Options

Why are we so afraid of highlighting race, even when it matters?

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Cheer up, Keyser, there's 8 less this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-29054064

Thanks for that. Excellent news and this has to continue right across the country. Hopefully the disgrace of Rotherham will have a positive effect. The Daily Fail reported an upcoming Manchester swoop on Sunday. I've seen nothing about it so far. Probably but hopefully not, their usual tripe.
    I'd like to see Ms May order an investigation into the Police Force's inherent misogyny. It was supposed to be improving, This case proves otherwise for too many people. Without this rudimentary shift victims will continue to be abused.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    No but in this instance it is being carried out by groups of Pakistanis which everyone has been afraid to point out for fear of being accused of racism by the lefties.

That's no excuse. You cannot blame "lefties" for the authorities' failure to take action when they should have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheer up, Keyser, there's 8 less this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-29054064

It's good that arrests are being made, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    That's no excuse. You cannot blame "lefties" for the authorities' failure to take action when they should have done.

At least the report goes much further than the racist element. Many people have been shaken up and about time.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great news - lets hope it happens all over the country now.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Well yes, you can, because seemingly, those in authority were 'lefties' too!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It's good that arrests are being made, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Is this the new leftie approach, agree with arrests but question whether those arrested should be proven guilty first?
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the new leftie approach, agree with arrests but question whether those arrested should be proven guilty first?
    There's nothing new about habeus corpus.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What is "leftie" about "innocent until proven guilty"? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is "leftie" about "innocent until proven guilty"? :confused:

Other than a leftie such as yourself, who else would question "innocent until proven guilty" at time of arrest.?

People under suspicion of whatever are arrested every so what's the differnce with this lot, why should anything be proven first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Other than a leftie such as yourself, who else would question "innocent until proven guilty" at time of arrest.?
    I'm not questioning it. It's others here who are doing that. And I don't know why bringing this up makes me a "leftie"...
    People under suspicion of whatever are arrested every so what's the differnce with this lot, why should anything be proven first?
    Because that's the way our justice system works. The police gather the evidence, the person is charged, and the court decides whether they are guilty or not. Not sure why I need to explain this!
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I'm not questioning it. It's others here who are doing that. And I don't know why bringing this up makes me a "leftie"...

Because that's the way our justice system works. The police gather the evidence, the person is charged, and the court decides whether they are guilty or not. Not sure why I need to explain this!

You don't need to, and the fact that you are makes you appear foolish. They've been arrested, taken off the street. I rejoice that the police have acted, I hope they've acted correctly. As you say, they'll now be charged, court, remanded in all probability, and tried. IF found guilty, banged up. I haven't declared them guilty, that's all in your rather curious imagination.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Read your post, you said "It's good that arrests are being made, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?"

They'd all be innocent until proven guilty but guilt doesn't have to be proven before or at time of arrest, you saying what I quoted above is a typical leftie response and so that makes you one.

Re you second paragraph, I know how the justice system works thank you but I was talking about at time of arrest and not what happens after that.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right... Let me tell everybody what is racist and what isn't:

Saying... An Asian gang have been found guilty of sexually assaulting and raping children... Is not racist, that is a fact.

Saying... All Asian men are rapists... IS racist, because you are disparaging a whole group of people based on nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Right... Let me tell everybody what is racist and what isn't:

Saying... An Asian gang have been found guilty of sexually assaulting and raping children... Is not racist, that is a fact.

Saying... All Asian men are rapists... IS racist, because you are disparaging a whole group of people based on nothing.

Asian isn't a fact. Saying Pakistani isn't racist. Asia is a huge continent made up of 48 countries.. My ethnicity isn't European.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Asian is not a fact. Asia is a huge continent made up of 48 countries.. My ethnicity is not European.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_people

No point in being pedantic... Replacing the word Asian with Pakistani or South Asian wouldnt make a bit of difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No-one has said they're guilty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No point in being padantic... Replacing the word Asian with Pakistani or South Asian wouldnt make a bit of difference.

I'm not being pedantic. It's incorrect. Southern Asian covers 7 nations. What is wrong with naming the country? I take it you are European or a Russian is and Asian and not a Russian? This gang are Pakistani.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being pedantic. It's incorrect. South Asian covers 7 nations. What is wrong with naming the country? I take it you are European or a Russian is and Asian and not a Russian? This gang are Pakistani.
    OFFS!

You are basically agreeing with me!

I'm out!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Interesting article on this topic, written by a Sikh

Perhaps it's unfair to malign Asians generally, with an issue which has arisen from one specific part of the Asian community.

No point in being pedantic... Replacing the word Asian with Pakistani or South Asian wouldnt make a bit of difference.

Non Pakistanis take offence at being lumped in. See article above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OFFS!

You are basically agreeing with me!

I'm out!

I'm not at all. Naming perpetrators as Asian was also another pitfall of this case as well as being offensive to other Asian nationalities. It's a sweeping generalisation.
    I feel the same about labelling them as Muslims. I'm not saying you do. Do we name all sexual abuse perpetrator's religion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No-one has said they're guilty.

Some have assumed that they are. I wouldn't have made the comment otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Read your post, you said "It's good that arrests are being made, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?"

They'd all be innocent until proven guilty but guilt doesn't have to be proven before or at time of arrest, you saying what I quoted above is a typical leftie response and so that makes you one.

Re you second paragraph, I know how the justice system works thank you but I was talking about at time of arrest and not what happens after that.

OK, there's obviously some misunderstanding here. Of course guilt doesn't have to be proven before arrest. All I meant to say was that we shouldn't assume people are guilty just because they've been arrested, as some have done here. And there's nothing "leftie" about pointing that out, as I hope you'd agree!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't read all of the thread (much preferred the other one)

If it hasn't been mentioned.

From a BBC article of extremist material being shown in the "Trojan Horse" schools
    Mr Clarke said that he had come across a reluctance within the city council to confront the problems.

He said this had been driven by fears of being accused of racism and worries that it would upset "social cohesion".

There were also questions about the governance of academies, which are outside of council control - with Mr Clarke saying that who was responsible for academies could be "opaque".

While there might not be explicit evidence of a specific Trojan Horse conspiracy, Mr Clarke said, there had been clear signs of people acting with a "common mindset" and "shared objectives" and using tactics that had been "remarkably similar".

He said it would be surprising if there were not similar problems in other parts of the country.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29028960
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Haven't read all of the thread (much preferred the other one)

If it hasn't been mentioned.

From a BBC article of extremist material being shown in the "Trojan Horse" schools

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29028960

Yes I posted that earlier in one of the threads. There is absolutely no question that this is going on all over the country wherever the opportunity arises. That's how extremists operate when they can get away with it. How old were the children being shown this horror FGS? It's shocking it's abusive and how can anyone in the 21st century think it's acceptable. We have censorship laws in the civilised world for a very good reason..