were winning at the U23 champs instead, and more than justified their selection this week. Maybe there's a case for Rutherford, but Tomlinson couldn't get the A standard so really he didn't deserve to go either. Beyond that I don't see who you are complaining about.

Furthermore, that fact is that in some events you can win our national championships with some pretty mediocre times. I'd rather selectors considered performances over the whole season against an international fields over placing too much weight on 1 weekends performance.

I understand what your saying, but if we had a better selection process do you really think those with 'mediocre' times would even compete?

Nope you could and should only enlist athletes with the A and possible B standard in training and other domestic training, just a thought.
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I just don't think we can afford to adopt a cut-throat selection system - we need to allow for injuries on the day etc. It works well for USA as they have so much strength in depth they can afford to leave the odd medal contender at home if it comes to that. And same for Jamaica in the sprints though is it applied across all events?
    You could imagine US athletes taking legal action if they had the British system. Remember last year when we left out 800m women with the A standard and took the young girl with the B standard. Lawsuits would have been flying around if that had been in America.
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    Maybe the Russians thought that last year?
    I've said before that they went on the record (foreign minister) and accused us of rigging the games.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    What hypocrisy? I have never expressed any other kind of belief than it is wrong to cheat.

I don't like drug cheats, end of.

They should be banned for life, cheating plays no part in my kind of sport.

Cheating shouldn't play any part in anything. Period! Yet, it seems certain types of cheating is ok. That's the hypocrisy and the point wasn't directed at you specifically.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said before that they went on the record (foreign minister) and accused us of rigging the games.
    And the consensus is it was bollocks as there is no evidence for it right?

So why stoop to their (or some individuals) level then?
    Forum Member
    It is always an incentive to do well when any games are in your own country.

Same went for the GB team last year,and same for the Russians this year.

I do have some confidence in the drug testing regime now, so do feel that any cheat will be caught ...... eventually.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could imagine US athletes taking legal action if they had the British system. Remember last year when we left out 800m women with the A standard and took the young girl with the B standard. Lawsuits would have been flying around if that had been in America.

Exactly which is why it makes sense for America. Here it doesn't.
  • OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    The hypocrisy in the way ex drugs cheats are treated (especially track and field athletes) by certain individuals really grates. I suspect Dwain would be more welcome had he served time for murder before rejoining the team :rolleyes:

This bothers me also as I suspect people are more bothered about PED than 'recreational drugs' in sport. Most PED aren't even illegal (outside sport) which makes the whole thing even more of a double standard.

The FA continue to chose to keep quiet about Premier League footballers who use 'drugs'. Of course Mutu isn't the only footballer to be caught in the last decade. Just the only one sacrificed. In football, weed is ok, coke is worse, PED - well that's not acceptable. what?! Sport, it's a funny old game.
    Forum Member
    Cheating shouldn't play any part in anything. Period! Yet, it seems certain types of cheating is ok. That's the hypocrisy and the point wasn't directed at you specifically.

Ohhh ok, sorry I took it personally.

What cheating is allowed then ..... diving in football? I hate that too.

For me if you have to cheat to win it is only your own conscience you are cheating, and defrauding your fellow competitors. It is all money induced though these days, the rewards are too great.

Back in the day when the GDR, Russians and Eastern Block were up to all sorts, it was mainly the regimes of the country that forced them to cheat, and not necessarily the financial rewards.
  • shubstarshubstar Posts: 225
    Forum Member

Michael Johnson could not defend his 200m title at Sydney 2000 as he got injured during the trials.
    He was the world record holder and yet the USA did not pick him for that event.
    He still won the 400 metres at Sydney (as he had qualified for that before the injury).

So we are complaining about our "stronger" athletes... Imagine not taking the defending champion and world record holder!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »
    I understand what your saying, but if we had a better selection process do you really think those with 'mediocre' times would even compete?

Nope you could and should only enlist athletes with the A and possible B standard in training and other domestic training, just a thought.

Erm, you quoted the rules yourself earlier - we don't take athletes to champs without at least a B standard. In competition, not training. You now seem to be advocating a more lenient approach :confused:
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »

Please tell me what this "better" process should be, because you've been bleating on about it for ages but haven't come out with an actual solution.

If we only picked athletes with the A standard to even get to nationals, which is what I think you're saying, there would be events with no entries, and that's not what I want to see from British Athletics. At the moment we are able to nurture talented athletes at any distance, and in the field events as well. Anything else would be a huge step back for the sport in this country.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC hadn't kept banging on about the GB team running out of the handover box, nobody would have probably noticed. Now all the other broadcasters can tell the other teams the BBC spotted it.

The BBC have their own cameras which are different from the World feed. Naturally they concentrate on the Brits....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Exactly which is why it makes sense for America. Here it doesn't.

But didn't a Taekwondo athlete do this last year because he wasn't selected and he was a world number one?

Aaron Cook.
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ picked out the highlight of the tournament for me; the men's 400m hurdles final. Mad dash for the line.

The achievements are unquestionable, but the Mo Farah lovefest over the week is a bit sickly. In the manner of a tasty cheesecake....you can get too much.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The BBC have their own cameras which are different from the World feed. Naturally they concentrate on the Brits....

Well DUH of course they concentrate on the Brits. That's not what I said.
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    This was a get together in Loughborough at the start of the season, why they weren't there will come out in the wash. But they were both named in the 4x100 squad

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2013-news-page/june-2013/16-07-13-world-champs-team/

and were at the holding camp in Barcelona for 10 days prior to the event, so plenty of practice time.

The women's 4x400 have proved that if you train and run together at every opportunity you build up team spirit and improve technically .you can't do that in two weeks at a training camp or at the venue, at this stage you need to be tight and refining things , too late! ....look at the men's 4x100, they train hard together and do their best but still make mistakes ,relays are teamwork ,the selectors have definitely taken a stand otherwise the others girls would've run
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, you quoted the rules yourself earlier - we don't take athletes to champs without at least a B standard. In competition, not training. You now seem to be advocating a more lenient approach :confused:

Their are plenty of domestic competitions going on in the UK, so if we select athletes, with A and B standard times from their PB's then maybe pitting the against one another and they win, maybe they will be ready for the pressure of world champs...etc

We can't even beat out european counterparts most of the time and even they hardly medal...so something is broken and needs fixing.
This discussion has been closed.