Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says

Comments

• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    I don't get this. Why would a user pick this for their W8 install? Why not just use W7, Vista, or XP? Surely the point of using W8 would be to use the new interface.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it either on my desktop. But I would just stick with 7 rather than fuss about with tailoring W8 in this way.

I think you are asking the wrong person, I was answering Mike_1101's question.

I have now used Windows 8 Pro for a while and have suffered disk corruption problems - I tried the RTM x64 version which is generally available in October and the problem still exists so I will be sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Fortunately Microsoft are supporting Windows 7 until 2020 so there is no rush.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this. Why would a user pick this for their W8 install? Why not just use W7, Vista, or XP? Surely the point of using W8 would be to use the new interface.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it either on my desktop. But I would just stick with 7 rather than fuss about with tailoring W8 in this way.

I never ever understand this either.

People did the same thing with W7 and used XP start menu.

Why dont people just keep the OS you prefer instead of keep retroing the skin?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never ever understand this either.

People did the same thing with W7 and used XP start menu.

Why dont people just keep the OS you prefer instead of keep retroing the skin?

i admit i don't understand someone buying Windows 8 and changing it, but if someone got a new computer and windows 8 was on it then I would understand them changing it if they don't like windows 8.

I would hope that MS offers a downgrade service, so if someone who got a windows 8 machine can downgrade or upgrade depending on your opinion to windows 7.

I know they did it with windows vista, as know someone who got laptop with vista and was able to get windows Xp free as a downgrade or as he said a upgrade.

i hope they do that with windows 8, not that it will affect me as i have no intention of buying another laptop, ( I hate the things) and hopefully my next machine will be a Apple.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i admit i don't understand someone buying Windows 8 and changing it, but if someone got a new computer and windows 8 was on it then I would understand them changing it if they don't like windows 8.

I would hope that MS offers a downgrade service, so if someone who got a windows 8 machine can downgrade or upgrade depending on your opinion to windows 7.

I know they did it with windows vista, as know someone who got laptop with vista and was able to get windows Xp free as a downgrade or as he said a upgrade.

i hope they do that with windows 8, not that it will affect me as i have no intention of buying another laptop, ( I hate the things) and hopefully my next machine will be a Apple.

What do you want an Apple for, last years technology and next years prices; your too old to be a poser lol
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as the reason already given, here's another one: some people might prefer the internal aspects of Windows 8, or some other feature it offers, but prefer the conventional Windows user interface.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    What do you want an Apple for, last years technology and next years prices; your too old to be a poser lol

I like the OS and the reliability. i know people who have had a MAc for years and not one problem, saying that I do know of someone who got a Mac and had some problems, but that is mainly down to lack of memory for the software she is using, but we sorted that now.

Every time I go to my friends place and use her Mac, I love it. I am not a Apple fan as such, but they certainly know how to put computers together.

You are right the technology is nothing special and yes they are a bit pricey, which is why I did look at some second hand machines, but they hold their prices well.

Not about posing, I don't do that,, I buy things because they do what I want.

The one problem with getting a MAc is starting again with software, Final cut is not cheap, but the latest version is really good and as much as I like Vegas, final cut got some great features.

It will have to wait for a while anyway, got other things to sort out.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Age doesn't matter. Anyone can use a Mac. You don't have to be young to own one. And not all Mac users are posers either.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still haven't seen a retail shop price for this yet anywhere though i suspect the pro version will be about £200 :confused:
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Still haven't seen a retail shop price for this yet anywhere though i suspect the pro version will be about £200 :confused:

There is no retails for Windows 8 - only an upgrade and a "system builder" version though individuals are allowed to buy the system builder version if they want.

The upgrade is £15 if you buy a new PC now, £25 for an existing PC. Both of those prices get you the Pro version.

The system builder version is £50 I think.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age doesn't matter. Anyone can use a Mac.
    Obviously opening one is a different matter.
    Anyone can obviously use a computer. Even easier is a gadget tablet where 'even a numpty like me' seems to manage.

I sort of see Windows 8 cutting down on Windows 7 but with an added framework for running Metro stuff.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least if you buy the Pro version you have the choice to downgrade as far back as Vista. Presumably OEM's will provide disks with PCs so anyone who hates Windows 8 can have 7 or Vista. Just shows how much faith Microsoft have :D
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    At least if you buy the Pro version you have the choice to downgrade as far back as Vista. Presumably OEM's will provide disks with PCs so anyone who hates Windows 8 can have 7 or Vista. Just shows how much faith Microsoft have :D

Who would want to downgrade to Vista though? The only thing to do with Vista is to take a sledgehammer or steamroller to it :D And make sure you have holy water handy when in the vicinity of a Vista PC :p
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Obviously opening one is a different matter.
    Anyone can obviously use a computer. Even easier is a gadget tablet where 'even a numpty like me' seems to manage.

What do you mean by opening one? Upgrading or repairing it? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would want to downgrade to Vista though? The only thing to do with Vista is to take a sledgehammer or steamroller to it :D And make sure you have holy water handy when in the vicinity of a Vista PC :p

You wouldn't, unless you felt suicidal. Although, anything is better than Windows 8 :D
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although, anything is better than Windows 8 :D

Do you mean Windows 8, or the Windows 8 UI?

Is it worse "under the bonnet"? Not having studied it in depth I wouldn't have a clue myself, though I would guess there have been technical improvements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Do you mean Windows 8, or the Windows 8 UI?

Is it worse "under the bonnet"? Not having studied it in depth I wouldn't have a clue myself, though I would guess there have been technical improvements.

The UI is the bad part. Under the bonett it has speed improvements (such as better memory management), more bass class drivers, a better task manager, permissions for applications plus more (too many to list :D)...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Intel-Microsoft-Influence-Declining-as-Smartphones-Tablets-Rise-Analysts-342948

Quite a rounded article including predicaments for MS and Intel.

I'm still unsure whether the new lower cost Windows is Microsoft accepting a new reality or them simply benefiting from cutting out the middle man.
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't, unless you felt suicidal. Although, anything is better than Windows 8 :D

I wouldn't use Vista if it was the last OS on earth, unless I was really desperate! Vista's banned in my house anyway :D I'm not really impressed by what I've seen of W8 so far. They should have had two separate editions - one with the standard desktop interface for desktops and laptops and one with the Metro interface for tablets. Is the Metro interface also going to be on desktops and laptops?
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    There is no retails for Windows 8 - only an upgrade and a "system builder" version though individuals are allowed to buy the system builder version if they want.

The upgrade is £15 if you buy a new PC now, £25 for an existing PC. Both of those prices get you the Pro version.

The system builder version is £50 I think.

PC world are offering it for £49.99 if you pre order it.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Metro interface also going to be on desktops and laptops?
    Yes, and Win8 always boots up in Metro mode. One of the Metro coloured squares can be clicked with the mouse to switch to desktop mode. Desktop mode has the normal taskbar but no Start button or Start menu, those functions being spread about in various places. Both modes have a new set of four icons called "charms" which appear when the mouse is moved to the top right or bottom right corner of the screen.

A free third-party utility called Classic Shell is available which allows Win8 to very largely have a user interface similar to WinXP, Vista or Win7.

BTW technically Metro should now be called "Modern UI" due to a clash of name with a German supermarket chain.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    PC world are offering it for £49.99 if you pre order it.

That will be the disc version of the upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age doesn't matter. Anyone can use a Mac. You don't have to be young to own one. And not all Mac users are posers either.

I agree, age really matters not, I've far more gadgets and gizmo's than many half my age :cool: but many Apple users are posers lol. I just don't see the attraction of a machine that does not perform as well as my rather good PC (and money is not an issue for me thankfully).
    Forum Member
    I agree, age really matters not, I've far more gadgets and gizmo's than many half my age :cool: but many Apple users are posers lol. I just don't see the attraction of a machine that does not perform as well as my rather good PC (and money is not an issue for me thankfully).

Not all Apple users are posers! :p We don't all sit there wearing black turtlenecks and drinking Starbucks all day! Oh wait... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all Apple users are posers! :p We don't all sit there wearing black turtlenecks and drinking Starbucks all day! Oh wait... :D

Because of my advancing years I'm drifting off topic but I rather like turtleneck sweaters, I've a lovely post WW2 Submariner Sweater, its wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of age though, I don't think you'll find a school kid using a Mac! :eek:
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    That will be the disc version of the upgrade.

I think it's a full stand alone version not an upgrade. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-8-pro-17907965-pdt.html