FM Radio Aerial

When we moved house I left behind my loft mounted FM dipole aerial.

In the new house the reception using the supplied tape aerial is very poor and now I want to put a new dipole in the loft. They seem to have disappeared from the market, none of the high street stores stock them now. The only ones on the net are exorbitantly priced, one store advertised them at £12 but then wanted nearly that for delivery!

Any suggestions or preferences, omni over dipole for instance? We only listen to the national stations, Radio 4 and Classic FM and Heart on Saturday night for the wife (Motown and Soul)

How simple is it to make your own dipole?

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    56up wrote: »
    When we moved house I left behind my loft mounted FM dipole aerial.

In the new house the reception using the supplied tape aerial is very poor and now I want to put a new dipole in the loft. They seem to have disappeared from the market, none of the high street stores stock them now. The only ones on the net are exorbitantly priced, one store advertised them at £12 but then wanted nearly that for delivery!

How simple is it to make your own dipole?

So you're talking around about £20 in total being exorbitant? I don't know why you just don't buy one.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can make one very cheaply (google FM dipole).

It sounds like you already found a reasonable deal on-line. I think I bought mine from here, but with other things so the postage wasn't quite such an issue - still more expensive than you found though...

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#FMandDAB

Cheers,
    David.
  • Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poundland do a rabbit-ears' type (the two antenna model) also Maplin do a loft or outside mounted dipole for around £8 and they also do the ribbon type for around £5-£6.

If you live near a Currys Electrical Megastore also do them....not sure about the normal stores though...but if it is just average reception, then the poundland model will do justice from what you may need.