Options

Why are people confused over "The Curator"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Notice that those who believe he is the future doctor are basing it on thing's that were in the scene, pointing out all he knew etc, whereas with those who don't think he is the future doctor, there argument seems to amount to he isn't just because they don't want to believe it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I wasn't confused until other peoples theories confused me.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO there is no ambiguity in that scene whatsoever. He outright says "i am you or you are me" or something along those lines. THen says that he will at one point decide to somehow master Regeneration and choose how he looks and he chooses to return to "some old favourites" then winks. It's pretty obvious what he is saying but as some have pointed out. He could have came out with a neon flashing sign saying "I AM THE DOCTOR HEAR ME ROAR" and some people would still claim that he was some sort of crazy person the doctor meets on a journey yet to be seen. Up to them that.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    IMO there is no ambiguity in that scene whatsoever. He outright says "i am you or you are me" or something along those lines. THen says that he will at one point decide to somehow master Regeneration and choose how he looks and he chooses to return to "some old favourites" then winks. It's pretty obvious what he is saying but as some have pointed out. He could have came out with a neon flashing sign saying "I AM THE DOCTOR HEAR ME ROAR" and some people would still claim that he was some sort of crazy person the doctor meets on a journey yet to be seen. Up to them that.

Sorry. I must have missed the line when he said he will master regeneration and choose how he looks. Which bit was that again?
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    F1etch wrote: »

In no part of the dialogue is it direct and to the point of saying he is the Doctor. It is heavily implied, but with enough wriggle room to leave a get-out clause:
    DOCTOR: I could be a curator. I'd be great at curating. I'd be the Great Curator. I could retire and do that. I could retire and be the curator of this place.
    CURATOR: You know, I really think you might.
    (Yes, that is the current silver haired version of the fourth Doctor you just heard. There's Tom, leaning on a walking stick.)
    DOCTOR: I never forget a face.
    CURATOR: I know you don't. And in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favourites, eh?
    (The Doctor winks.)
    CURATOR: You were curious about this painting, I think. I acquired it in remarkable circumstances. What do you make of the title?
    DOCTOR: Which title? There's two. No More or Gallifrey Falls.
    CURATOR: Oh, you see, that's where everybody's wrong. It's all one title. Gallifrey Falls No More. Now, what would you think that means, eh?
    DOCTOR: That Gallifrey didn't fall. It worked. It's still out there.
    CURATOR: I'm only a humble curator. I'm sure I wouldn't know.
    DOCTOR: Then where is it?
    CURATOR: Where is it indeed? Lost. Shush. Perhaps. Things do get lost, you know. And now you must excuse me. Oh, you have a lot to do.
    DOCTOR: Do I?
    CURATOR: Mmm.
    DOCTOR: Is that what I'm supposed to do now? Go looking for Gallifrey?
    CURATOR: Oh, it's entirely up to you. Your choice, eh? I can only tell you what I would do if I were you. Oh, if I were you. Oh, perhaps I was you, of course. Or perhaps you are me. Congratulations.
    DOCTOR: Thank you very much.
    CURATOR: Or perhaps it doesn't matter either way. Who knows, eh? Who knows?

I think you'll find that there is more than enough ambiguity in the actual wording - people seem so sure he was definite, and he just wasn't.

Yet I still think the curator is the Doctor.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    DOCTOR: I never forget a face.
    CURATOR: I know you don't. And in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favourites, eh?

Some of this dialogue might be given an extra (or alternative meaning) with the mystery surrounding Capaldi's face that will apparently be revisited in the next series.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Notice that those who believe he is the future doctor are basing it on thing's that were in the scene, pointing out all he knew etc, whereas with those who don't think he is the future doctor, there argument seems to amount to he isn't just because they don't want to believe it.

And the people who believe that it's ambiguous are basing it on what's in the scene, i.e. the fact that every single part of it is prefixed by 'maybe', or 'possibly', or 'perhaps', or 'if'. In other words, the way that it's explicitly written, word for word, to be ambiguous.

The words were written for Tom to say, as someone who has played the Doctor, and who is now older. They're almost meaningless as anything other than a nod to the audience.