Is There Anything That ISN'T Offensive?

Comments

• DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    being offended on other peoples behalf is the wost thing of all.

it should be down to the person it was said to . to take action if they want too.

Totally. From my own personal perspective I'd find it patronising if anyone chose to be offended on my behalf. Especially if I wasn't offended in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Out of interest, have you seen any of them on here? Because I've looked long and hard and only found a few posts by black people, who said they weren't offended at all. (Obviously I understand that not all posters feel the need to declare their ethnicity before posting, but I suspect in a discussion like this, they would probably consider it relevant).

Any chance you're committing the cardinal sin of being offended on behalf of other people?

Just sayin'

all the black posters i've come across on here have said they were offended. unfortunately some threads have been deleted including one that was started by another black forum member about how DS is prejudiced.

I see you are trying to find out my ethnicity. here's a question, if i was personally offended why would it matter what colour i am. or do you judge people by the colour of their skin first and foremost?
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally. From my own personal perspective I'd find it patronising if anyone chose to be offended on my behalf. Especially if I wasn't offended in the first place.

OK. An example for you.

A kid is being bullied in school because they are overweight. They are too scared to stand up for themselves as they don't have any friends to back them up. Is it wrong for the teacher to step in and punish the bullies?
    Forum Member
    Just to tidy up history - it was the black Civil Rights Movement that took to using it in order to counteract white use of the word. In the mid-1960s, long before rap (as we know it) existed. :)

ok fair point
  • NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    In the case of Carole who clearly did not mean it in a derogaroty sense, BB warned her just because she used the word. Similar case to Emily who was ejected years ago. i don't think she meant it as an insult at all but do you think she was justified in saying the word.

There is a long history of why the word is not used commonly now therefore people have their right to be offended if they hear it.

And why do you assume people who are offended by the N word don't have the common sense to distinguish the context it's used in? that's a little insulting.

the majority of black people would take offence of another race using the word regardless of context.

And you can discuss the word without actually using it.

I never said they don't have common sense, the reason people don't put things in context might be several, lack of entirety, lack of education through no fault of one's own(age or financial), personal investment in the subject, personal bias and so on. We are all complicated beings so its good to try and learn I myself being one. :)

The reason its being banned in media is because it might popularize the word, it still can and should be used in educating the current and the next generation.

Mediation is not the only way people learn, just because its use on media is off limits doesn't mean its is a banned word. You can still use it in context in an educational essay.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    JonDoe wrote: »
    B*llocks. I refer you to my last post.

but it could make matters wost for the people you are taking offence on behalf of.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    NaughtyNan wrote: »
    Rappers in America can get a life. lol

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you at all. I think the N word can be used in books and in discussions. Only time its use is incorrect when its said as derogatory remark. The reason BB gives warning is not because the actual word causes offense its because people can't distinguish the context of a word being used and might take offence to it. Its a warning for 'possible' offence that it ''might'' cause.
    It seems that people are just ready to be offended the instant they hear something is deemed to be offensive.

Do you get offended every single time you hear the N word irrespective of the context its used in?

I think that there are so many stoic,stiff upper lipped types who try to make out that those who are offended by certain words are too or overly sensitive. But more times than not they aren't the ones being targeted. It's so easy to point the finger whilst having a laugh at someone else's expense.

There was a woman who loved the so called comedian frankie Boyle ;so she purchased some tickets to see him. She loved what he was doing,that was until he started telling jokes about children with down's syndrome.

He was making fun about their appearance and their life expectancy,etc,etc. . Which made this woman upset to the extent that she got up and left. Which also prompted frankie to say or intimate;' you know what you're getting when you come to one of my shows'.

The thing that upset this woman was that her son has down's syndrome. What I take from that is' frankie is hilarious,that is until I or my family are the butt of his jokes'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    OK. An example for you.

A kid is being bullied in school because they are overweight. They are too scared to stand up for themselves as they don't have any friends to back them up. Is it wrong for the teacher to step in and punish the bullies?

Thats not what they were implying

You are choosing 1 person

This is about offending everyone in the Muslim world (in Rons case)

and trying to say u are representing their views
  • sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    What absolute guff. Every time someone gets pulled up for racism, islamaphobia, etc, that persons defence is always 'oh you can't say anything these days!'

No, you just can't say anything racist, sexist or homophobic these days. And thank god for that.

Just stop bring racist, okay? It's not that hard!

So when a man walks down the street and two muslims try to hack his head off thats nothing.........who is the racist here?:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gina_Rules wrote: »
    You don't really believe that - do you?

Yes I believe that, why would I type it.

The conflict in Northern Ireland is one that is centred around religion, however shall I brand all Catholics and Protestant around the world the same as what it seems is a small minority of people, whom fight in the name of religion, however that isn't their real agenda is it?

They fight because this is part of their character, they are angry people that want to cause destruction, regardless of their cause!

Why can't people get that concept? Terrorist organisations are a group of men and women, who are angry with the world and have found people with common interests and they use religion to justify their evils...plain and simple theory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but it could make matters wost for the people you are taking offence on behalf of.

I've just told you I'm not offended on the behalf of anyone. I'm offended by racism on behalf of myself and the society in which I have to live. I don't want to live in a society where casual racism is commonplace, it would be horrible.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. An example for you.

Of course not.

You can't lump everything in to the same category. I don't find that comparable. My point there was to speak on behalf as myself as an adult ....... from my own perspective.
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Lol, that doesn't even make any sense. :D

What, you think I'm judging him on his pretty face? :D

I'm judging him on what I know of his footballing history, (trust me, he's not known as a football icon for nothing), and his manner and general demeanour in the BB house. And yes, given a choice of which of those hms I'd like to have a drink in a pub with, he would be my No.1 choice. :cool:

you said after 5 mins you can tell he's a nice guy. you didn't mention anything about his history in your previous post.
    Forum Member

same here if i want to say something i would.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    sheils1 wrote: »
    So when a man walks down the street and two muslims try to hack his head off thats nothing.........who is the racist here?:rolleyes:

Who said it was nothing you are making the assumption all Muslims are the same

Guess you think all Priests are pedos to

All Catholics and Christians want to kill gays

No in each case it's just a very very small minority
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Anything that's not derogatory to people of different race, religion, gender, sexuality or ability.

That leaves pretty much everything you'll ever need to say to anyone about anything at all.

Is that enough?
    You can't criticise a religion now? Amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Love_able wrote: »
    Yes I believe that, why would I type it.

The conflict in Northern Ireland is one that is centred around religion, however shall I brand all Catholics and Protestant around the world the same as what it seems is a small minority of people, whom fight in the name of religion, however that isn't their real agenda is it?

They fight because this is part of their character, they are angry people that want to cause destruction, regardless of their cause!

Why can't people get that concept? Terrorist organisations are a group of men and women, who are angry with the world and have found people with common interests and they use religion to justify their evils...plain and simple theory.

I could be wrong but i think u will find Islam has a number of Jihads

one is to fight against any enemy of Islam

which is often stated as anyone who isnt Islamic

obviously the word "fight" is maybe taught differently by different preachers etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargate03 wrote: »
    Thats not what they were implying

You are choosing 1 person

It's about a minority. One person is a minority in a school of two hundred kids. Four million people are a minority in a country of seventy million.
    stargate03 wrote: »
    This is about offending everyone in the Muslim world (in Rons case)

and trying to say u are representing their views

I'm representing my own views. My own views that have been informed by living in a multi-racial society, by seeing racism, sexism, homophobia and by me not liking it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok fair point
    No argument?
    Blimey! You're refreshing! Stay around ;):D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheils1 wrote: »

The fact they are muslims should be irrelevant, the fact they were mentally ill and no-one sort treatment for them should be the issue.

Its easy for people with fragile minds to be led astray and brainwashed into believing that what their fragile minds are telling them is the correct thing to do.

Just look at what peer pressure can do to people, turn seemingly good people into, murders, drugs addicts, just by associating with the wrong type of person/people.
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

i will allways critcise religion as its not breaking the law is it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Offended people.....its ok, be offended, i,m offended everytime I see a boyband on the television, it doesnt mean the worlds ending!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

Of course you can criticise it. I can also criticise your ability to read.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all the black posters i've come across on here have said they were offended. unfortunately some threads have been deleted including one that was started by another black forum member about how DS is prejudiced.

I see you are trying to find out my ethnicity. here's a question, if i was personally offended why would it matter what colour i am. or do you judge people by the colour of their skin first and foremost?

Gaaaaaahhhhhhh! Now you're just being silly, so I'll leave you to it.

:D
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i will allways critcise religion as its not breaking the law is it.
    Yeah, I was amazed at that comment. What can seem derogatory to some religious people can be seen to others as intelligence when criticising religion.

People being overly politically correct for the sake of it. Ron getting a warning was right in my opinion but if some one wants to question Islam or Christianity or any cult, then they should be allowed to do so.