Options

TV Player 241 Channel to Close

clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I believe the TV player channel on 241 is to close. It appears this is down to a lack of users, however they are developing apps for set top box makers and Smart TVs.

I wonder if this makes some of those music channels more likely on their own via maybe com8?

Comments

• Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    I believe the TV player channel on 241 is to close. It appears this is down to a lack of users, however they are developing apps for set top box makers and Smart TVs.

I wonder if this makes some of those music channels more likely on their own via maybe com8?

If this is true, what is the source of information where this was got from? If this is down to lack of user's, would it not help to get the TVP+ service on to the HD boxes and get more subscriber's this way? I for one would be very happy to subscribe, but the only way that I can sensibly do it is via a Manhattan HD box which I have and so far there hasn't been any info from TVP whether this is going to happen or not. Does anyone have anymore information on this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is direct from them as some of the channels haven't been working recently and that is because they are dropping the channel.

However they didn't say which boxes or TVs, other than we know Samsung advertise their app as being an exclusive, yet it doesn't show up on my Samsung TV yet.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it has closed already as just turned it on and message saying its closed.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just noticed it has closed I used the service aton my Samsung full HD TV to watch Heart TV and once in a while Euronews.
    It's a shame the service has closed on Freeview.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was the same in using it on my Samsung for the music channels.

Have you got the TV Player app on your TV interface?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, rather odd considering they've just added the pay channels on EETV boxes. Was rather handy for the music services although most have been broken for a while. Oh well, I guess I shall retune that FTA Satellite box that hasn't been tuned to 28.2'E since before Eurobirds retunes earlier this year! (It's used for the F1 on RTL).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we have to assume it wasn't cheap to operate and maybe better to build apps for the connected TVs than do it that way?

Could get some of the music channels maybe go on to Freeview themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I was the same in using it on my Samsung for the music channels.

Have you got the TV Player app on your TV interface?

No I not hot the app on my TV interface.

Darren
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Could get some of the music channels maybe go on to Freeview themselves?
    Music channels don't get any significant audiences now days even if there was space available on one of the muxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Music channels don't get any significant audiences now days even if there was space available on one of the muxes.

Yep however those com8 channels could be cheaper to broadcast on or go like Vintage via IP channel themselves.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn i used to watch clubland tv >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope they get the app on the smart TVs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope they get the app on the smart TVs

Yes I also hope the app will come to smart TVs.
    I got the app on my Nexus 4 but is not the same watching it on that.
    I also got the app on my Nexus 7 but that been sometimes playing up in the last few months.
    I going to put the TV Player on my New IPad mini 4 when it arrives along with BBCi Player the BT Everywhere app.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that as a company they seem not very good at responding to use feedback. It's like the Smart TV app its been on the Samsung page as coming soon for at least 6months now.

Maybe the music channels will get something together themselves as I bet they have lost a fair number of viewers now.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to say but unless you are a big player the business model just doesn't seem to be working for these small players. I think a lot of people saw an opportunity with the IPTV capabilities of Freeview HD that wasn't, with hindsight, a viable opportunity. They thought they could throw a few servers together, pay for their EPG spot / minimal MUX capacity and the viewers would come rolling in. A quick winner on the coat-tails of Freeview without the need to risk investment capital in infrastructure up front.

Unfortunately I don't think that's happened, and the channel providers are not going to pay them to appear on a platform that nobody is using. You need marketing both for the product (there has been none other than the appearance in the EPG), and to persuade people to connect their TVs to the internet in the first place (even if the TV is WiFi enabled it's not a big enough attraction for people to spend time to make the connection).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the EPG position is the problem. Look how far down they are. If dedicated channels were given a proper EPG slot with normal channels then I think success would be greater.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit of a bummer. I was looking for a way to watch NHK World on my television. But the website for TVplayer still says about Freeview 241 so they are a bit naughty not updating their site.
  • Options
    hdtvfan20hdtvfan20 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Sad to see it go, as i miss cnn ans nhk. Might go to freesat someday